Light-O-Rama Forums

Starting from scratch....

lowepg

So I finally bit the bullet.... after this one last year or the "same old lights" I decided I'm moving to LOR for next season.

I actually decided the same thing LAST season and procrastinated too long. So, to force myself into action, I actually just ordered a 16-channel start kit. I figured, while I couldn't do anything AMAZING, I could plug my existing stuff in and start experimenting with the software.

I'm also thinking right after the holidays might be a good time to BUY some of the stuff I'll need.

So here's my question:

I don't really have that much invested right now:

maybe a couple dozen strings of the old white minis' and

4 strips of 5M/5050/RGB/SMD waterproof 300 LED strips

Since I'm practically starting from scratch, would you recommend moving to LEDs vs buying more regular old incandescent minis?

If so, which kinds are recommended?

BTW, to give you some insight, I'm envisioning starting modestly next year:

a big super tree

a bunch of small mini trees

lights on lanscaping shrubs and bushes

vertical dumb LED strips on the edged of the house

lights around the windows...

maybe icicles on the roof line...

*** also my daughters are absolutely IN LOVE with the singing faces for Halloween, so Ill be trying to build some of those as well.

BTW, i KNOW 16-channels isnt close to enough for what I just rattled off, I simple bought the single unit to force myself into action and to start learning hands-on.

Edited by lowepg

my first year with LOR and allready planing for next. I have 32 channels and hope too double that.

I am buying incan at Lowes for 1.98 so I really do not think the 13.00 are really gonna pay off my opinion only

incans are cheap but they lose color after a seaon or two. LED holds it color. As well if you use few controllers but thousands of lights, the incans will be a balancing act of power, LEDs its much easier as you can load many more strings of led vs incan.

your RGB led strips will require a DC style board, lucky LOR has you covered there as well.

Plan ahead, make your own mini trees for the yard as found here in the how to's, keep the controller in the living room and play all year round!

Wait for the sales, be it pre-order sales through one of the more trusted sites such as http://www.creativedisplays.com or Wal-Mart, Target, etc. Seems like all the big box stores are selling LED lights much more than incandescent. Avoid Martha Stewart LED lights. Believe Home Depot sells them. They seem to have dimming issues.

Ultimately, decide what you want your display to look and build towards it. You may decide you really want to start out with 32 or more channels rather than 16 (LOR will do a sale later on in the year). You may want to make your own extension cords. Be certain to get the right wire and vampire plugs to go with the wire, be it either SPT1 or SPT2. Not a good idea to use SPT2 plugs with SPT1 wire and vice-versa. Mainly different sizes and amperage capabilities. Realize it is far better to have too much wire than not enough.

Perhaps the best thing to do is make a list and check it twice. Do whatever you want to do and have fun with it. :)

THE sale is more like 10% with other incentives as well, happens around late July. Lights in local stores are selling out. There is a Spring sale around early March, prices may be better, but limited quantities.

Before you purchase your software, think long and hard on how many channels you'll think you want to determine what software level is best for you. Buying the advanced level at initial purchase is cheaper than upgrading later.

Before you purchase your software, think long and hard on how many channels you'll think you want to determine what software level is best for you. Buying the advanced level at initial purchase is cheaper than upgrading later.

This is one of the most often asked questions. If you have any desire to keep growing get the one you will use in the future. Or go advanced now and save the headaches later.

I feel that I am in exactly the same place as LOWEPG (first post here). But the group seems to be very supportive of us 'Newbies'.

I currently have on order a 16 channel controller and I am already experimenting with the software to try to get familiar with it. Yes,

I realize 16 channels isn't much but I did purchase the software version that allows me to expand to 48 channels.

So thanks to all who contribute and know that there are probably lots of others who appreciate the input from those who have been

at this several years, especially those who have so generously shared their sequences.

Again, thanks to the group.

Ken

If you're a musical moron like me and don't know the difference between a downbeat and a cleft, you're going to want the Beat Wizard. (Which in and of itself IMHO is worth the price of admission.) That means you need at least the Basic Plus level.

I, too, recommend getting the Advanced level right from the start. Why cheat yourself out of software features that many of us use regularly that might ultimately make a big difference in your success and satisfaction? In for a penny, in for a pound...

Edited by George Simmons

Well, LOR shipped fast! I was surprised- expected them to be slow this close to XMAS.... unit will be here Monday and I had already upgraded to the standard.... since i just bought it- maybe Ill call and see if they'll just charge me the difference to bump up to the advanced package.

I was thinking I'd just plug in my existing "display" (bunch of minilights around yard).... but now Im thinking I might be able to get away with a mega tree- and just build it to use all 16 channels....

LOL- can I pull off a 10' tree in a week?

Actually Im not so worried about the frame fabrication as FINDING lights... all the retail ships around me (Raleigh, NC) are sold out of minilights.... doh.... maybe the tree is not gonna happen...

