Light-O-Rama Forums

Power External Devises off of the CTB16PC

Ponddude

I was just wondering if you could some how power an old computer fan off of the CTB16PC board? I have 3 LOR units that will be put into a box, that I would like to install a fan in. Can this be done?

Greg

I think that all devices in a computer are 12V, so you'd need a convertor...(aka the power supply) to control them, or a wall transformer that will step it down to 12V. My brother had a "wall wart" on hand, so he took that and wired it up to a fan...and it worked. Make sure it's the right volts, milli-amps, etc.

Ponddude wrote:

I was just wondering if you could some how power an old computer fan off of the CTB16PC board? I have 3 LOR units that will be put into a box, that I would like to install a fan in. Can this be done?

Greg

With all three units in that box you will have 500ma at 10vdc on the cat5 that you can use. Most 12vdc computer fans will run on 10vdc. Get one that is only like 100ma or so. It will move enough air and it will present a minimal load on things.

Great...

Thanks Dan. I knew there had to be a low voltage side on the board for the computer imputs!!

Thanks a lot.

Greg