Light-O-Rama Forums

New to LED lights

frycztech

I have several GE Color Effects strands on my roofline this year controlled with a sandevices e682 controller.

You can find the lights online, but they aren't cheap. Stores this year seem to have been cleaned out.

Google the e682 controller if you need more info. Just know that it's a kit...you will have to solder it. And you will also have to modify the power and signal for the lights.

LOR sells a professional system if that seems like it might be a better fit for you. If you are considering the sandevices controller, there are more options open to you. But you need to do some more research.

I have several GE Color Effects strands on my roofline this year controlled with a sandevices e682 controller.

You can find the lights online, but they aren't cheap. Stores this year seem to have been cleaned out.

Google the e682 controller if you need more info. Just know that it's a kit...you will have to solder it. And you will also have to modify the power and signal for the lights.

LOR sells a professional system if that seems like it might be a better fit for you. If you are considering the sandevices controller, there are more options open to you. But you need to do some more research.

AKA This is not your daddies plug and play Mr. Christmas. Also means that you will need to read and understand something electronics.

AKA This is not your daddies plug and play Mr. Christmas. Also means that you will need to read and understand something electronics.

This is why I suggested what I suggested in post #10 of this thread.

I personally use a couple of Sandevices E681-6's, but if folks are expecting to find this stuff at the local big box, they probably aren't good candidates for doing it that way, and should instead use LOR's excellent plug and play products. Not trying to be condescending, just realistic.

• Like 1

This is why I suggested what I suggested in post #10 of this thread.

I personally use a couple of Sandevices E681-6's, but if folks are expecting to find this stuff at the local big box, they probably aren't good candidates for doing it that way, and should instead use LOR's excellent plug and play products. Not trying to be condescending, just realistic.

So do you use the GE lights with a Sandevices? The lor lights are just so expresive.

So do you use the GE lights with a Sandevices? The lor lights are just so expresive.

No, I'm using generic pixels from Ray.

Just backing you up Tim.

As for the pixel strips, Ray Wu online store is www.aliexpress.com Do a search on 5050 smd and or WS2811. Thats one of the smart chips that make the string pixel RGB.

Right now I am trying to get the address scheme down in my head. Between sockets, clusters, and universes, my head is spinning. And then throw in the 1-1, 1-2, 1-3, & 1-4 and my eyes are rolling too. And this is from someone that has a really good understanding of binary, octal and hex along with IP addressing. But this DMX addressing I will need more time with.

The pixels are cool. They look good to outline a house. What would you use to do trees?

KennyZ made a pixel tree with 30 strands he bought from Ray Wu....that is one good looking tree!

Just backing you up Tim.

As for the pixel strips, Ray Wu online store is www.aliexpress.com Do a search on 5050 smd and or WS2811. Thats one of the smart chips that make the string pixel RGB.

Right now I am trying to get the address scheme down in my head. Between sockets, clusters, and universes, my head is spinning. And then throw in the 1-1, 1-2, 1-3, & 1-4 and my eyes are rolling too. And this is from someone that has a really good understanding of binary, octal and hex along with IP addressing. But this DMX addressing I will need more time with.

I'm going to add some Ray Wu illumination this year as well...I've been reading for a few weeks now, and my head can't absorb anymore..i'm glad you and I FINALLY have something in common...Merry Christmas Max-Paul

• Like 1

thevikester,

I would suspect that 95% of people have something in common with someone else. It is the percentage that makes people compatible. Good luck on your research and understanding this stuff, DMX addressing that is.

Merry Christmas to you to sire. And a Happy New Year. And heres to understanding new cr*p. :wacko: Getting harder the older I am getting. :lol:

Just backing you up Tim.

I probably read through the e682 documentation on that bit 10 times and still didn't understand. Finally I just started messing around with it and eventually got it working. But it sure isn't easy to understand! I think you encapsulated the craziness of it! Hopefully when I expand a bit next year I can wrap my head around it more clearly...

jlowe, lucky you. Like I said this year the house, well actually the bathrooms are going to get any spare money this year. Was hoping to get this figured out before hand. But I agree with your method, play with it and learn hands on. But supplement that with reading some.

Guest wbottomley

I probably read through the e682 documentation on that bit 10 times and still didn't understand. Finally I just started messing around with it and eventually got it working. But it sure isn't easy to understand! I think you encapsulated the craziness of it! Hopefully when I expand a bit next year I can wrap my head around it more clearly...

You'll get a better answer on DIYC.

Just backing you up Tim.

Just to clarify: Aliexpress.com is a marketplace, and Ray Wu sells on that marketplace. It's sort of like if you had a seller that exclusively sold on eBay - there are many other sellers on AliExpress. So make sure you're buying from Ray Wu - there are other sellers there that people have tried with much worse results.

If you just google "Ray Wu Store" you'll find it right away. From there you can choose "search this store" or just browse.

Ray Wu wu wu's store

http://www.aliexpress.com/store/701799

Tip: Never buy without first emailing him and asking the total cost of shipping.

It is always less than the website states, when purchasing multiple items.

Edited by SteveMaris