Light-O-Rama Forums

FM Transmitter

FarrOut

Does anyone have one of these?

SainSonic 0.5W Long Range (10km) Dual Mode Stereo Broadcast Home FM Transmitter with Antenna  from Amazon.com

I used a SainSonic 1/2 watt transmitter.  There are several different versions of these from SainSonic floating around ebay and amazon.  First year for a display for me.  Not sure about the "long range" or "10km" claim but mine worked perfect.   Roughly ranged 3 homes each way with great quality transmission.      

Also sold as a CZH-05B.  Count me among the satisfied users of this product.  Can be found new on ebay for less than $60 & shipped free.

I have one (doesn't say SainSonic) and I love it also. I especially love the price and that it isn't a kit.

There are many satisfied users of the EDM products on this forum.

Also sold as a CZH-05B.  Count me among the satisfied users of this product.  Can be found new on ebay for less than $60 & shipped free.

have one to and love it.

I have one of these and I like it a lot.  CRF-T01A  (same company makes this one I think)

http://www.made-in-china.com/showroom/czhtech/product-detailOosJRzHlhXYm/China-CRF-T01A-1W-Pll-Stereo-Broadcast-Radio-FM-Transmitter.html

One of the things I like about it is that it has a built in timer to come out of and go into standby mode.  This means that since LOR starts and stops my sequences by time, I don't have to be around mess with the transmitter.  I also don't broadcast dead air all day and all night.   I have it turn on 10 minutes before the LOR turns on the show and it shuts off 10 mins after.. works great, sounds good.. transmits a good distance.  I keep it turned down so that it only goes about a block or two away. 

I have a CZH-05B for a backup.. it works good too.. but I hate to leave it on all the time

Craig

Edited by plasmadrive

• 1 month later...

I just received my FM transmitter and got it working.

There is a 60hz hum on the receiver.  I turned the plug to the power supply over, but still have a hum.

Any suggestions?

I have one of these and I like it a lot.  CRF-T01A  (same company makes this one I think)

http://www.made-in-china.com/showroom/czhtech/product-detailOosJRzHlhXYm/China-CRF-T01A-1W-Pll-Stereo-Broadcast-Radio-FM-Transmitter.html

One of the things I like about it is that it has a built in timer to come out of and go into standby mode.  This means that since LOR starts and stops my sequences by time, I don't have to be around mess with the transmitter.  I also don't broadcast dead air all day and all night.   I have it turn on 10 minutes before the LOR turns on the show and it shuts off 10 mins after.. works great, sounds good.. transmits a good distance.  I keep it turned down so that it only goes about a block or two away. 

I have a CZH-05B for a backup.. it works good too.. but I hate to leave it on all the time

Craig

Craig,

Approximately how much did you pay for the transmitter

I just received my FM transmitter and got it working.

There is a 60hz hum on the receiver.  I turned the plug to the power supply over, but still have a hum.

Any suggestions?

A few things to try,

1) regulated power supply

2) Ferrite Filters in the DC power cord (90% of all hum is fixed by using ferrite)

3) is the hum there when no audio cord is attached to the transmitter? if so get a ferrite/regulated power supply

4) if the hum is present when audio cable is connected get ferrite filters on the audio cable as well

5) is the FM transmitter and your audio source/computer on the same

circuit breaker, if not try the FM Transmitter near the computer preferably on the same electrical outlet,  see if hum goes away

6) try moving the FM transmitter to a different electrical outlet around the house

Edited by PMC

A few things to try,

1) regulated power supply

2) Ferrite Filters in the DC power cord (90% of all hum is fixed by using ferrite)

3) is the hum there when no audio cord is attached to the transmitter? if so get a ferrite/regulated power supply

4) if the hum is present when audio cable is connected get ferrite filters on the audio cable as well

5) is the FM transmitter and your audio source/computer on the same

circuit breaker, if not try the FM Transmitter near the computer preferably on the same electrical outlet,  see if hum goes away

6) try moving the FM transmitter to a different electrical outlet around the house

I have one of the transmitters,love it and I also had a hum when I first tried it. I agree with pmc about the power supply,I started using a pc or a laptop power supply and it's clean now

Thanks for the replies.

The unit I ordered didn't come with a power supply, and was shipped directly from china.  Hence the $45 price.

I grabbed an old 'wart' and powered it up and obviously the power wasn't very clean.

I have a portable 12v battery PS I use for astronomy and was able to hook it up to that, signal is clean as a whistle.

I guess that's pretty clean, right?

I'll come up with a clean supply before November. 

I just drove around to check signal strength.  The signal started fading about a half mile from the house.

The box is setting on my desk with the antenna vertical about 24" long.

Now, does that mean I have to make my display visible from that distance  :wub:

I just drove around to check signal strength.  The signal started fading about a half mile from the house.

The box is setting on my desk with the antenna vertical about 24" long.

Now, does that mean I have to make my display visible from that distance  :wub:

I have mine set at 100mw and it;s plenty . it makes a huge difference in distance but it's still plenty for me. also make sure the frequency your broadcasting on is empty.

Thanks for the replies.

The unit I ordered didn't come with a power supply, and was shipped directly from china.  Hence the $45 price.

I grabbed an old 'wart' and powered it up and obviously the power wasn't very clean.

I have a portable 12v battery PS I use for astronomy and was able to hook it up to that, signal is clean as a whistle.

I guess that's pretty clean, right?

I'll come up with a clean supply before November. 

Make sure your amperage output of your newer power supply is meeting not exceeding the requirements of your FM transmitter

Make sure your amperage output of your newer power supply is meeting not exceeding the requirements of your FM transmitter

PMC, I think you meant the voltage output should not exceed the requirments..  You want plenty of amperage available for the transmitter.  It is ok (and preferable) to have a supply capable of deliverying more amperage then needed.. just not voltage.. 

Craig

I did mean Amps but you are correct usually a well built unit only pulls the amount of amps it needs but there is little give and take and very little amp protection for these Chinese RF Burners (of course I could be wrong they might have fixed the issues since the last time I worked on one) but I remembered that you could fry the final stage if your exceed the recommended amps by too much,The reason why I stated AMPS was I remember fixing one of these units years ago because the power supply was 12v @ 2.5 amps

You can usually go from 9,12, to 13.78 (regulated) and as high as 15 volts DC but with amps no more than 1.5 if it recommends 1 amp, if my memory serves me correct the amp draw on one of these boxes is between 150mA to 400mA

I think I can get a hold one of these CZH-05B units for free, I will bench this thing and see how much power it can take before it fries, I will start with 9vdc @ 100mA and ramp it up, of course this is in my spare time and if I can get one for free

Edited by PMC

• 3 weeks later...

Hey PMC,

Send me the unit and i'll test it for ya! Yeah, that's it, send it to ME and i'll tessssst it....Just trying to save you some time... :rolleyes: