Light-O-Rama Forums

Help get me off and running... please...

zeighty

I have the bug - The Christmas light show bug.

2012 Christmas I purchased a "canned" wireless, music synchronized 4 channel controller. It was so much better than static lights.  But it did not go far enough.

I have been on the fence with LOR and Revival Control systems controllers. I am leaning toward LOR as their s/w is very comprehensive, as well as all the support of LOR and the users like you.

Here are some very elementary questions that will help me get moving so I will actually have a LOR show ready by Christmas 2013.

Power requirements: I believe I have this worked out, but your comments / corrections / directions are solicited.

I will be adding at least 2 or 4 15 Amp circuits to support my controller(s).  I see post of some having 6 - 8 or more controllers. I know I can branch off with my main box with a sub box running 60 Amps of which I will have at least 40 Amp available.

How are you guys doing electrical wiring?

Lights: In regards to power requirements I would like to go all LED.

I see some vendors sell "commercial" LED bulbs
(c7/c9) that screw in to a regular c7/9 socket.

Are all LED light strings going to work with LOR controllers? Or should i look for something specific.

Low voltage (12V DC) LED strips. I saw some on Amazon and notices
that their currect draw rather high. Any recommendations - for or against?

DMX - DMX is not foreign to me, but only used it to control small stage lighting. Are there cost effective DMX lights available? Perhaps this is an area to avoid until I get more experience? 

If it would help please point me to a LOR for Dummies page or post.  I have reviewed FAQs and getting started and countless YouTube videos... Looking for some real world advice.

Thanks! 

First off, welcome aboard, buttering up the forum was a good move!

Power Req. - Can't help there, had an electrician come out and give me 8 seperate 15 amp

receptacles, can't go wrong having a pro do it! Using all LED's, your AMPS will go a long ways!!

Lights - All LED light strings will work, but make sure they are DIMMABLE, stay away from that bit#$ Martha Stewart!!

Usually the C7-C9 replacement bults are dimmable, several vendors out there that sell them,, I personally have used creativedisplays lovingly referred to as CDi and also Christmas-Leds.com.

Search RAY WU for your low cost DMX strips, he is in China and alot of us use him. If you don't mind a little DIY he is great, if you want more plug n play, great product and support, and have someextra $$ use the LOR CCR,CCB, etc...

Edited by thevikester

Power requirements:  Not an issue most likely if you plan to use all LED.  The load of the controllers is basically just what the load of the lights are.  Considering a 60ct string of LED lights only uses about 0.04 amps, I doubt you will have to branch out your main box.  Most all LED displays could probably run off 1-2 circuits.  Cheaper to buy the LEDs than pay to revamp all your house wiring (unless you are skilled to safely do it yourself).

Lights: Not all LEDs fade well with LOR.  Most do, but don't assume.  Martha Stewart brand is notoriously bad for this, but there are others. The vendor I use and many here like is HLE.  They have a pre-sale (order now at heavily discounted price and they are delivered in a couple months) that ends tomorrow.

http://www.holiday-light-express.com/

LOR for Dummies: In my opinion, watch and read every single link on the following pages and you will be way ahead of most on this forum.

Training Guides and FAQs
http://www.lightoram...ral_Information

Video Tutorials:
http://www.lightoram...orialLinks.html

http://www.lightorama.com/PDFs.html

zeighty,

Welcome aboard!!   May I say something please??

On this forum with all the wacko'd, DO NOT ever start a thread that title again. :P  :P  "Help me get off and running please"

That can be taken soooooo wrong here.  Where in central Florida???

welcome aboard. I would shy away from revival.I already had lor before I heard about them.but checked them out. it appears the customer service is terrible. I have tried to read the forums there but nothing goes on. As far as people having 6-8 or more controllers,that accually is low. you will soon find out that 32 48 80 112 channels will go fast

On this forum with all the wacko'd, DO NOT ever start a thread that title again. :P  :P  "Help me get off and running please"

I'd be careful with this one...seems he is asking where you live because he DID take it soooooooo wrong!!!    :wacko: 

• Like 1

See?? 

I'd be careful with this one...seems he is asking where you live because he DID take it soooooooo wrong!!!    :wacko:

See??? I told you!!

Where in Central Florida are you?  

There's a mini (get together) coming in March.  Can't find the link right now

Where in Central Florida are you?  

