Light-O-Rama Forums

Lor E1.31 Equipment?

Chris B

Possibly a dumb question but does anyone know if LOR is planning on releasing a e1.31 pixel controller or any other kind of light controller controlled with the e1.31 protocol? After reading the last few nights about these pixel controllers I'm starting to believe this is going to be the future of christmas light control. Anyone else???

Chris

• Like 1

Guest wbottomley

Possibly a dumb question but does anyone know if LOR is planning on releasing a e1.31 pixel controller or any other kind of light controller controlled with the e1.31 protocol? After reading the last few nights about these pixel controllers I'm starting to believe this is going to be the future of christmas light control. Anyone else???

Chris

Nope. It will not be the future. Some users have no desire to learn E1.31 or anything related. So.... those AC controllers will still be in demand.

Nope. It will not be the future. Some users have no desire to learn E1.31 or anything related. So.... those AC controllers will still be in demand.

While I agree that ac controllers will always be in demand I do think LOR will at some point make a e1.31 pixel controller just from reading all the threads back earlier in the year about not holding off on e1.31 software support even if the hardware was not complete yet. I cant begin to speculate on what that hardware would be exactly or what the future of lighting will be. If you would of told me 15 years ago we would all be walking around with digital cameras, a telephone, a gps, and pc's with internet access in one device in our pockets I would have said no way people dont have the desire to have all that in one device or care to learn how to use it, pagers work just fine right? Look at us now though. So who knows really but as for me the old and the new will find a place in my show.

I remember discussion of a e1.31 to DMX bridge, with the added trick of also being a e1.31 to LOR bridge. So if it was a 4 port device, you could have one ethernet cable running outside, and have 4 networks of LOR or DMX (or a mix) without any USB adapters on the PC.

• 3 weeks later...

LOR has acknowledged E1.31 as something their users are interested in and have added support for it. They have also created a specific section on the forums to talk about it. I have been 95% LED for a while now and have used CCR's for three years. In 2013 I am adding some E1.31 stuff and I personally know several individuals in my area that are doing the same. Will 50% or more of LOR user's go the E1.31 route which is really just DMX over the network? Hard to say as I dont posess a crystal ball. It is much tougher to sequence when you go the individual pixel route however, I do know that technology constantly changes and improves over time. If the software makes the sequencing much simpler than I would anticipate a lot more people switching over to it and LOR would be wrong to ignore that part of the business. After all, they support the DMX protocol even though "some users have no desire to learn DMX or anything related."

• Like 3