Light-O-Rama Forums

Hardware Util cant find controller

Mike Cole

This years project is to add 6 more 16 ch controllers to the 7 I used last year. I bought the CTB16PC kits and soldered them all up with no problems. There all mounted in enclosures and all tested good. However one isn't being found by the Hardware Utility. I've changed the Unit# many times, but it can't be found. If I just input the # in the utility. it works fine in test mode, fade, shimmer, on, off,and so on. Next I linked 3 controlled w/cat5 and asked the Utility to find them and it found all but the problem controller. So I opened the Sequence Editor to a sequence, hooked up some lights, ran the song and it works fine! So the problem is, just that the Hardware Utility says "0 units found"for that controller, but it all works fine. Maybe not a big problem, but I need to fix it. Any ideas?...................Thanks, Mike

I think this was brought up on the PC forum; can't remember the exact details though. If I find the topic I will post here, but I think basically, it was a bug in the hardware utility and even though it said it didn't find it, what you did was correct. I will look for the link though, just to be sure.

Denny wrote:

I think this was brought up on the PC forum; can't remember the exact details though. If I find the topic I will post here, but I think basically, it was a bug in the hardware utility and even though it said it didn't find it, what you did was correct. I will look for the link though, just to be sure.

Denny,

Be sure to look here. All the old posts were transferred over to the new forums.

Thanks Denny........but I dont think thats the problem. I had that problem, "unknown device",when others did awhile back and fixed it with the download of hardware utility 1.6.3......the utility finds all my other new boards except the problem one which says "0 units found"................Mike

Thanks again Denny........reset the chip and no help....guess I need to take the card out of the box, remove the heatsinks, and check the solder work. But then again, the board works fine.......just cant find it in the utility..........................................

It sounds like the transmit side of the card is not working.

With only the bad card attahced to the PC, open the hardware utility and click "Auto Configure". If the following two facts are true then it is a transmit problem on the card:

1. The LED stops blinking when the hardware utility is open.

2. "Auto Configure" CANNOT find the LOR network.

IF the LED stops blinking then the card can receive data. If the "Auto Configure" cannot find the LOR network then the card cannot transmit (to let the PC know that it is on the network)...

U1, U2 and R1 are the only parts involvded in the transimission of data. Check the soldering on those parts. Also try swaping U1 with a known good one.

Dan

Dan......LED stops blinking when Utility is opened, Auto Config cannot find LOR network.........so I removed card from box, removed heatsinks and checked solder joints..........all looks fine, swaped U-1 chip w/known good one and board still not found..........Thanks, Mike

Mike Cole wrote:

Dan......LED stops blinking when Utility is opened, Auto Config cannot find LOR network.........so I removed card from box, removed heatsinks and checked solder joints..........all looks fine, swaped U-1 chip w/known good one and board still not found..........Thanks, Mike

You can always send the card in to:

Light O Rama Repairs

22 Hudsion Falls Rd / Unit 52

South Glens Fall NY 12803

Kits are repaired for free.

Most likely your card will work fine. It does not need two way com to work.

Dan

Mike Cole wrote:

You can always send the card in to:

Light O Rama Repairs

22 Hudson Falls Rd / Unit 52

South Glens Fall NY 12803

Kits are repaired for free.

Most likely your card will work fine. It does not need two way com to work.

Dan

Thanks Dan.......I think I will just use it as is for now, being it controls the lights OK. I'll make a note on the card to input the card # when I use the Hardware Utility.................Thanks, Mike