Light-O-Rama Forums

Help get me off and running... please...

zeighty

Now the big decision - residential or pro controller?

Unless you are actually going to do a "Commercial" display such as in a city park or business, go with the residential...only difference (besides the high price), is the metal enclosure...they both have all the same features and will do the same thing.

think about what your using it for.  i know the pro ones are rated for more amps but do you really need it?  if you gonna just put a string or two per channel then your not gonna need the pro series.  besides if your gonna use leds (highly suggested) then they don't use any juice at all. 

i double up lights on channels and use alot with the controllers on my house and haven't had any issues at all.

save the money on the controller and BUY MORE LIGHTS

I have the bug - The Christmas light show bug.

2012 Christmas I purchased a "canned" wireless, music synchronized 4 channel controller. It was so much better than static lights.  But it did not go far enough.

I have been on the fence with LOR and Revival Control systems controllers. I am leaning toward LOR as their s/w is very comprehensive, as well as all the support of LOR and the users like you.

Here are some very elementary questions that will help me get moving so I will actually have a LOR show ready by Christmas 2013.

Power requirements: I believe I have this worked out, but your comments / corrections / directions are solicited.

I will be adding at least 2 or 4 15 Amp circuits to support my controller(s).  I see post of some having 6 - 8 or more controllers. I know I can branch off with my main box with a sub box running 60 Amps of which I will have at least 40 Amp available.

How are you guys doing electrical wiring?

Lights: In regards to power requirements I would like to go all LED.

I see some vendors sell "commercial" LED bulbs

(c7/c9) that screw in to a regular c7/9 socket.

Are all LED light strings going to work with LOR controllers? Or should i look for something specific.

Low voltage (12V DC) LED strips. I saw some on Amazon and notices

that their currect draw rather high. Any recommendations - for or against?

DMX - DMX is not foreign to me, but only used it to control small stage lighting. Are there cost effective DMX lights available? Perhaps this is an area to avoid until I get more experience? 

If it would help please point me to a LOR for Dummies page or post.  I have reviewed FAQs and getting started and countless YouTube videos... Looking for some real world advice.

Thanks! 

hello you need to try eBay site to fulfill your led lights requirement.