Light-O-Rama Forums

Let's Try This Again...

George Simmons

Hey George

I gotta be honost !

I have watched your Pink Floyd (Time) video so many times that I lost count after the 28th time of watching it, I just can't get enough of it. :D

I'm a big Pink Floyd fan.

I have been thinking about sequencing "Learning to fly" and "Take It Back" from the Live Pulse CD/DVD.

I have been a musician for most of my life (Drummer, Guitar, Bass Guitar, Piano) been a drummer the longest (36 years) and for me I watch display videos in a musicians state of mind thinkin, "Ok this display is a bit off beat" or "their lights just don't flow with the music" or like when I watch your videos thinking "NOW THATS WHAT I'M TALKING ABOUT !!! YEA !!!!" .

When I program my sequences I listen to the beat, melody, guitar solos, etc.... it just makes it easier to build a sequence for me that way.

You did a amazing job on your display, and I just can't get enough of it.

can you tell me how you did the construction on the blue LEDs on your fence rail ?

Did you wrap lights on a PVC pipe like you would a leaping arch and then mount them to your fence rail ?

If you have any day time photos of it that would be great.

Thank you for inspiring us all. :D

Travis

• Like 1

Mind letting on with a rough idea of how much you have invested? 

I don't know exactly.  We started with 144 channels and now we're closing in on 600, plus a few hundred RGB channels.  The total isn't anything I make a big deal about, and if Sharon was to see the actual number it probably wouldn't be a good thing.

I am hoping to get a good reason to drive up that way one of these years. 

You're welcome anytime, although I'd suggest doing it in December.

I have watched your Pink Floyd (Time) video so many times that I lost count after the 28th time of watching it, I just can't get enough of it. :D

I'm a big Pink Floyd fan.

... I watch display videos in a musicians state of mind thinkin, "Ok this display is a bit off beat" or "their lights just don't flow with the music"...

...can you tell me how you did the construction on the blue LEDs on your fence rail ?

Well, between you and me, that pretty much accounts for all the Time views.  :lol:  I watch it often myself.  I've been working on Learning To Fly and Any Colour You Like for a couple of years now but the display keeps growing and I can't quite seem to keep caught up enough to get them finished.  Maybe this year... 

Thanks for your kind words.  I've always been a believer in matching up the action of the lights to the music.  Seems like such a simple concept...  But I know what you mean, because I think those same things as you do when I see videos where the lights and the sounds don't seem to be very well acquainted with each other.  Unlike you, however, I have virtually no musical talents.  Were it not for the Beat Wizard, we wouldn't be having this conversation.

I'll see what pics I can find on the fence snake and post them later today or tomorrow.  It's pretty simple, but it gets a lot of attention.  It's definitely a channel hog though - 18 channels on each side of the house.

As far as the inspiration goes, I'm happy to be able to pay forward the inspiration I got from many many talented people when I was first starting.  The REAL pioneers of this hobby are the ones who made their displays look top notch before we had so many software tools to work with.  The first time I ever saw the musicians on Marty Slack's garage it blew me away...

Edited by George Simmons
  • Like 1

George  your display is excellent   i enjoyed watching  and yes Marty's display was always well done  and now i will have to try and get the visual gibberish out of mine  thank you George  :)

Blair

Very cool! I really like that the show has more than just Christmas Songs. I saw you had Peter Gun, and Pink Panther and it just reminded me of when I used to be in jazz choir. I thought about doing some songs like these in my show before, but I didn't find the time to program the sequences. Maybe I'll have to do that this year. Thanks again your videos are simply inspirational.

• 2 weeks later...

Sorry Travis - I totally forgot I promised I'd post pics.  (Well make that almost-totally forgot...)

It turns out the pic file sizes are slightly larger than the limit for posting here, so if you get me your email address I'll send them directly to you.

• 2 weeks later...

Sorry Travis - I totally forgot I promised I'd post pics.  (Well make that almost-totally forgot...)

It turns out the pic file sizes are slightly larger than the limit for posting here, so if you get me your email address I'll send them directly to you.

Hey George,

Sorry for the long delay.

Check your PM.

I sent you my email address .

Thanks

• The topic was locked