Light-O-Rama Forums

Let's Try This Again...

George Simmons

I've finally finished posting videos of the 2012 display. Sorry - no flaming pigs and no Claymation - just Christmas lights.

The first link takes you to the 2012 video page of my website. From there you can select a specific title of a video you want to view and it gives you a place to return to for selecting a different specific title.

The second link takes you to Vimeo and the third link takes you Uboob. Each one should dump you somewhere into the middle of my channel on the respective video host where you can then wallow around and watch as many as you want. Thanks.

http://www.clearwate...012_Videos.html

http://vimeo.com/54575120

http://youtu.be/OHdlYDN9EBM

Edited by George Simmons

ok, gotta ask. on the "he's a pirate" sequence there are a few areas where it appears a white light chases around the house and down the driveway. Is that a CCR, carefully choreographed strobe, 8000 sleeves of white light on a cable? Inquiring minds want to know.

ok, gotta ask. on the "he's a pirate" sequence there are a few areas where it appears a white light chases around the house and down the driveway. Is that a CCR, carefully choreographed strobe, 8000 sleeves of white light on a cable? Inquiring minds want to know.

Cenote is right - I need a better camera.

What you're seeing as a white light is actually LED blue. That's the north side "Fence Snake" you're seeing. (There's a mirror image on the south side of the house.) Each side incorporates 18 channels. A real channel hog, to be sure, but it adds a nice exclamation point. Sharon loves 'em, which means they're in the display for life. (It's quite a rush to stand near the garage and get down so you're at eye level with the fence and watch that bolt of blue light coming atcha.)

• Like 1

My first post and all i can say is WOW

I may be biased, but I do believe that's the best first post I've ever seen! Welcome Dan!

Thanks for all the kind words guys.

Edited by George Simmons

After watching these i'm not sure i want to even try to create a display! Everything will pale in comparison!!

I thought the same thing in my newbie year in 2008. And then I said to myself: "Hey - I wonder how a face on the front of the house would look?" And it's all been downhiill from there...

My advice is to take a good look at what you have to work with, and use that to the max because it's something that won't change from year to year. Then, decide what you've seen in videos that you like. Or what would fit in with your house/yard. Don't hesitate to steal any ideas you think would work for your yard - most of us have done that at one time or another. Don't hesitate to think outside the box. IMO not enough people do that. Some of the coolest things in my display began with the thought: "I wonder what this would look like?" Once you've got your layout determined, then start working with one or two songs that you really like.

As you watch more and more videos, I predict that the one thing that you'll find in common with all the displays that you like is how well the sequencing matches up with the music. Doesn't matter whether it's 16 channels or 1600 channels, if the music doesn't match the lights, it quickly becomes nothing more than visual gibberish.

Good luck. If you need help with something specific, don't hesitate to ask and I'll help you any way I can.

Edited by George Simmons

As you watch more and more videos, I predict that the one thing that you'll find in common with all the displays that you like is how well the sequencing matches up with the music. Doesn't matter whether it's 16 channels or 1600 channels, if the music doesn't match the lights, it quickly becomes nothing more than visual gibberish.

Good luck. If you need help with something specific, don't hesitate to ask and I'll help you any way I can.

Post of the day.

I thought the same thing in my newbie year in 2008. And then I said to myself: "Hey - I wonder how a face on the front of the house would look?" And it's all been downhiill from there...

My advice is to take a good look at what you have to work with, and use that to the max because it's something that won't change from year to year. Then, decide what you've seen in videos that you like. Or what would fit in with your house/yard. Don't hesitate to steal any ideas you think would work for your yard - most of us have done that at one time or another. Don't hesitate to think outside the box. IMO not enough people do that. Some of the coolest things in my display began with the thought: "I wonder what this would look like?" Once you've got your layout determined, then start working with one or two songs that you really like.

Thanks George. I appreciate the advice, encouragement, and offer of help.

You are right, the displays I like the most are synced closely with the music. I also like if a multi-segment prop, lets say a fan going back and forth, "repeats" on the 4 (or 8) count. You do a great job with that. And i think Brian Mitchell suggested always having some lights on (background lighting) and not just blinking everything. I like that a lot too.

All in all i'm looking forward to the challenge!

• 2 weeks later...

George, "Wow" is right.  Can you give an explanation/close up of the prop over the garage door.  It looks like lights going down a drain.

Thanks.

That's a CCR set in a spiral shape.

Interesting....

I love how changing the physical shape of something makes a completely new effect.  I'm always amazed by it.

Looking at your display again George, it is pretty incredible. Mind letting on with a rough idea of how much you have invested? I had a 2K budget for my first year (2012) and blew that pretty quickly. Of course I did both Halloween and Christmas. I just received my lights from Ray today... 6 strips of 2811 ribbon and have my E682 in hand.

Now to learn how to set up and program. :)

Any time I need to be inspired to work on my display, I just watch a couple of George's videos.

For obvious reasons, I never get tired of watching them.  

I am hoping to get a good reason to drive up that way one of these years.