Light-O-Rama Forums

Winsock Error on DMX listener

Ed Slonka Jr

Show has been running flawlessly since Thanksgiving night but last night experienced a little hiccup with the DMX listener. I just happened to be looking out the window and one song finished and I noticed the next song did not start to play and was headed to the computer to check it when the next song started. I only delay 1 second between songs and was 15 minutes into my show which is about 45 minutes long. I checked the log and saw the following: Winsock Error 10061 Connection forcibly rejected.

It only took a few seconds and it re-established communication with the DMX listener and the show ran the rest of the night without a hitch.

Has anyone else had this happen and is this something to be concerned about?

Using 3.6.0 Advanced.

Thanks, Ed

There is a message around here that explains that in full. Basically what happened is that LOR requested a connection to a DMX device and that device said NO!. Basically you get that error when a DMX device is in the process of crashing or rebooting itself.

Thank you Mike. We'd only experience that with DMX devices which are physically attached to the show computer I'd assume. Since E1.31 is multicast, those controllers don't talk back, so the listener wouldn't be reporting anything on those devices, correct?

The DMX device could be anything on the DMX chain. If you are not using E1.31, then it would be your dongle (since it's computer-> dongle -> device ).

E1.31 is not just multicast. You can have unicast DMX devices as well,

But even using only multicast devices does not make you immune to that particular error, since any device (router/switch/etc) can reject your packet. For example, if the switch between you and the DMX decvice goes down, or is otherwise unable to broadcast your packet, you can get 10061'ed.

Is there a list of DMX errors and possible causes listed anywhere? I see different ones periodically but just let them go. I think most are more "informational" messages and nothing to worry about from an end user standpoint but it would be nice to know what to worry about and what to let go.

Thanks for bring back some memories. I programmed sockets before but it was a few years ago. OK many years ago. I'll save the list for the future.