Light-O-Rama Forums

USB-485?

forddieseldean

ok i have updated to 3.9 software and updated my 12 ccrs firmware to 1.10 the ccrs are running on three networks (4 to a network). i decided to throw the 500k switch for the ccrs and it gets sloppy but as soon as i go back to 115k it straightens right up.....so.... is the USB- 485 not up to par for the 500k?

From some other threads, the older USB-485 adapters don't handle the 500K very well. I have no further details since I'm doing my pixels on E1.31

The big question is how old is old? Year, few years? I have a usb booster from 2008/2009 time frame. IF that could handle it I would use all 12 on the booster splitting both ways from the house. The two I purchased this year looks like it can handle it.

What do you mean by getting sloppy. Lag?

Edited by friskybri

i got 3 usb-485's this past march and april. when i set it to 115k everything runs like it should with no problems, but as soon as i go to 500k my sequences start hanging pixels ever so often and the color white is multi colored in some spots of the sequence not actual ccr. i have checked the sequence to make sure it wasn't that way....its not but in 115k its back to fine. i do have a usb hub 3.0 w/ its own power so i plugged the converters directly to the usb's on the computer not the hub and still the same. i have three networks 4 ccrs per network and 100ft 5e ethernet cable going to each. i have seperated all ethernet cables away from power cables. i have tried everything. oh i also have a usb-485 from 2009 that i tried and it failed to do 500k but will do 115k....

Edited by forddieseldean

oh i also have a usb-485 from 2009 that i tried and it failed to do 500k but will do 115k....

Does it not work at all on the old one. What do you get from that one. I haven't tried the 485booster from 2009 yet. I have also noticed some glitchy things going on with the faster speed. I am gong to slow it back down tonight and see the change. I noticed half my ribbons on the bottom during one song not work properly. Checked the sequences and it was not right.

on the old one i got the same result.... up to 115k ok but not 500k. 115k works great but that 500k is smooth if i can get the glitches worked out

I am thinking the 500k does not work good with any of the usb-485. I just got 2 in October and I still see glitches. They work great in slower movements but the fast movements it freaks out. Commands get missed. Maybe when they tested them under the controlled environment they work fine. Kind of wondering when the new dongles will be available that can handle the faster movements.

i sent a message to dan and he said none of the usb-485's should do 500k b/c the chip is only rated for 250k but some do with no glitches and the new usb-485's that do 500k will be out after christmas

Edited by forddieseldean

Sigh.

I bought 2 new USB RS485 after 500K and 3.9.0 I get great smooth transitions (500K) when movement is slow but it is chopping at 500K when the pixels get complex and fast. I guess I am buying 2 new high speed USB 485 devices after Christmas when available.

RS485 when used in industry, is a "terminated" signal. The idea is that all the units present a high resistance to the data connection (as the LOR units do), then a 120 ohm resistor is placed across each end of the data pair. At low data speeds this is not always necessary, but once the speed increases significantly, it wil help reduce inteference and therefore errors in the data. I must admit though that the LOR communications are very robust, and most of the time you can get away without having to worry about termination resistors.

Regards,

Alan C.

Alan,

I think you might have missed something on this thread. Running 500k on a device that is rated at max for 250k is pretty much a problem when you load it up with data. Terminator or not, the chips in the process must be able to handle the speed or you will have data issues.

Yes, well spotted. I still believe that sooner or later we will need to start adding terminating resistors onto the data cables - it should cut down inteference from power cabling too.

Regards,

Alan.

• 6 months later...

I'm agreeing with Alan C. here,  RS-485 does like proper termination, at the PC or director, the cat 5 cable should have a 120 ohm resistor between A and B (data N, and data P respectively) So far from what I've learned about LOR's use of cat 5 cables there are only 4 wires used in the cable, pin 3 is Vcc, (for remote power) pin 4 is the "A", pin 5 is the "B", and 6 is ground, at BOTH ends, a short cable with a resistor between A and B can be used as a "load", this way it doesn't matter what controler (or cable) goes where, just use the "load" cable going into the last controller in the string, and the cable into the director or PC.

The above is assuming that the entire network is daisy chained (in out) from start to finish, with NO "branches" (proper RS-485 is much like token ring ethernet, in a point to point configuration.)