Light-O-Rama Forums

Newbie having second thoughts..

Sheldon_15

I've saw the Hodo's show a few times it is sweet, nice to see others from Arkansas on here, 2013 will be my first and I am ordering 2-16 channels and 2 ccr's. I can't wait to get the ccr's.

also can I connect the ccr's and practice using them with any music that I have, if so how would I do that.

Thanks

Kevin

I already have the demo but I got bored with it because I can actually control the lights.

Unless you are going to have your lights hooked for 11 months or so, you will always be doing your sequencing without them hooked up

Also, you said you weren't buying the controller "til next year." Regardless of license level, you won't get any blinky-flashy until you have the controller.

I've saw the Hodo's show a few times it is sweet, nice to see others from Arkansas on here, 2013 will be my first and I am ordering 2-16 channels and 2 ccr's. I can't wait to get the ccr's.

also can I connect the ccr's and practice using them with any music that I have, if so how would I do that.

Thanks

Kevin

I've got one CCR and I'm using Superstar to program it. You do need the appropriate license as well to run it. Frankly, I saw the tutorial video's once before I messed with mine but truly I need to go back and look at them again. There's a lot of capability in there that I did not capture in the brain.

• Like 1

Also, you said you weren't buying the controller "til next year." Regardless of license level, you won't get any blinky-flashy until you have the controller.

I didn't mean on the house I ment on the demo. But I figured it out! :)

To be cost effective, here is my suggestions:

1) Download and use the demo software.

2) Once you have your controller, buy the advanced software license

3) Check Craig's list, these forums and ebay for bargains for your controllers and USB adaptor

4) If you can't find a deal there, wait for the Spring mad-grab sale as those prices are pretty tough to beat.

I personally was impatient and bought my first controller, USB and software in January, but since you have a lot of time, patience can save you a lot of money

forget ebay for controllers,people get ripped off because they bid too much. Edited by james campbell

This was also my first year and i only did 1 controller ( 16 ch ) could of used 4 but didnt want to overwhelm myself going with a big show to start.

I agree with most here, it looks like you could use 64 channels or more depending on what you want the lights to do. Now with that said My advice as a newbe is,

Figure out what you want the show to do then watch the tutorials, read,read and then do some more reading. Play around with the demo and by the time you feel comfortable with the software its spring time and the sales are going on then. OH and one more thing DONT forget extension cords, when you think you have enough, you dont! lol I have a not so big yard and i figured 1 1000ft spool of sp2 wire would be enough, boy was i wrong. i had to order 2 more spools.

Welcome to the madness mate

forget ebay for controllers,people get ripped off because they bid too much.

Never bid too much.* I purchased 3 PC controllers from Displays in Motion on Ebay for $554.85 with free shipping. Good deal.

Right now ebay has two 1602 controllers with a buy-it-now price of $265. That is only 22% less than the cost of a new controller. So, you would have to decide if you are allowing yourself to be ripped-off. They are used, but advertised as working. So, if you pay with paypal, your buyer protection would kick in if you had any problems.

*Full disclosure: I have personally benefited from people getting over-excited by the auction process and paying more than they would for a new item.

I purchased 3 PC controllers from Displays in Motion on Ebay for $554.85 with free shipping. Good deal.

I don't think Displays in Motion is in operation any more, but for Sheldon's benefit...

Though I can't speak first-hand, I know that others have paid Displays in Motion a healthy sum of money and did not receive the product(s) they paid for. I'm aware of at least one person in that category and am not sure whether that specific situation was resolved. I purchased from them twice and, even if they had not gone out of business, I would never have purchased from them again. I always got what I paid for, but not without a lot of hassle.

In general, Sheldon, you will not find this to be the case for any of the Light-O-Rama partners, so I'm not trying to scare you, by any stretch of the imagination. In fact, I think it's awesome that you're taking this on. I wish I'd been that energetic at your age. :) I would just hate for you to plunk down your hard-earned money on a controller, only to have it not be delivered.

Might I suggest that you first start off with your budget. And then prepare for lots of little things that are going to push you over your budget. To make a display like you want is a lot of lights and even more extension cords. If you are on a budget what is more important to you, more channels of control or more lights to control with fewer channels? The public will notice your lack of lights a lot more then your lack of channels. Why not divide up what you want your display to finally look like into a 2 or 3 year plan. Of course if money is no problem then go for it all with many controllers right from the start.

• 2 weeks later...

sheldon, what ever you do make sure to ask alot of questions and do alot of research. its great that your starting out at such an young age cause you can learn alot and save alot from many of the older ( i mean more experienced) people on the forums.

a friend of mine (jeff at lightsmusicmagic.com) started out at 13 learning to sequence and do his own display. he is now 22 and has his own lighting website and decorating business. you are starting out at a good time.

as far as wire, go with spt1 wire. the difference between spt 1 and spt 2 is the insulation used. unless your display in under constant snow for the month of dec. then spt 1 will work perfectly fine for you. besides the plugs for spt1 are cheaper than for spt2. www.allthingschristmasandmore.com have pretty good prices on wire and plugs. keep checking the forums whenever someone finds a good price they are pretty good about sharing their find. if we can save each other a couple of bucks then thats just another light string to add to the display.

as far as you channels, start small and plan on growing every year. i have 48 channels and are growing as i can. i have tons of ideas but i'm not at the point where i can afford to buy another controller just to change a string or two per channel. i have several things together in channels. my display is spaced out so for now i connect things together so i can cover more ground. down the road i'll separate everything but for now i'd rather just have more things blinking.

good luck and welcome to the insanity.