Light-O-Rama Forums

Where to Buy RGB 4 Pin Connectors

mrduncan

Does anyone know where I can get any of the RGB connectors (see link below) here in the US? I definitely don't need 50 connectors and the shipping cost is more than the connectors.

http://www.aliexpress.com/item/50-pairs-4-Core-White-Waterproof-Line-15cm-long-each-male-and-female/323485474.html

You may want to research how well they work. I have read many posts abusing not to use then. Probably ok for permanent installations.

You may want to research how well they work. I have read many posts advising not to use then. Probably ok for permanent installations.

Does anyone know where I can get any of the RGB connectors (see link below) here in the US? I definitely don't need 50 connectors and the shipping cost is more than the connectors.

http://www.aliexpress.com/item/50-pairs-4-Core-White-Waterproof-Line-15cm-long-each-male-and-female/323485474.html

While you are looking be aware there are a couple different configerations of these that are NOT compatable with each other.  One has a small spade on one side of the connector that fits into a slot on the other (for alighment), another has a flat side that aligns (the type used on rainbow products).

The one in the link you provided is the type with a spade.  I have purchased 200 pairs of these and LOVE them.

Jerrymac,

Do you use anything to coat or seal the connectors against water like dielectric grease or such?  I too have read of some people being unhappy with these connectors after using them for one season and finding corrosion on the pins and sockets.  Apparently the kind they used were a plated pin and socket and not good for moisture environments.

Or are the connectors now using somehting different for pins and sockets?

It is always good to learn!

Jerrymac,

Do you use anything to coat or seal the connectors against water like dielectric grease or such?  I too have read of some people being unhappy with these connectors after using them for one season and finding corrosion on the pins and sockets.  Apparently the kind they used were a plated pin and socket and not good for moisture environments.

Or are the connectors now using somehting different for pins and sockets?

It is always good to learn!

I have these and they are sealed against the weather so corrosion has never been an issue for mine..

Some (the ones I purchased) have a neopreme compression gasket between the male and female connector.  Water proof to a point anyway.

The reason I'm asking is bought some from eBay from a China vendor (link below) and there are kinda small and the pins looks very fragile.  From some of threads I've seen when people post pictures of the AliExpress connectors, these look bigger and more sturdy.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Black-10-x-Set-Waterproof-4Pin-Female-Male-Connector-Cable-RGB-Led-Strip-/111001108021?pt=US_Car_Lighting&hash=item19d82e7e35

Another issue is that the end that you strip off the outer jacket to get to the individual wires needs to be well sealed. I am going to use some of that heat shrink tubing that has a sealer inside. While shrinking down to over lap the jacket on the pigtail and run this into the PEX tube that I will be mounting my pixel strip in.

I have 40 sets of these connectors in my display last season - the only one that had a problem was the one i split the seal on. Got most of my from Ray Wu at ALI Express along with my 1000 pixels.  No complaints here.  Trust me - you will use them, or they are easily sold. 

• 3 months later...
Another issue is that the end that you strip off the outer jacket to get to the individual wires needs to be well sealed. I am going to use some of that heat shrink tubing that has a sealer inside. While shrinking down to over lap the jacket on the pigtail and run this into the PEX tube that I will be mounting my pixel strip in.

If your looking to get the adhesive lined shrink tubing, I just picked up a 45pc package for around $4 at Harbor Freight.

I bought a bunch from Ray Wu, then found that they were different from the ones I had, so I can't use them. I'll sell them for best offer (no minimum) + shipping. I can post pictures + quantity later when I'm home.

• 2 weeks later...

In response to the multiple PM's I have received (Ok, to both of them :-) I purchased 10 pairs from Ray Wu.

Here they are.

I will sell them for best offer (no minimum) + postage. If you don't need all 10, I'll price them using the "second item auction" method.

• 3 weeks later...

I finally got around to taking pictures of the connectors:

IMG_20130703_152908.jpg

IMG_20130703_152942.jpg

I will sell to best offer (no minimum) + postage (USPS). You don't have to buy the whole lot. If I get multiple offers for less than the whole lot, then they'll be sold at the lower offer.