Light-O-Rama Forums

Update to 3.9 causing timing issues

plasmadrive

I updated to 3.9 on my show computer just before show time. Seems my sequenced lost the pointers to the audio files. I had to manually tie them back together again... ok.. at least I checked before the show..

So now I go out and start watching the show and I see timing issues that were not there prior to the loading of 3.9. I am using ELLs to talk to my controllers. One is on the main lawn and it appears to be ok with the timing but it "feels" like it is a few miliseconds behind. There are 9 CBT16PC on that data string.

I have another single with it's own ELL and now has one channel that doesn't dim correctly. The unit is the farthest away but has aways worked flawlessly. One of the channels tonight is not dimming properly.. like it is lagging just a bit behind... but only on the fade out, seems ok on fade in. It has incans on it and not LEDs.

The third ELL is the closest to the transmitting one (about 15') and it seems to have the worst lag. It is feeding an IDMX and that is feeding my RGB stips. This has been right on the money for weeks, but not now. It is lagging behind the song by enough for me to notice it. (I play drums so I am pretty fair with the beat) This too has been dead on for the last several weeks.. but not now that the new software has been loaded, this latency is there.

I have not put it in to Superspeed or anything special. Just loaded and go.

Before anyone askes..... all wav files.. all has worked just as it is for the last several weeks... Software update is the only thing that has changed.

Any ideas?

I am pretty sure there is a firmware update that came along with 3.9.0 for the controllers. I updated to 3.9.0 myself mid season (despite every reservation to wait) and I didn't have any timing issues. I do have a back up show machine, and left 3.8 on it in case things went sideways. Running 3.8 was causing my machine to slow way down after several consecutive nights, and a reboot would clear it up.

As for the firmware update, since my display didn't seem to be effected, I left the controllers alone. I'll do that update in the off season. No ELLs here, so that could be your source of grief.

If you don't get any response, you might put in a trouble ticket and see what they come up with.

Were you having this problem before the update? Why did you update? During the show season I dont mess with any of that unless there is a problem. If it aint broke, dont fix it.

I would see if you can go back to your older ver. you were using. I always save the last ver file jsut in case.

My gut feel is that the upgrade to 3.9 should not have caused you to start having timing problems if you are still using the same network speed as before. To troubleshoot you need to start trying to isolate what works and what doesn't. If you can go back to 3.8 then see if everything returns to normal. You might find that something else like a cable connection just happened to go south at the same time as the upgrade...possible due to mother nature. If you are able to carry a laptop outside then directly connect it to the part of the system that seems to lag and see if the lag disappears. Or try to run a temporary hard wire between controllers to rule out whether the ELLs are causing a problem. It's usually a divide an conquer mentality when trying to troubleshoot. I like to get back to a working baseline and then make one change at a time to isolate what introduces the error. I know this is all probably hard to do in the middle of a show season.

I

I am pretty sure there is a firmware update that came along with 3.9.0 for the controllers. I updated to 3.9.0 myself mid season (despite every reservation to wait) and I didn't have any timing issues. I do have a back up show machine, and left 3.8 on it in case things went sideways. Running 3.8 was causing my machine to slow way down after several consecutive nights, and a reboot would clear it up.

As for the firmware update, since my display didn't seem to be effected, I left the controllers alone. I'll do that update in the off season. No ELLs here, so that could be your source of grief.

If you don't get any response, you might put in a trouble ticket and see what they come up with.

I did not update anything but the main software. I don't think the firmware updates would help the controllers either since I do use ELLs I can only go so fast anyway..

Were you having this problem before the update? Why did you update? During the show season I dont mess with any of that unless there is a problem. If it aint broke, dont fix it.

I would see if you can go back to your older ver. you were using. I always save the last ver file jsut in case.

I updated because of the memory leak thing. It was not an issue last year but there had been several updates this year. I am not there for my show many nights and I didn't want an issue while I was gone.

I may just go back.. but not sure yet.

My gut feel is that the upgrade to 3.9 should not have caused you to start having timing problems if you are still using the same network speed as before. To troubleshoot you need to start trying to isolate what works and what doesn't. If you can go back to 3.8 then see if everything returns to normal. You might find that something else like a cable connection just happened to go south at the same time as the upgrade...possible due to mother nature. If you are able to carry a laptop outside then directly connect it to the part of the system that seems to lag and see if the lag disappears. Or try to run a temporary hard wire between controllers to rule out whether the ELLs are causing a problem. It's usually a divide an conquer mentality when trying to troubleshoot. I like to get back to a working baseline and then make one change at a time to isolate what introduces the error. I know this is all probably hard to do in the middle of a show season.

I agree that is should not have caused an issue.. The entire system works fine.. I had no issues prior to the update. Went from perfect timing to the latency at the update only. To be honest, most people may not even notice it, but I sure do. Worked real hard at getting the timing right on the money.. There are only 12 days left, so I am going to leave it be unless it gets worse. I was wondering if anyone else had run into it... After the 1st I will work on it a bit before I start pulling the system down for storage. I will update if I find anything.