Light-O-Rama Forums

Network Topology and distance between controllers

lightningrod4life

So I'm trying to find out more information about the LOR Network topology and how controllers can be connected. I am not really new to the configuration of the controllers just trying to understand what can be done a little better. To my understanding the controllers have to be connected one after another but am wondering if you couldn't use some type of star topology configuration to connect them? As the communication between the controllers just passes the information from one controller to the next until it finds the correct one to send the commands to if im not mistaken? with that being said if the controllers are about 200 feet apart from each other (give or take a few feet) Is there any logical way to connect the controllers besides possibly wireless that helps make the network a little bit easier to manage when the controllers are so spread out? Also wondering what the max distance can be between controllers before a repeater might be needed? I know some or all of this information might be on the LOR site somewhere, just need direction on where and I'd love to read more on it just can't seem to find where it is located. Any information is greatly appreciated!

The RS485 network repeater shown here http://www.lightorama.com/Converters.html will allow a Y connection. There is also a USB RS485 adapter for your computer with two outputs. The only other possibility is the ELL's. I think you could have one transmitter and multiple receivers.

To my knowledge there is no hub device that would allow a star topology. An Ethernet Hub/Switch will NOT WORK and may damage your controllers.

Jerry

I think i've figured out part of the dilemma I was in, the other part is getting the ELL's to work. I have 2 , 1 as a transmitter 1 as a receiver and it is not wanting to work when I run the sequence editor. It works fine in the Hardware utility but the sequence editor it does not work, any idea why?

Sorry, I don't have any ELL's so I can't help there.

You might check the sequence editor to be sure that the control lights option is checked.

Have you tried putting the sequence in a show and running the show? Show on Demand is an easy way to do this.

Jerry

I think i've figured out part of the dilemma I was in, the other part is getting the ELL's to work. I have 2 , 1 as a transmitter 1 as a receiver and it is not wanting to work when I run the sequence editor. It works fine in the Hardware utility but the sequence editor it does not work, any idea why?

Have you gone into the HU (LOR RF) and actually set up the ELLs? Need to ensure they are on the same channel (frequency), power levels set properly, speeds match, etc.

Also, if you make any changes, be sure to save them to the ELL.

From there, set up one controller with an ELL, the other connected to your computer, and test at a short distance.

Edited by GaryM

Ive Done all of the above steps Gary, Have tried different distances between the ELL's, Changed frequencies , changed output power, changed the speeds, multiple times and it will not work, It works in the hardware utility but when I go to attempt to run it in the sequence editor I get nothing. None of the lights go solid on any of the controllers. When I take a Cat5 cable and plug it in, they respond without any issues, not sure what the problem its but it has to be some software setting somewhere is the only thing I can think of?

So just to clarify/confirm, you can connect an ELL to the USB adapter, the other ELL to a controller, and control lights using the HU? But nothing works when running via the sequence editor?

Are you able to eliminate the ELLs as a test and verify you can control lites in the sequence editor?

Whats your network speed set at in the sequence editor? Edit->preferences->network preferences (LOR tab). That would be the first thing I'd check.

Yes that is correct thats what was happening. I could connect a cable and run the sequence editor fine but everytime I connected the ELL's nothing would run. I fixed the issue though. Re-flashed the firmware for both ELL's and then reset the frequency, speed and power and it worked after that without a glitch. Some one of these steps fixed whatever the issue was. Thanks all for the advice! :)