Light-O-Rama Forums

Error Saving File

dqhall

I'd assume this question may be targeted more towards Bob or DevMike but others please chime in if you've experienced this problem.

I've created a new LAS sequence with about 200 LOR channels and 12 RGB strips totalling 1800 channels. I started by creating about 3 minutes of RGB effects; then watched in the animator and began to save the file. The save progress bar pops up and appears to be saving all the way to about 90% when it stops. After about 30 seconds this error message pops up. If I attempt to save to the local D drive with a new filename it works... sometimes. What could be causing this error?

errimage.jpg

I'm sorry, I said drive, but I meant folder.  Does the user have write permissions for the folder?

Also, what version are you using?

You mention it works "sometimes" if you use a new filename on the D drive... is the D drive not the drive you originally try to save to?

The userid does have read/write access to the folder. This folder resides on a network share which is the common location that I have been saving my LOR files for over 7 years. No changes have been made in regards to file level security for that folder.

I am current with LOR 3.9 Advanced.

Yesterday, I was not able to save the same file either to the network folder nor the local D. I would get this error.

errimage2.jpg

The error message shows an issue renaming a temporary file on your c: drive... So the issue may not be related to the drive you are trying to save to.

Might sound a bit strange - is your c drive full? Other option is some other application interfering with the temporary drive (e.g. Anti virus, search indexer)....

I have seen that error many times. I have a few questions. What is the file size of the sequence? Prior to saving were you doing a lot of sequencing/copy/paste? Do you have copy/past enabled?

This seems to me to be an error received when S3 start running out of memory.

And though it says it couldn't save the file, it may have. Make sure you "show hidden files or folders" and go to c:/users/thebaronn/AppData/Local/Temp and look for a file that is similar in size to your file and crated at the same time you were saving. If you have one, that is your LOR file. You can rename the extension and open the file. I did this many times for this sequence:

Now I am not 100% sure everything gets saved (hard to check the validity of that number of channels, but it "looked good" when played.

A few of us were pusshing the S3 limits over in this thread: http://forums.lightorama.com/index.php?/topic/25677-a-specific-question-for-lor-software-developers/page-3?

Good luck!

@Bob - Yes the D drive is a physical drive in the PC. I have full control permissions on the C and D.

@thebarron - My sequence is about 110mb compressed (LCS). I had been reading some of your posts here or over at ACL about max pixel usage and compressed files. Yes I had been doing alot of cut and paste. I also have several clipboards loaded as well. I did learn that Dan said to disable "Enable Undo Recording" and that sped things up. I may also be pushing S3 to the memory limit as you suggest (hint hint Dan, 64bit)  I will look next time I get that error in the Temp folder for those files. Good suggestion.

Thanks for the help!

• Like 1