Light-O-Rama Forums

Timing and music off by about 1.5 seconds when using "play visible screen"

milateket

I have been resequencing a song and noticed when i use the play visible screen option the music and the sequence timing goes off by about 1.5 seconds. I am using 3.9 and this issue just started today. No issues since i started using 3.9. Any comments?

Got this response from John on the FB site:

Use a .wav file as your first choice. The actual problem you are having is your .mp3 file is a Variable Bit Rate ( VBR ). Convert it to .wav and you will have no more syncing problems.

Alternatively, use Audacity, or Goldwave ( ver 5.12 ONLY!! ) to convert it to Constant Bit Rate ( CBR ) or to a .wav file (best choice)

Which is the #1 advice you will get from here as well. 99% of timing errors come from a VBR MP3 file in terms of playback vs sequencing.

Go with a CBR, MP3 and you should have no problems, WAV files are bigger and might create a small problem.

Just for the record, it takes more CPU time to play a MP3 file than it does a WAV file. This is why in the early days of LOR it was often recommended to use WAV files, as the computers back in 2003-5 weren't nearly as powerful as they are today.

Given the size and speed of most modern hard drives, the file size shouldn't be an issue.

• 3 weeks later...

I am having this problem, but for only one sequence. I have exported the song from Audacity as constant bit rate 128 kbs. I do this with all my songs and this is the only sequence that has this problem. I am running Windows 7 Core i5@2.4 GHz and have 6 GB Ram. None of my other sequences or songs have this issue. What do I do next?

I converted all my songs to .wav format. No problems since. I noticed it happening in two of my sequences. They were both larger, data wise, sequences. I just went with the "best choice" choice ;)

I converted all my songs to .wav format. No problems since. I noticed it happening in two of my sequences. They were both larger, data wise, sequences. I just went with the "best choice" choice ;)

Since I use an MP3 Director to run my sequences, I can't change them all to wav format. Also, the problem is only with this particular sequence all my other sequences are MP3 and work fine. I am running 3.8.2 and have tried starting a new sequence and the problem still exists.