Light-O-Rama Forums

Starting from scratch....

lowepg

Hmmmm. I thought it was dramatic (the power consumption on incan vs LED).

Whats the actual math look like?

Is it a 2 yr payback on electricity cost vs initial purchase difference... or is it 7 yrs, etc?

Did you forget that the Bucs play here??? Everybody kicks their butt!!

Thats true, we Tampinians are well versed in the "they will do better next year" lingo.

As for can you do it, yes you can. 16 strings, build a weber tree with them and light up the night!

Did you forget that the Bucs play here??? Everybody kicks their butt!!

Are the Bucks still playing?! Who gives a crap about them, go ahead and kick their butts, just don't mess with the Packers and the Badgers :P

Hmmmm. I thought it was dramatic (the power consumption on incan vs LED).

Whats the actual math look like?

Is it a 2 yr payback on electricity cost vs initial purchase difference... or is it 7 yrs, etc?

payback depends on the number of lights, the math is out there but it was a year or so back I read the article on it. The amps used per channel is substantially less allowing you to essentially run more lights for less money. Had I stayed with the same amount of lights it would have been a two year payback for me, I instead trippled the amount of lights so that will be stretched to 3-4.

Can you point me towards a reputable source for LED strings? Im looking for, essentially, the LED equivalent to incan minilights...... will use to build mega tree, decorate bushes, trees, etc, etc.

It seems like the Lowes incans are good reference points, but whats a compaerable LED?

Most of us here try to use a commercial grade LED string and either purchase them from CDI, Novelty-lights, or Holiday-lights-express. Some have been happy with 1000bulbs.com but I found there customer support horrid.

100 light mini light string uses 100 watts of power, 100 light LED String uses 4.8 watts of power. I agree LED are more expensive but they are the only lights i have on my house. I will be ordering from CDI this year for lights. With their preorder sale it comes out to about 12 bucks for a strand of 100.

I just started last year and here is how I got a ton of my LED strings. The day after Christmas most stores put everything on 50% off. Then on New Years Day everything went to 75% off. The problem is a lot of the inventory will get wiped out by the 50% sale. And this year it's looking like stores have less inventory. Last year I found LED strings I really liked at Walgrens. Early New Years Day I must have driven around to between 10 to 12 different Walgrens across town buying up lights and mainly because I was trying to get 5 boxes each of the C6 red, green, and white strings and the red and green were really hard to come by. I was disappointed that this year Walgrens is carrying a completely different brand of lights and I didn't think they looked as nice and they definitely don't have the same selection. Last year I got faceted M5, red green and white M6's, several C9 boxes and the 70 count Ice Lights. I must have bought close to a hundred boxes around $2.79 a box. There is no way I could afford to get what I have at $12 a box and I've been happy with what the lights look like and no noticeable dimming issues I keep hearing about.

I was using Mr. Christmas until this year when I got a great deal on 5 used LOR controllers. In a week or so, I had 2 of them setup and controlling lights. It's not insurmountable. The only real deficit is that it's a 5 song show at the moment, but I hope to make that 6-8 before Christmas. :)

I am running all LEDs with the exception of 10 incan candy canes from Wal-Mart. I have a very tempermental power source and haven't resorted to having an electrician come give me "MORE POWER!" yet. The LEDs definitely help in that respect. They are also (as mentioned) much brighter, and have a visual punch to them when you pop all lights on during those hot spots in the music. I have had great success with Phillips LED lights, and the snowflakes that they make (and are available at Target) are awesome - very bright.

However, I do find that the incans provide a much warmer light. When I sweep-fade the candy canes, the glow is ethereal.