Light-O-Rama Forums

USBRS485 Driver

Darq01

I think I have a bad usb485 adapter, it is getting warm and software just can not find controller. red steady blinking light and controller. Replaced usb cable and cat 5 cable, running LOR hardware software set up it can't find the controller. Not sure what else I can do other than replace it

I think I have a bad usb485 adapter, it is getting warm and software just can not find controller. red steady blinking light and controller. Replaced usb cable and cat 5 cable, running LOR hardware software set up it can't find the controller. Not sure what else I can do other than replace it

Did you try swapping in a new USB cable? Unlikely fix, but possible.

Also, have you tried another USB port on your PC? What about another PC?

Others may have other troubleshooting suggestions, but it sounds like your assessment is right to me. Next thing I'd try is a new adapter. I've never touched mine while running, but I can't imagine that it's supposed to get warm.

Another user just posted a few days ago a photo of the inside of his USB485B with a burnt chip. He noted the smell of something electronic fried and he was right. I wonder if you have a chip that let out the smoke also?

Edited by Max-Paul

What is connected to your LOR network? Just in case - I have fried my spare LOR dongle this year due to Low Voltage LED transformers... They have +12 V connected to ground... So there was a Voltage difference between the ground of my LOR DC board and the ground o the computer if exactly these 12 V... At 250W the thing was fried in no time... I had to move to all opto insulated ports and DMX since...

I would just whish there is a "LOR Splitter" similar to Entec's DMX Splitter with 4 fully insulated ports...

I would highly recommend to measure first before connecting - otherwise your new controller might get fried too...