Light-O-Rama Forums

anyone in my area or close?

lorddeathbane

Hi im a newbie. My name is michael and i have been researching on doing this for a while now. Im kinda nervous to jump in and would love to see someone elses set up and talk tech. Im hoping there is someone in my area. I live in Salisbury Missouri. Im wanting to start off with 32 channels but im not wanting to run from a laptop. I also already have my transmiter but im wondering what is the best route to go. I have no soldering skills and hardly any fixing things skills and im hoping to find a way to do this the less painful way possible lol! I love the christmas lights and chirstmas is my favorite holiday even though up until now my holidays have been aweful. I want to start to be able to enjoy christmas again and for me this is the way to do it. Of cousre money is always a issue but i want to start this year. Im not sure how the mp3 director works and im not sure if you just need the lms file or do you need the mp3 file too? what if i get a sequence and it doesnt match the music mp3? any help i would be greatful for. Thank you and i love everyones lights displays!

Michael

I micheal Define close? 3 1/2 hrs here? Sounds like you just need Some one to ask questions when your not sure Glad to help. we all are. just do yourself a favor and speed time reading in the forums when it doesn't make since feel free to IM me or post your questions here. once you catch on it's full speed ahead.

Michael

Not hijacking this thread but I was going to post a similar thread. Wondering if anyone is using lightorama on Long Island, NY?

Just wondering.

LDB

Not sure where in MO that is. I am about a hour west of the Arch on I-70. Never mind I just looked it up. Hell I thought I was in the middle of no where. But  I am mistaken. Welcome. I think LoriP is closer than I am.

Edited by Max-Paul

I'm in Rolla.  If I am closer, it is not by much...  I think there are several folks in the KC area, though I don't know any personally.

Right, remembered you where central east to west, but forgot you are a bit further south. I suppose being in Warrenton that would make me closer.

I understand that nervous bit LDB. Myself and another newbie met with a vet and he kind of showed us a few things. First, this is a hobby that requires time and lots of reading. Being handy with a volt meter is a must. Basic understand of electricity and what not to do is between important and very important. I would be willing to guide you through some of the deeper stuff. But again you need to do the reading then I would be willing to fill in the holes and rough spots.

I am near Hannibal (Northeast Missouri) and in the same boat. I just discovered LOR this year and am hooked. I plan on buying my controllers this year, at least 2, but probably won't be ready until 2014 season. I am also wanting to learn the RGB controllers. I've been reading a lot and playing with the software. Cant wait to buy my controllers. Waiting for the sales. I'm sure i'll be asking lots of questions.

Anybody in Northeast Missouri?

• Like 1

awesome! I may need to come see you lori or max before i try to install lol! thanks every one for replying. Has anyone really used a mp3 director? im not wanting to use a laptop to control it but im not quite sure how the director works and how it would work with a fm broadcaster. would i set it all on a timer? im kinda lost on the squences too. like i need the mp3 and a lsm file?

ownload the software and play with it in demo mode. Once you get familiar with the basics, this can be easy or as hard as you want it to be. Easy being just throwing some strings of lights on bushes and trees and the house. Hard is when you start building your own elements and experimenting with the newer technology. There are plenty of how to's, tips and tricks for just about anything. Download the user manuals and watch the tutorial videos, you've got plenty of time to have a show this year. Use Google search rather than the forum search to find various topics.

Welcome to the madness and have fun!

• Like 1

I know that this is not exactly close for you, but you might consider attending the SLAM (St. Louis Area Mini) if there is one this year.  You'll have to opportunity to meet about 20-30 fellow addicts... 

I'll be willing to help with your questions.

Good Luck!

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

awesome! I may need to come see you lori or max before i try to install lol! thanks every one for replying. Has anyone really used a mp3 director? im not wanting to use a laptop to control it but im not quite sure how the director works and how it would work with a fm broadcaster. would i set it all on a timer? im kinda lost on the squences too. like i need the mp3 and a lsm file?

The MP3 Directors use a SD card to play the sequences and shows.  No PC needed.  The Mini Director needs a timer to tell the show when to start and stop.  The G3MP3 has an internal timer and will start and stop the show per your programmed schedule.  The FM transmitter connects to a small headphone style jack on the MP3 director.

You will need the LMS file and an MP3 when you sequence.  You "attach" the MP3 file to the sequence.  When you schedule a show to play a LMS file it will then include the MP3 file in with the show data.

Download the software and start playing with that!

Squencing will take the most time....A LOT OF TIME!

Controller cost is a small part, 16 strings of LED lights can cost almost as much as the controller.

Then there is extension cords....by lots and lots!

Make this your second home!

Download the software and start playing with that!

Squencing will take the most time....A LOT OF TIME!

Controller cost is a small part, 16 strings of LED lights can cost almost as much as the controller.

Then there is extension cords....by lots and lots!

Make this your second home!

1+++

This is great advice