Light-O-Rama Forums

Computer size

Jeff Messer

At this time all my show is running on laptop and wanting to get into a Pixel tree this year. I have someone that will build me a free machine to run the show but looking for some specs that I can give him. Thanks again for any help on the forum in advance.

Jeff

ummmm about 16 inches should be perfect :P

Seriously though LOR is a 32 bit program I believe so anything over 4 gigs of ram currently is wasted. I'm hoping they change this soon to utilize more memory. Your show machine doesnt need to be a beast, the scheduler will auto create compressed sequences and can be ran with very little drain on your pc. The sequencing pc is the one that needs the power. Dual screens with a decent graphics card will help tremendously. An ssd will aid in loading your files faster but as far as cpu and memory goes we will have to wait and see if any changes are made to the software to utilize and justify building a better rig.

One thing I recommend is to have plenty of USB ports. In the past my show computer was a laptop that only had 2 USB ports. I wound up having to add a USB hub and I spent more time with USB details than I'll bother you with here. You say you want to create a Pixel tree. You may find yourself using multiple networks (each requiring its own USB port). And there's other things wanting those ports than just the LOR adapters, perhaps you have a USB WiFi adapter, or you charge things, etc.

I'd recommend a minimum of 4 and my current PC actually has 8.

Edited by pdowns

I'm very new to this pixel stuff, so I'm sure someone will correct me if I get this wrong, but depending on what kind of pixels and how you control them, you may not need any USB ports for your pixel tree. If you use an E1.31 pixel controller, it's an Ethernet connection instead of a USB connection. Pixels from LOR (CCRs, CCBs, CCPs) will use the USB connection. Not to say you shouldn't give yourself plenty of USB ports. Just pointing out that you may not specifically need them for your pixel tree.

To that end, you may, in fact, want a second LAN card in your show computer if you want to put your show PC on your home network, but don't want to put your E1.31 traffic on the home network.

Edited by Aaron Maue