Light-O-Rama Forums

Gfci problems

cn2450

ive read a few of these post but none seem to describe my particlar problem so hear goes. i have a 16 channel controller with dual power inputs, i have each of the two inputs connected to a gfci each one is a dedicated circuit. channels 1-8 operate fine channels 9-16 not so well. the gfci will trip within 15 sec of me pluging it it (with no lights connected.) so i got out the trusty meter and started checking i think the controler has a problem when i check impedance between netural and hot on channels 1-8 i get nothing no conductive path just like i would expect, chanels 9-16 i get a 100.2 ohm between the leads. this leads me to believe the controler has a problem or am i competly crazzy hear.

You are going to see conductivity between the hot and neutral on one side, since that is the side that powers the electronics. That's not the issue.

Something is leaking current from one side to the other. Check all your dongles and connections to ensure that you don't have any nicks in the insulation/etc. Also ensure that the neutrals and grounds are tied together properly -- having a neutral (or in some cases a ground) return to the wrong side will cause the issue as well.

As Mike stated above, verify all of the dongle connections. Pay close attention to the neutrals! If one has crossed banks (sides), you will have issues. Also, if you have the controller on an extension cord (or cords), rule out the cord(s) by swapping it with another or plug the controller directly into the outlets (unless this is the case).

A GFCI detects current flow outside of the circuit, and trips if that measured current exceeds the trip setting. Any current between the hot and neutral of the circuit is ignored by the GFCI. There is a reason your device is tripping; just a matter of finding it.

You are going to see conductivity between the hot and neutral on one side, since that is the side that powers the electronics. That's not the issue.

Something is leaking current from one side to the other. Check all your dongles and connections to ensure that you don't have any nicks in the insulation/etc. Also ensure that the neutrals and grounds are tied together properly -- having a neutral (or in some cases a ground) return to the wrong side will cause the issue as well.

i currently have the thing sitting on my kichen table unhooked all the dongles except the two that provide the power and sure enofe pop goes the gfici when pulged in

GFCIs trip if the current flow is not the same in the hot & neutral indicating that some of the current is taking a side path, possibly through a person. There should be infinite resistance between the hot and ground & infinite resistance between the neutral & ground.

Pull out the circuit card, remove the heat sink. Look for any bugs or other critters. If you see nothing, no black marks or anything out of place. Put down paper on the table. Make sure that the board is not libel to move. Then plug it in again. If no trips, then reinstall the heat sink. While doing this, make sure it does not contact any of the circuit paths. And try again. Now look inside of the box and make sure that there is no FOD. Install in box and test. If at any time you have a problem. You might want to create a ticket with LOR.