Light-O-Rama Forums

Showtime MP3 & Motion sensor not working well together ...help!

NvrBABuckeye

Guys,

I am running a mp3 director on 64 channels, and as a last minute addition we added a donation box this year. I thought I would install a 10VDC motion detector inside the box so when the lid opened it would use a trigger imput to open a short sequence acknowledging/thanking them for the donation for a local kids weekend meal charity.

The motion detector works, however, the problem is it is setting its self off even when its not triggerd by the flap(in a complely enclosed box). I have tried adjusting the sensor from one pulse to 2 hoping it would eliminate the wind shaking the mailbox to no avail. Has anyone ever had a problem with motion detecors inadvertantly setting off?

I was thinking of switching to a micro switch, roller limit switch on the flap. Has anyone had success using these, or recomend a more reliable switch. From what i am finding on these type of switches most are coming from china and take to long to get a hold of. Does anyone have a supplier they use in the states you can get your hands on realatively quick?

all help, & advise is apprecitated.

thanks

Josh

• 2 weeks later...

Digikey.com

For your application, I would use either a micro switch as you suggested or a magnetic switch (think security switch). Of course the latter may not work if you are using a metal donation box (depending on the switch).