Light-O-Rama Forums

CT Mourning

nicwessely

I hate to have to post something like this, but what are your views on our light shows in light of what has happened? Do we run them? Or stay dark as it were a flag at half staff?

I refuse to let acts of terror change the way I do things. Therefore, I will run my show as scheduled and pray for them.

This is what I put on our FB page this afternoon. Feel free to steal it and use it - I borrowed parts of it from other people's posts:

"Our prayers go out today to those affected by the shooting in Connecticut. When you get home from school or work. Make sure you hug your loved ones. Make sure you tell them that you love them.

Some of our friends in the decorating hobby are darkening their lights tonight in response to the tragedy. Others fell that tonight, more than ever, people need something to make them feel the love and joy

of the Christmas season. We fall into that second category, and will still be running tonight.

If you're going out tonight looking at Christmas lights, make it a family event, and spend some time with your loved ones. If today's events put you out of the mood for festive activities, that's completely understandable too.

Remember, tomorrow is never promised. We live day by day."

I am in CT and this has hit this little state hard. I too was questioning whether to run tonight. I decided to run and I am glad. There are currently over twenty cars out there at this moment and I hope for at least 1/2 hour, these people can think of something other than this horror and enjoy some family time tonight. God Bless

I agree completely with running the shows. Anything you guys (and gals) can do to make people smile on a night like this makes you a hero.

This is soooo heart warming to hear. I too agree. I am running my show as we speak as well. Huge turn out. Had a cop pull up and shook my hand thanking me as about a dozen children were dancing in the lawn!!!

The street's been full all night. I don't know if it's my imagination, but people seem to be hugging and holding their kids a lot more tonight.

What a shame it takes sometthing like this to remind us what's precious.

This is what I put on our FB page this afternoon. Feel free to steal it and use it - I borrowed parts of it from other people's posts:

"Our prayers go out today to those affected by the shooting in Connecticut. When you get home from school or work. Make sure you hug your loved ones. Make sure you tell them that you love them.

Some of our friends in the decorating hobby are darkening their lights tonight in response to the tragedy. Others fell that tonight, more than ever, people need something to make them feel the love and joy

of the Christmas season. We fall into that second category, and will still be running tonight.

If you're going out tonight looking at Christmas lights, make it a family event, and spend some time with your loved ones. If today's events put you out of the mood for festive activities, that's completely understandable too.

Remember, tomorrow is never promised. We live day by day."

Thank you i will use this also.

Ok other than Amazing GRace can we ALL work on and share a song and sequence dedicated to those lost and those affected in CT think we can do it?, im thinking Testify to Love if i could get some help sequenceing it like in overnight i got the mp3,

Edited by Lights_on_light_st_ct

The street's been full all night. I don't know if it's my imagination, but people seem to be hugging and holding their kids a lot more tonight.

What a shame it takes sometthing like this to remind us what's precious.

Busiest night here also. Family all together here on a rainy night sharing time .

Well said George

There are several threads started about this tragedy, I'm wondering if it would be a good idea if admin combines them into one thread. Is there a way for us to agree on a certain song to sequence for a tribute across America and do a collection for the families next weekend? Maybe be willing to give the media a heads up on our intentions.

The song "Calling All Angels" would also be a nice tributary song. Since all those innocent children are now all Angels.

Very sad day, but like others, I kept the display up and running to bring a little joy for folks to try and take their minds from this horrendous tragedy.

Edited by Orville

My Dedication to the 26 Angels from CT. The Children and Adults we have all lost are now looking down upon us and i as a decorator want to honor them by giving them bright Lights to look at as they look down upon us. I shed my Tears and pray for all those involved and give my most heart Felt Condolences

i hand sequenced in 2hours it is only 3:08 and i will SHARE the mp3 and my seq it is only 32 Channel's

Edited by Lights_on_light_st_ct

For those of you who fly a US flag at your house:

Presidential Proclamation -- Honoring the Victims of the Shooting in Newtown, Connecticut

HONORING THE VICTIMS OF THE TRAGEDY IN NEWTOWN, CONNECTICUT

BY THE PRESIDENT OF THE UNITED STATES OF AMERICA

A PROCLAMATION

As a mark of respect for the victims of the senseless acts of violence perpetrated on December 14, 2012, in Newtown, Connecticut, by the authority vested in me as President of the United States by the Constitution and the laws of the United States of America, I hereby order that the flag of the United States shall be flown at half-staff at the White House and upon all public buildings and grounds, at all military posts and naval stations, and on all naval vessels of the Federal Government in the District of Columbia and throughout the United States and its Territories and possessions until sunset, December 18, 2012. I also direct that the flag shall be flown at half-staff for the same length of time at all United States embassies, legations, consular offices, and other facilities abroad, including all military facilities and naval vessels and stations.

IN WITNESS WHEREOF, I have hereunto set my hand this fourteenth day of December, in the year of our Lord two thousand twelve, and of the Independence of the United States of America the two hundred and thirty-seventh.

BARACK OBAMA

For those of you who fly a US flag at your house:

I do 11 months of the year, when it's not a mega-tree. I have nothing to lower during the display season, unfortunately.

I do 11 months of the year, when it's not a mega-tree. I have nothing to lower during the display season, unfortunately.

WHat, you can't lower your lights half-way down Tim? And here I thought you were prepared for anything! :P

Unfortunately the type flag I have is not able to be lowered if it were up, and if it were it wouldn't fly during these times either. It just hangs on a mount on the side of the house at about a 45 degree angle. Plus I take it down when the decorations go up, so from October through around January 3rd no flag here either.