Light-O-Rama Forums

Issues I am encountering with LOR 3.8.2

Orville

3.8.0, never really had any issues, but since I updated to 3.8.2 this is what is happening:

When I am in the animation {NOT the visualizer} window and press the space bar to stop the music, the animation stops as it should, however the music continues to play and does not stop, clicking the X to close the animation window shows the SE cells, music still playing, but theline that moves along the tracks is frozen at one spot and does not move. Clicking the STOP button sometimes will stop the music, but it plays on for almost 30-45+ seconds before it stops, sometimes it does not stop at all and I click the X to close the SE, but it's locked. I have to do a CTRL-ALT-DEL to bring up the task manager, go into processes and locate the SE to end it before it will shut down. And sometimes it will lock the mouse up, causing me to have to turn off computer power and back on to get out of it, losing what little work I may have done in the SE.

If I am in the main SE Cell window and use the space bar to stop/start the music, the same thing happens. There have been no changes to either computer I use the software on and have never had this issue before upgrading to 3.8.2. Even if I highlight a section of an area to tweak or modify that area, using the space bar will sometimes either not start again, after 1 or 2 run throughs or sometimes it won't even start at all when pressed, won't do anything until I rehighlight the area a second time, then the process will repeat itself as outlined above.

And sometimes to resolve this I have to literally do a hard reboot {turn off the power and back on} of the computer to resolve this, but starts all over again when I go into the SE.

This is very frustrating when trying to tweak or modify the cells of an existing sequence or a new one.

This is what LOR 3.8.2 is running on currently and both computers exhibit the same behavior posted above:

Desktop: Dell Inspirion 530 / Windows XP HE / 320GB HD / 2GB Ram

Laptop: Toshiba Satelite C655-S5512 / Windows XP HE / 200GB HD / 2 GB Ram

All I can say is... thank God that I remained on 3.8.0 for the show PC. Too many people having trouble with the latest updates.

Considering going back to 3.8.0 myself. Was working on a sequence last night and every few minutes I'm having to fight with the SE to just be able to save a few changes that I had worked on. It's very aggravating when I had hoped to have the song done almost 2 days ago I wanted to put into the show, but at this rate, I'd be lucky if I get in before Christmas.

So I'm probably going to go back to 3.8.0 if that's even possible, as this upgrade to 3.8.2 has been a nightmare on my machines for sequencing.

Edited by Orville

All I can say is... thank God that I remained on 3.8.0 for the show PC. Too many people having trouble with the latest updates.

You know - I've been adamantly advising people to avoid any and all upgrades during lighting season for years now. And I violated my own advice because I thought the memory leak issue was compelling enough to take the chance. Never again! Never again! I've had issues since the upgrade that I did not have before. Co-incidence? I think not. To coin a phrase - this isn't my first rodeo.

Sometimes the cure turns out to be worse than the disease and this is definitely one of those times.

Orville I was having the same issue but it was about two or three months ago. Not sure which version 3.8 at most. It was driving me bonkers that the space bar was not stopping the play.

I tracked it down finally to an unplugged adapter. If you have more than one network defined anywhere, all must be plugged in or all kinds of waits and pauses start happening.

Once I plugged that back in and checked all the network settings, it cleared up.

You know - I've been adamantly advising people to avoid any and all upgrades during lighting season for years now. And I violated my own advice because I thought the memory leak issue was compelling enough to take the chance. Never again! Never again! I've had issues since the upgrade that I did not have before. Co-incidence? I think not. To coin a phrase - this isn't my first rodeo.

Sometimes the cure turns out to be worse than the disease and this is definitely one of those times.

I was having issues before the upgrade (in 3.5) and still having issues now (in 3.5.2). It was lose/lose...

Orville I was having the same issue but it was about two or three months ago. Not sure which version 3.8 at most. It was driving me bonkers that the space bar was not stopping the play.

I tracked it down finally to an unplugged adapter. If you have more than one network defined anywhere, all must be plugged in or all kinds of waits and pauses start happening.

Once I plugged that back in and checked all the network settings, it cleared up.

Just have a USB485B LOR Dongle and I've never had to have it connected to create, modify or tweak a sequence from the version I started with, which I believe was 2.3.4 if I remember correctly all the way up to 3.8.0 without any issues, because of the memory leak issue and there could have possibly been some issues even though I use an DC-MP3 Showtime Director, thought it was best to upgrade to the "patched" or "fixed" version. Sadly, this was a mistake, but like stated, I really had nothing this bad in any version I had used prior to this upgrade to 3.8.2.

So I know there should not be any issue wether the USB485B is connected or not, been sequencing without it like this for 3 years, only plug it in when I'm going to test a sequence through the controllers. And just for the record, I did plug in the USB485B Dongle, only item I use on my network, to see if that would resolve the issue, unfortunately I still had the same issues on both computers with or without the dongle and/or controllers disconnected or connected.

And I have no other networks except for the LOR USB485B network, don't have DMX or any of the fancy stuff, so just a single network here.

Edited by Orville

I agree with ya George.

I usually don't upgrade until I know the kinks and bugs have been at least 95-98% eliminated, but because of this particular issue, like you, decided better upgrade to latest release to have the patch/fix, just in case it would happen to affect me, even though I use an DC-MP3 Showtime Director to run my show. Just wanted to be safe than sorry later, just in case somehow it did affect the sequences and could shut down the show. And, as it turns out, that this was a big mistake on this go around.

I stuck with 3.8 and have not had any issues at all (show wise anyway). I did notice what I thought was a small memory issue but I usually end up restarting the control panel every couple days. Unfortunately being in the IT industry, I treat my show like a production system and get just as excited when it doesn't work as the systems at work. I only have around 600 regular DMX channels though so I'm probably a mini display compared to most of you.

I would highly consider putting the old version back on if it worked. I would also play my show during the day for testing if it would help. People already know you are crazy so this won't hurt anything.

• Like 1