Light-O-Rama Forums

CT Mourning

nicwessely

Another problem is if you're using LEDs (full wave, sealed) 50% intensity is almost as bright as full on. To get it to look like 50% you might need to go down to 20% or less.

Or if you're using half-wave LEDs, then you have to calibrate even differently since they're a different brightness to begin with.

And then, God help you if you have incans as well - you'll need yet another setting for them, Plus blues and clears look quite a bit different at 50%, so you're probably going to need a different intensity for those two colors. Then you have to take into account whether your incans are new or faded and adjust for that also.

Sure sounds a lot simpler to just follow Pete's advice and play Kevin's voice over and go from there. Plus, dark makes a stronger impression than 50% intensity IMO.

Or get a flag and fly it at half mast.

I dont think Kevin sounds like the silence of the lambs guy, especially since I use several of his other tracks in my show and absolutely appreciate all he does for the community.

With that being said I can see your irritation and frustration Drew and where you are coming from. I can also see why the people who have chosen to run a tribute or an audio snip have made that decision as well. As a group we are doers, we put these displays up year after year and add on to them for the enjoyment of children and adults alike in our areas. Its everyone's nature here and across the country to want to do something. The harsh, sad, irritating, and frustrating reality is there is nothing we can do. There is no one to hold accountable, no one left alive to point the finger at and get answers from. Everyone feels helpless and no matter how stubborn some of us are we all at some point realize thats exactly what we are in this situation helpless.

Friday was a busy day at work for me and was in the field working most of the afternoon completely oblivious to any of what had taken place. Pulled in the driveway, lights already on as I came up the street passing cars parked watching the show. Went inside to everyone in my house glued to CNN watching the horror unfold. Like everyone my first response was "why" and "is there anything we can do". About that time my 3 year old came running down the stairs excited and wanted to go outside to see the lights. Heavy hearted and confused my wife and I took her outside to watch the show thinking as we walked to the road that maybe I should shut it down tonight or add a moment of silence to pay my respects, taps, "angels among us", a star for each lost life SOMETHING! Once at the road we heard the kids all singing along and dancing. The parents laughing at there goofy kids and the heart felt thank you's coming from every rolled down window that passed by.

I decided then that I would not be adding anything to the show or creating any sort of opening for any conversation that other wise may not have taken place by those parents choosing to shelter their kids from the pure evil that transpired hours earlier.

This weekend was our busiest weekend to date since I started this hobby and I truly believe it was because parents wanted their children out from in front of the tv. They wanted more family time than usual and they wanted a happy fun place to take them. If that is the case and that is what I provided then I'm already doing the only thing I can do.

My prayers go out to each and every one of the people affected by this tragedy.

I live in CT. The last 2 nights were the busiest ever since I started light shows. Hundreds of cars. Just about everyone I spoke to told me they wanted to get the kids away from the news and try not to think of the tragedy for a little bit. I will not be adding amything to the show that reminds them.

I am not going to change anything besides my donation sign. I am sending all donations to the victims families but not going to put in any reminder of what happened. Just a simple sign change.

• The topic was locked