Light-O-Rama Forums

Walmart - A BIG Zero for after Christmas

bob_moody

I cant speak for all stores, but the Walmart in Huntsville has put the brakes on for buying almost ANYTHING after Christmas ...

I noticed only a very small, very limited selection of incans (I think these were last years left overs) and they were gone after Thanksgiving. The exception being the incan in the 200 count reel ... Only LED's and not even a big section for them ...

I was last minute shopping and wandered through the Christmas section and found 90% of all the Christmas items had been replaced with totes.... The only thing remaining is the usual suspects. A few racks of cards, table and tree decorations and stuff I have YET to figure our what your supposed to do with it ...

I recall something about incans and 2012 but even the LED's are gone !!!

Anyone else seeing slim pickins for after Christmas sales?

Bob

Yep. The home improvement centers around here were cleaned out pretty much the first week in Dec. I don't think they carried as near as much stock as years past so they wouldn't have to fire sale it after the season. I don't trade with Walmart, so not sure there. One afternoon just after Thanksgiving I spoke with the manager of our local Home Depot and when asked if they would recieve more decorating supplies, his response was "what you see over there is all we will recieve this year".

It's okay by me, most of the items I am needing for next year aren't available at those places anyway. But it is a shame that there won't be an opportunity to save some cash on lights this year!

I hit all the stores here but the results were as expected all the minis and leds were gone. Right after Thanksgiving a made a run to check out what all the stores had and was shocked by how little they had to ever sell. They sure are making it hard on us guys to continue forward.

I have a few big box at 50% off with a fairly decent amount of LED's. Think on Wednesday we may go get another haul. Some 50 count led's for $3.44 a box. some 70 counts for $7.50. I am surprised at they have as much left as they do.

Yep. The home improvement centers around here were cleaned out pretty much the first week in Dec. I don't think they carried as near as much stock as years past so they wouldn't have to fire sale it after the season. I don't trade with Walmart, so not sure there. One afternoon just after Thanksgiving I spoke with the manager of our local Home Depot and when asked if they would recieve more decorating supplies, his response was "what you see over there is all we will recieve this year".

It's okay by me, most of the items I am needing for next year aren't available at those places anyway. But it is a shame that there won't be an opportunity to save some cash on lights this year!

What he said... :(

I have noticed the same thing around Kingwood and Humble areas also HD,Lowes, Walmarts, Sams, Targets, Walgreens, pretty much all gone before christmas.

For giggles, a buddy of mine and I went around to a half dozen or so places to see what we could dig up. He wants more lights for his place and I just wanted out of the house for a bit. We hit Wally world, the home improvement centers, a couple of craft stores and a couple of dollar stores. It was all either non-existent or gone with exception of the two craft places that even at clearance price was ridiculously high ($8 for 50 count incans; no thanks). It was as I expected, a bust. No bargains this year!

Most of the stuff I am adding isn't available at these retail places so I am not particularly disappointed, but I know the seemingly few or total lack of bargains is going to hurt some folks wanting to create a display for next year. Get your pre-orders into the suppliers here for 2013; looks like the best opportunity to save money at this point.

I was able to hit Home Depot for about 150 boxes of LEDs only 50 cnt and mostly CW but the price was not so bad.

Walmart's light selection down here just plain old SUCKED to begin with. I really didn't think they would have much of anything left anyhow. However, I stopped into my local Walgreen's to pick up some cold medicine and WOW! This store had a whole bunch of lights left over. I wasn't planning on buy any additional lights, but I couldn't pass it up.

Hit my towns 5 Walmarts first thing yesterday. Started around 4 and cleared them out of C9s got 72 minis 72 m5s (I think) and every red and blue I could find about 25 of each. A total of 13,675 lights. Not a bad haul at all :) Tapatalk wouldn't let me upload the pic but it is an awesome sight to see lol

I was very disappointed with Lowes, Home Depot, and Walmart this year. They had hardly anything! Target was only somewhat better, got some excellent Philipps LED strings and LED rope snowflakes.

Went and checked out another Walgreen's and JACKPOT! Or so I thought. A buttload of lights left over. Then I realized why.

All the Christmas stuff in this one store was still FULL PRICE! Could not believe it.

You guys are lucky. Over here the big box stores clear their Christmas aisle a week before Christmas. There's never any reductions - they just clear the shelves and put them into storage.

Decided with the dismal supplies of sale items that I'm being forced into Rgb.... oh twist my arm. I did find incan candy canes at wally world for cheap. Had a passel of them. Picked up 23 of them, Thought about clearing them out, but decided not to. I have a small enough yard already.