Lowepg,

If you can find the lights it is definitely possible. I started with nothing this year and within a week had my 16 channels up and running its an 8'channel mega tree. I too ran into the same issue with not being able to find lights. My savior was Michaels crafts. They had about 100 boxes of 100 ct mini lights still in stock. They were a little more pricey than Walmart, Home Depot, and lowes but I was in a bind and splurged so I could have my tree.

Made the "trunk" of the tree with 2" 10' long PVC pipe and hammered down 6 4' pieces of rebar to hold it up. Took two 10' 1/2" PVC pipe and bent the two in half and connected them with a coupling. That was my base for the lights to string around the bottom. Found a 2" to 4" flange and drilled holes all around it and screwed in hooks to hold my lights at the top of the tree. Took another flange, same dimensions, flipped it over and PVC glued them together. This allowed me to put another one foot piece of 2" pipe out the top to attach my star to. Running 8 channels and 4 strings per channel for my mega tree. Came out awesome. Hope this helps

Fellow noob

DP

I'm about as new as you can get to LOR and too top it off i'm pretty much computer illieterate!! (Not a good combination!! ) But the folks on this Forum are awesome and have been more than willing to help me out!! :D I built a 14' mega tree with 2k worth of lights. Did it on my own and it took me four full days (as in 8am to 9pm) to get it done!! A little bit of a learning curve, I'm pretty sure I could cut a day off that now that I have a clue as to what I'm doing! It looks pretty sharp though! Still getting the hang of the sequencing, which again has a pretty steep learning curve!! And i've just scratched the surface, but I definetly got the bug!!!! Got all kinds of ideas for next year!!! :rolleyes: So, if I could get a tree built and running I'm pretty sure anyone can!!! ;)

my first year with LOR and allready planing for next. I have 32 channels and hope too double that.

I am buying incan at Lowes for 1.98 so I really do not think the 13.00 are really gonna pay off my opinion only

they would from a light bill stand point, my first year was ican's. I was running half the controllers and 1/4 the number of lights. My additional light bill was well over $300. I now run double the controllers and 4 times the lights which results in ONLY a $75 hit to my light bill.

I'm about as new as you can get to LOR and too top it off i'm pretty much computer illieterate!! (Not a good combination!! ) But the folks on this Forum are awesome and have been more than willing to help me out!! :D I built a 14' mega tree with 2k worth of lights. Did it on my own and it took me four full days (as in 8am to 9pm) to get it done!! A little bit of a learning curve, I'm pretty sure I could cut a day off that now that I have a clue as to what I'm doing! It looks pretty sharp though! Still getting the hang of the sequencing, which again has a pretty steep learning curve!! And i've just scratched the surface, but I definetly got the bug!!!! Got all kinds of ideas for next year!!! :rolleyes: So, if I could get a tree built and running I'm pretty sure anyone can!!! ;)

And a GreenBay fan, terrible combo. Do what you think will make you happy, no, scratch that, do what you can afford and have fun with it.

And a GreenBay fan, terrible combo. Do what you think will make you happy, no, scratch that, do what you can afford and have fun with it.

Hey, there are a few Packer fans here, don't make us come down there and kick your butt! :P:)

Do what we can afford?! I think everyone of us goes way over budget :D

Hey, there are a few Packer fans here, don't make us come down there and kick your butt! :P:)

Do what we can afford?! I think everyone of us goes way over budget :D

Did you forget that the Bucs play here??? Everybody kicks their butt!!

Lowepg:

I understand where you're coming from. This is also my first year. I started with the 16 channel controller. Less than a week after I got it, I ordered another controller and upgraded to Advanced. I am running 32 channels this year and plan to upgrade to 64 next year. I will look into building my own extension cords next year, or during the next year, as I have spend over $1024.00 on 40' extension cords. Man,. this hobby is addictive. I am already planning for next Christmas. Just hope I live that long. HA!!!!!

You will have fun with this hobby. And it seems that everyone on this forum is willing to help out when you have problems. Have fun!!!!

they would from a light bill stand point, my first year was ican's. I was running half the controllers and 1/4 the number of lights. My additional light bill was well over $300. I now run double the controllers and 4 times the lights which results in ONLY a $75 hit to my light bill.

Can you point me towards a reputable source for LED strings? Im looking for, essentially, the LED equivalent to incan minilights...... will use to build mega tree, decorate bushes, trees, etc, etc.

It seems like the Lowes incans are good reference points, but whats a compaerable LED?

I see lots of references to LEDs saving power. And they do use a lot less power. But they cost a LOT more. I don't think the power savings can justify them in any reasonable time frame. It would take years.

But I love LEDs. They have a much purer color. A blue LED actually puts out blue light. A blue incandescent bulb has a glowing orange tungsten filament shining through a piece of glass coated blue. It's a very different visual result. And the coatings fade in a year. Incandescent minis all age to orange over time.

I like that I don't give much thought to power load balancing across channels, sides of controllers, whole controllers, etc. like I once had to.

I switched over to all LEDs this year. I love the result. It only cost a small fortune.