Light-O-Rama Forums

Who would be interested...

Charles Belcher

S3 Users,

Could anyone use a feature which allows for two or more sequences to be played back/scheduled simultaneously? This would allow high channel count displays to be divided into separate sections; programmed, then played back together.

How would you see this working?

The only other way I can see this is to have two computers playing back two different sequences simultaneously. For simplicity sakes; one computer would connect to everything on the house and another computer would connect to everything in the yard. SMPTE time code would be the choice in this scenario (but S3 would need a feature to recognize time code).

Charles Belcher

maybe run a virtual machine on the machine you have now and run one sequence/show from the virtual and one from the physical. not sure if/how you would link them together to ensure they were 100% in tune with each other but would be neat to see if it could be done

Edited by gc75067

I brought this up a very long time ago on the old boards and LOR said at that time they had no intention of reading SMPTE or any other time code. In the laser industry we have system boards that will read SMPTE or via Ethernet us one as the primary and all others follow. The shows are held on board locally at each computer or system board. The possibilities are much greater then with a single stream.

I don't know if all that will change now, but it is a much better way to do high channel count.

I am sold on the idea of having different portions of the same sequence broken up into separate files for programming, then combining or merging them together at playback time. It would save me a ton of time in high channel displays.

Anyone else think this would be useful?

Charles Belcher

maybe I am not reading this right...but couldn't you use the "Sub-Sequence" that is available now?

I use it to run my SuperStar sequences (12 Ribbon CCR Tree), but wouldn't it also run a regular LOR sequence?

Maybe even run a third Sub Sequence within the Sub Sequence...

Edit: I bet you mean with two different audios, huh...

never mind...

Edited by jimswinder

I tried something like this using LSP on one machine for my matrix and LOR for the rest of the lights.

I give it a solid ok......

I scratched it when LSP started lagging behind and the LOR song would be over and the matrix still running.

It was much better when I just ran the 12K channels through LOR with sequences at a Gig. But I agree sequencing is slow and sometimes saving was over a 5 min wait. I would love the merge sequences option.

As far as I understand that is how the combination LOR / Madrix works. In LOR a single DMX channel is used and Madrix serves as DMX client. Depending on the DMX Value a different pattern is played in Madrix...

Only issue is the Madrix price tag for everyone planning lots of pixels...

How about using an interactive show to be the second computer? Using a few relays attached to a LOR controller should allo starting a second sequence on a remote computer. Not a elegant as a DMX / networked solution, but possible.

Also for the LOR developers: using DMX In to trigger interactive sequences (or better E1.31) would be a cool thing to have....

I would really like to hear from high channel guys who do not use Madrix. Madrix is Madrix and works well....but not everyone uses it

Charles Belcher

How high?

No Madrix her. Just LOR and LSP and a 48X80 pixel matrix.

But I can tell you I wanted to pull my hair out!!!!

My last sequence. 3 minutes to load....5:45 to save.

On an i7 sandy bridge processor.

I understand how Madrix works, I had/still have a Galaxia system(great investment...) Just felt my money could be spent better somewhere else.

I could have put nothing else up except the matrix....

I swear that is all everyone noticed.....

I could have put nothing else up except the matrix....

I swear that is all everyone noticed.....

That is one reason I have resisted and don't really want to go that route..or add video...

People can watch videos in their home...and (in my opinion) if it's in a Christmas Light Display (LOL), then their eyes will go to and stay focused on that video...or whatever else is the biggest and flashing the brightest...

Don't get me wrong, there are some FANTASTIC displays out there with videos and matrices...but for me, they are no longer Christmas Light displays... ;)

Edited by jimswinder
  • Like 1

Don't get me wrong, there are some FANTASTIC displays out there with videos and matrices...but for me, they are no longer Christmas Light displays... ;)

LOL! That sounds exactly like my old San Jose neighbors when I started synchronizing to music! "That's not a Christmas Display, that's just blinking lights!" Brings me back to when I started with 48 channels, if they could see me now, they may fall over and die of a heart attack!

All you do is evolve your display the way you see fit. As long as you love it and the kids love it, nothing else matters. It was cool to come home and see kids dancing in the driveway in front of the screen with music playing from their parents cars. I love the screen also (probably adding a sister screen on the left side of the house, dueling wizards in winter sounds nice) but my Ultimate Mega Tree was jealous and so was I!! I planned the Ultimate Mega Tree for months. I decided to add the screen last minute for the halloween show (it was interactive for the show) and I spent pretty much 30 hours building the screen. (longest/hardest part was pushing lights through the coro).

Just depends on what makes you happy. In the halloween forum people complain all the time how they put so much time and effort into a specific prop only for people to be more impressed with the "video of the eye" in the window. Some people complain about virtual santa being the only thing noticed.

Could be worse, you could be nicknamed the "seizure house"

http://www.bing.com/...nhp&form=msnrll

But a little off topic. I assume the new LOR S4 (maybe) will be a 64bit program and hopefully have all sorts of bells and whistles to make it easier for us high count people to survive.

Hopefully the show files will be a little smaller. My last 4 min sequence was 1.5GB. OMG!

Could be worse, you could be nicknamed the "seizure house"

That will be my name...when they come and seize my house for non-payment...as all my money went to buy LED's and controllers... :blink:

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

I have a thought on the pixel software thing, let me know what you (all) think. I noticed there are chinese controllers out there that allow you to store a pixel scene on an SD card, and it got me thinking that it might be cool If LOR or someone else came up with a pixel add on. Possibly an easy to use pixel only software (not another whole package like SuperStar), and a small controller that just stores "scenes" that are numbered or DMX referenced . Then have your main software call those referenced scenes in your sequencer. Something like this might make life easier when dealing with lots - o - pixels.....