Light-O-Rama Forums

Newbie wanting to know more about E1.31

Robert Burton

Right now my setup is running;

LOR3 software (for sequencing and running the show)

LOR dongle

RPM dmx dongle

Have 13 LOR controllers (mostly Gen.1 and a few Gen. 2), one 27 channel dmx controller and 4 - 3 channel dmx controllers.

Not a huge system.

I am considering adding some pixels (FLEXTECH 108 LED's - white ) with a SanDevice E682 controller. I understand these run off of the E1.31 language.

BRAND NEW TO E1.31 and have never even read anything about this or what it does.

(Don't laugh....) What is E1.31 and what are the advantages, disadvantages?

What kind of setup would I use to make the above work?

Reading links to help me understand more???

Thanks!

Robert

Why FlexTech strips, out of curiosity? Unless you got a hell of a deal on them, they are a huge waste of the E682's resources! From my understanding of how they'd connect to the E682, they would utilized one channel per string for a max of 16 channels as opposed to the 1020 that the E682 is capable of.

To each their own, but I wouldn't spend the money on an E682 to control these strips. You could get something like this: http://www.aliexpress.com/store/product/5m-WS2811-LED-digital-strip-60leds-m-with-30pcs-WS2811-built-in-the-5050-smd-rgb/701799_653641294.html and get a lot more bang for your buck.

Why FlexTech strips, out of curiosity? Unless you got a hell of a deal on them, they are a huge waste of the E682's resources! From my understanding of how they'd connect to the E682, they would utilized one channel per string for a max of 16 channels as opposed to the 1020 that the E682 is capable of.

To each their own, but I wouldn't spend the money on an E682 to control these strips. You could get something like this: http://www.aliexpres..._653641294.html and get a lot more bang for your buck.

That is a good price for those...probably the best of the smart pixels I have seen.

I got the FLEXTECH for $15.00 a strip. That is... a great deal :-)

You might follow this thread;

http://doityourselfchristmas.com/forums/showthread.php?23961-LightShow-versus-GE-Color-Effects/page4

Now if I can find another board that would run that chip (9816???)...I am all for it. This was just the first and only one I have seen thus far.

Start with this link, its a download for a ton of 1.31 and pixel info. Once your into that ask away!

https://www.dropbox....Manual_Rev1.pdf

Ok....

Very interesting reading. I had actually downloaded that before...but never looked at the E1.31 since it didn't apply to me.

Still reading, but now this begs more questions;

So...guess I can do away with the RPM dmx dongle and just run E1.31 for my dmx?

I know that LOR3 can run the LOR boxes on dmx. I would guess that this could be done then just running everything (dmx boxes and LOR boxes) on the E1.31 language? What are the disadvantages of doing that??? Would that also allow me to go wireless to the dmx AND LOR boxes????

1.31 connects directly to the network, no dongles or converters needed.

I use the 2811 IC 10ic per meter for my house. You can run 20 5m strips off a E682-6

Edited by WilliamS

I purchased 30 multi and clear strips at $12 each. This would be amazing finally crack the code on how to wire the ethernet cable to the ribbon... then connect the ribbon to the E682 board....!!! Off to KMart to purchas the rest of their stock and then to Sears for the 15 boxes of clear.

• Like 1

Im missing something, what are you buying at Kmart and sears that you want to run on a E682.

Some code has been written by (I don't remember who) for the 9816 chip in the FlexTech strips to be controlled by the E682. While it's cool, and definitely a step forward for these readily available strips, I personally will continue to stay as far away from them as possible!

Start with this link, its a download for a ton of 1.31 and pixel info. Once your into that ask away!

https://www.dropbox....Manual_Rev1.pdf

As someone new to this hobby this is the single most helpful link I have seen to date. It has definitely cleared away some of the fog I had regarding 1.31. Thanks!

Eddy and Phil have been into pixels a few seasons. Really helped a lot of us catch up to the race. They handled most of my questions, harrison, donny, and bob finished up my questions on the rest. Great group here, get to know everyone as anyone can have a piece of useful information.

Some code has been written by (I don't remember who) for the 9816 chip in the FlexTech strips to be controlled by the E682. While it's cool, and definitely a step forward for these readily available strips, I personally will continue to stay as far away from them as possible!

Why would you stay away from them? They are more solidly built than some of the "Dumb Strips" I have. Even at full price ($59.95) they would be a good deal for someone (like me ;-) just now getting into smart pixels.

At $15.00...it was a steal;

(This was just a test as I was beginning to take down my display)

And this is the reason why I wanted to learn more about E1.31. For what I wanted in my arches...this would be great :-)

They also come in a multi color, but it is my understanding you can't change the chip color like rgb. Controllable via a different board...but not changeable.

Why would you stay away from them? They are more solidly built than some of the "Dumb Strips" I have. Even at full price ($59.95) they would be a good deal for someone (like me ;-) just now getting into smart pixels.

At $15.00...it was a steal;

(This was just a test as I was beginning to take down my display)

And this is the reason why I wanted to learn more about E1.31. For what I wanted in my arches...this would be great :-)

To each their own, but you mention "Dumb" strips and "smart" pixels at the same time and the FlexTech strips are neither. Don't get me wrong, they are capable of creating some pretty cool effects, but they are not RGB. And back to my original comment, they are a HUGE waste of resources on an E682.

And for the record, I think it's kind of irresponsible of Gemmy to share videos like these with no description and lead people to believe that they can go buy a bunch of these strips, slap them up on their house and instantly have a synchronized light show. I see that they disabled comments on them as well. You know, just in case someone actually wanted to try and figure out how to do what they did in the video......