Light-O-Rama Forums

10' mega tree advice

dsz071

Does anyone have a link to a good instructional video or can lead me to some good plans on how to construct my tree? I'm thinking of using pvc but I'm also open to using conduit.

Search google for Jack Up Mega Pole.

The jump system was developed by the Monkhouse family and lots of instructions and videos are available.

http://www.loopychri...ee-20100814.pdf

I used these plans this passed year. It held up great. I am going away from the bigger PVC elements as I've had a few break. We only had a few days below freezing this passed year, but still, they broke. Anything over about 5 feet, I'm going to build from some sort of metal and paint it.

I am going with the a-fore-mentioned Galvanized pipe for my Mega tree this coming yearf, since I'm going from 10' to ~15'-18', along with the Monkhouse Portable Hole II seen on this page, http://www.magicchri...as_news_003.htm

There's a few links for you.

Good luck,

Ron

Edited by Ron Boyd

I use a 12' 4x4 sunk two feeet into the ground for my 10' mega and spiral trees. No pvc, no guy wires, no pipes, no problems.

Edited by George Simmons

I use a 12' 4x4 sunk two feet into the ground for my 10' mega and spiral trees. No pvc, no guy wires, no pipes, no problems.

you must have better luck than me, though I like the way you think with my luck I would find the only piece that is warped and not discover that it isn't level UNTIL AFTER the concrete has set. Had someone build me the Monkhouse Portable Hole II.

I've discovered through trial and error - error mostly - that it really doesn't make a lot of difference if the 4x4 is slightly warped or not perfectly plumb. As long as the tree strands are symmetrical with wherever the top of the post is, you're fine once it gets dark.

I've discovered through trial and error - error mostly - that it really doesn't make a lot of difference if the 4x4 is slightly warped or not perfectly plumb. As long as the tree strands are symmetrical with wherever the top of the post is, you're fine once it gets dark.

ROFLMAO

Lots of things look better in the dark!!

• Like 1

I used a 1-3/8" fence post for my mast this year. They come in 10' sections, bought 2 and cut 1 in half to make a 15' tree. Just used a small piece of 2x4 at base to keep it from sinking in ground.. Staked two 4' pieces of rebar on each side staked about 30" or so then used 1-3/8" hinge clamps to go on either rebar and around mast at base. Then used 4 guy wires ran from top to 4 18" stakes at ground. Had winds up to 43 mph and tree held up with flying colors....

I use a 12' 4x4 sunk two feeet into the ground for my 10' mega and spiral trees. No pvc, no guy wires, no pipes, no problems.

George, do you have a link to show the construction of your tree? I'm very interested in just using a 4x4 if possible.

Ooh here's how I did mine... 8' "T" Post pounded into the ground a couple feet. 10' 1.5" PVC slide over the post. Didn't need any other bracing. I notched the top of the PVC to keep the light strings in line. I used tent pegs to secure the light strings to the ground. Very easy and worked very well.

• Like 1

I used 1 1/4inch chain link fence pole that come 10 feet long. On each end, they are designed to slide into each other. I took a5 gallon buckey and a short piece of the pipe, poured in concrete and made a really stable base. 3 guy wires and tou are set

I'm going for a 20' footer next year. I have a 3 piece alum flag pole, 2.5 inch OD. I plan on making my topper slide up with a winch cable down thru the center of the pole. I'm going to use at leaset 16 strands top to bottom and tie 3 strands of lights together, red/green/white for each segment. I plan on using guy wire from topper down to pegs with strings tie-wrapped to each wire. Will be chased in groupls of 4 of any/all colors. Will have 4 channels for topper (star or globe) with red/green/white strobes and a full time solid white also. 4800 lights and 16 channels total for a nice tree. Easy to expand to more channels as funds are available. Anybody see any flaws in my design?

I'm going for a 20' footer next year. I have a 3 piece alum flag pole, 2.5 inch OD. I plan on making my topper slide up with a winch cable down thru the center of the pole. I'm going to use at leaset 16 strands top to bottom and tie 3 strands of lights together, red/green/white for each segment. I plan on using guy wire from topper down to pegs with strings tie-wrapped to each wire. Will be chased in groupls of 4 of any/all colors. Will have 4 channels for topper (star or globe) with red/green/white strobes and a full time solid white also. 4800 lights and 16 channels total for a nice tree. Easy to expand to more channels as funds are available. Anybody see any flaws in my design?

I had a 16 ft tree with 16 strands this year. It looked very sparse. You should consider 2 or three strands (of each color) for each of your 16 channels.

• 2 months later...

I have a 50 foot tall freestanding tower.  I'm a newbie here but I think this would be a spectacular mega tree.  Anybody have any idea how many lights it would take to make something that large look good?

I have a 50 foot tall freestanding tower.  I'm a newbie here but I think this would be a spectacular mega tree.  Anybody have any idea how many lights it would take to make something that large look good?

depends on how much real estate you have around it, I see a lift bucket in your future and a mega tree that can be seen for miles.

depends on how much real estate you have around it, I see a lift bucket in your future and a mega tree that can be seen for miles.

Or from SPACE!  :wub: