Light-O-Rama Forums

OMG! DMX what do I do?

drkngl417

So I have read every post on the DMX topic and I am more confused then when I started (which isn't saying much, already confused). Here is my question. How many DMX universe's can LOR run and do I need a ENTTEC Pro for each? I want software that I will be able to keep adding more and more rgb lighting for my halloween display each year until I have a super hugh display. I am looking for the best and easiest way to do this. I am wanting software that will run and many universe's as it can. I don't mind if each need dongle. I am just starting out on this and need as much help as I can get.

I have been looking at the following... LOR S3 Advanced and Light Show Pro Commercial. I have set a budget of 500 for the year and if I go Light show I have blown the whole thing on software. This year I am just wanting to do some floods and color fades to music and typical effects, nothing to fancy, and keep adding to. But I want to get the software and hardware needed to run the most outragous in the future.

Michael

Here is my question. How many DMX universe's can LOR run and do I need a ENTTEC Pro for each?

999 in theory and yes you will need an enttec pro for each universe or compatible dongle but there are better ways to run DMX than the dongle method. When LOR released E1.31 it opened up several better options then hanging a dongle off your pc for each universe. Do a little reading in the E1.31 section of the forums. Neither an enttec open nor e1.31 will control your lights directly. Both are just a delivery method to get the data out of your pc and into your light controllers. You still need to add into your budget controllers. Whether it be a "dumb" rgb controller or a "smart" pixel controllers you still need one or the other to make lights come on and that choice will depend entirely on the lights you are using.

This year I am just wanting to do some floods and color fades to music and typical effects, nothing to fancy, and keep adding to. But I want to get the software and hardware needed to run the most outragous in the future.

Michael

Curious why you need DMX for this? LOR has a starter package that will include everything you are describing you want.

here: http://store.lightorama.com/rese16chstpa.html for well under your $500 budget.

That will get you 16 channels for say 10 floods and 6 other lights to fade, twinkle, etc. The LOR setup is designed to be added to year after year. So this year you do 16 channels then next year add more light controllers and so on until you have built that massive display.

Do you already have certain types of lights in mind that would demand DMX? DMX is just part of what LOR can do but not the only part by any means. The expandability is only limited by your wallet. LOR even sales rgb floods completely assembled and ready to plug right up to the starter package above.

Harrison thank you so much. I am wanting all three color in my display. I would like my fades to be color to color, like purple to blue then back. Just trying to learn everything I can now. I will start reading every post in the E1.31 topic now. Thank you again.

Fades can be done cheapest with floods that are closely grouped together. A red/green/and blue bulb on different channels and you can blend and fade on the house anything you want and still be very inexpensive with the typical LOR 16 channel controller. Dont let the 1.31 and DMX side of things confuse the easy stuff in this hobby. Its a great platform but at the same time there are effects that the DMX and DIY side cant pull off that LOR has been doing perfectly for years. Look at some of the older shows you can find on youtube, 2009,2010,2011 and remember only a small percentage in those years are DMX based most are all LOR controllers. Just a lot of channels and a lot of lights.

Remember when you start to put it all together just recall K.I.S.S. Keep It Simple Stupid You can make this hobby a nightmare real quick.

As well a last quick note, If Harrison points you in a direction, follow it. He has forgotten more about this hobby than most of us will ever know.

Well I am kind of in the same boat and I was thinking that adding dmx512 was a lot more inexpensive. I have 48 lor channels now and 2 flood lights, 4 ccr's.. I want to add a mega tree and some arches for next year.. So I've been reading up on dmx and so far every article I read has been on 12v leds.. I have string leds lights which plug into 110v. So how do I install dmx and control those lights. Also I've read that lor can only assign 256 channels out of the 512..

I'll probable be able to figure this out with my continued reading eventually but I thought I'd post becaus I know there are some genius around here that could lead me in the right direction and increase my knowledge..

I just love this hobby and live for Christmas..

. I have string leds lights which plug into 110v. So how do I install dmx and control those lights. Also I've read that lor can only assign 256 channels out of the 512..

I just love this hobby and live for Christmas..

You can't control those lights you already have with DMX. I think that is where a lot of folks are getting dmx mixed up. Sure you can run you LOR controllers in dmx mode but that's not what your looking for. Your main interest for using DMX is to change one strand of lights multiple colors right. Store bought lights won't do this no matter what controller you hook them up to or what kind of network they are running on. You have to buy RGB lights that in a nut shell have 3 tiny LEDs inside each bulb on the strand then you use dmx to transfer the data down the strand to tell it what led needs to light up in each bulb.

The 256 limitation was with the idmx device only not a software limitation. LOR software will certainly output a full 512 channels per universe and there are several controllers out now that will use those 512 channels.

Well I was thinking about just using a string of white led lights, One string per channel. I thought by going with dmx that I could get a lot more bang for the buck. If I buy another 1602w controller I only get 16 channels.. I believe that's not enought to run a mega tree and arches.

Thanks for responding.

Another option is to consider using a SansDevice ELOR. It gives you an DMX universe while being connected inline with your LOR controller. Currently I am running 1 LOR controller and 1 ELOR on the same USB dongle. Both work fine and I get the best of both worlds. It lets you have your DMX output while not having to learn all the E 1.31 stuff and configuring. At some point though you can expand to E1.31 and keep the ELOR's.

Ok maybe this will help with what I am trying to do. I have been reading every thing on the following how to (www.lightuplawrence.net) And I am in the same mind set as his set up. Everything I do I want RGB and run on DMX. I am getting a lot more information coming in now from different sources so I am getting a grasp. What I am really wanting to know now is, Software? I am looking at LOR S3 and Light Show Pro Commercial. I want the software to give me the most channels to work with that I can and be user friendly and not be on the price level as say Madrix. What is a good software to run an obsine amount of lights. This is a halloween display and there will be 12v props involved as well that will be running DMX.

Here is the elor's info page....

http://www.sandevices.com/ELORinfo.html

Here is a note on the manufacturers website.

•MPORTANT: As of July 2012, LOR now supports E1.31 in it's most recent software release. As a result, ELOR won't be needed for most LOR pixel applications. ELOR is still useful for controlling pixels in a PC-less LOR system, when it's not convenient to run ethernet to the display, or when the DMX output capabilities are needed

Basically the ELOR is no longer needed to run pixels and it's only benefit is shows without a pc. Setting up E1.31 in multicast is no more difficult than adding a regular LOR controller. Earlier in the year there was a lost of confusion on the subject but now it's been nailed down to be very easy to setup. You can run sandevices e682 directly from your pc's cat5 connection now with no need for an elor added to the setup.

I highly recommend LOR. Have you watched light up lawrences YouTube videos? He has some great how tos. Here is one of his most recent. Check out this video on YouTube:

I'm fairly sure he is using LOR as well. At least he is in several of his YouTube videos.

Harrison,

Yes I have watched every video I can find and how to from Light up Lawrence. AMAZING! That is what has got me going head strong into this whole thing. I was interesed a few years ago but didn't do anything with it. BUT now. On ward and up ward. And thank you for all you help.

michael

If your just starting out and looking to do simple color changes. Get a LOR DC controller(16 channels), and some RGB flood lights. You can operate 5 RGB devices/floods from one controller. That would be 3 channels per device(red, green, blue).

• Like 1

• The topic was locked