There's a mini (get together) coming in March.  Can't find the link right now

Orlando

Well I suppose I deserve the comments concerning my topic... I should have reread it and I am sure I would have thought to modify it a bit.  One thing it did was get attention. 

Thanks for all the help thus far. The only thing that is hindering me is money. Not enough, but is there ever? I will have to start small and add to it yearly. 

I noticed that there are a lot of LOR'ers that have a lot of controllers. When they go on sale, is it significant saving (I know every bit helps)?  

Here are a few more questions, and I am sure that there will be more... stay tuned.   

I am not ready to purchase the controller(s) yet, but I really want to get started on the s/w. I have the demo version and the limitations are irritating.  

Should I just buy the Advanced version at full price?   

I do plan on doing most of my own sequences, but are the purchased ones worth the investment and time savings (obviously this will be your opinion, but it counts, you are the experts). 

And finally, I would like to take advantage of the sale at one of the suggested vendors (HLE seems to be a good choice). I know the sales end today. 

Is there a particular size (m5, c6, c9) that is the "better" choice to stretch my lighting budget?

I live on the high side of the street and my roof is not really visible from the street, so I will only be outlining the fascia and windows, etc.  I am only 40-45 feet from the street.  I will have other lights, hopefully enough, scattered about a tree, a few bushes, etc.  

I can weld, so I bought some rebar to make some 2 foot Christmas trees. Probably going to buy some more to make a cross. 

Wow, I start out this post with the intention to say "Thank You" and turned in to a solicitation for more help. I hope you understand how appreciative I am and very thankful.  

BTW, when I did a Google search for "Christmas Lights" none of the mentioned vendors appeared in the results; at least not if the first 5 pages or so. Weird. 

Thanks again, 

zeighty

Should I buy the Advanced Software at full price?

No, alone it is 139.95.  If anything get a DIY starter kit package with an unassembled board that comes to 217.80.  So for just $77.85 more you have a board, 10 ft cat 5, and a usb 485 connecter.  Granted, there are not all the wiz bangs like enclosure, High power heat sinks or even cords, but it IS a board.  Just my deal seeking mindset.  The USB 485 is normally $30 by itself. So if you look at it from this perspective, adding a board would really only cost you 47.85 more.  Can't pass up a deal like that.

-RainyOregonChristmas

• 2 weeks later...

zeighty,

just an answer to a couple of your questions. 

as far as your software choice that is completely up to you.  if you want to eventually incorporate dmx or smart rgb items then you will need the "advanced" software.  if you don't need it now then wait.  upgrade when you got the money.  i did it when my customer wanted rgb floods (he paid the difference and i got the benefits).

this hobby will be as expensive and you want it to be.  alot of guys have lots of controllers but you can do alot with just 1 or 2 controllers.  i have 3 controllers and double up things in plugs and make the show look alot bigger than it is.  if its going blinky blinky everybody can't see everthing at one time.

start doing your own sequence and see what you think.  then look at some videos and get more ideas.  then find some free sequences (there are tons of them out there) and get some ideas from them.  this is the only hobby that i know of that guys share their work and are really glad when someone steals their ideas and shares it with the world.    besides any sequence you get (unless you pay out the butt for a sequence made especially for your set-up) isn't gonna work exactly for your display.  you will still have to adjust it to your display and make it your own. 

as far as lights its all up to you.  my display is 300' from my parking pad that people watch my display.  i use all different sizes since i have a long distance.  if your close then small bulbs will work fine.

http://s1298.beta.photobucket.com/user/kellyjett/media/2012christmas006_zpsfb52e451.jpg.html?sort=3&o=9#/user/kellyjett/media/2012christmas006_zpsfb52e451.jpg.html?sort=3&o=9&_suid=136073638442706211764763627481

i have several different sizes i use.

you may want to wait until july to check on getting lights.  the christmas expo is july 11th-13th (i think) and after the show all of the vendors from the show have some pretty good sales.   right now its pre-sales with payment now and months before you get anything.

if your looking for vendors go to planet christmas.com and you can check out the vendor page for lots of options.

welcome to the madness.  keep asking those questions.  lots of helpful people here.

don't adopt the "gimme gimme" attitude and you'll be fine.

Kelly,

I really appreciate the reply. I thought that I had asked too much too soon because of only the one response concerning software.

Now the big decision - residential or pro controller?