Light-O-Rama Forums

Difference between Hobbyist version and Showtime version in Amps

smjosephrn

I was reading the FAQ's on the LOR support page and the Specs for the Showtime 16 channel controller states that no more than 8 amps/ channel and 15 amps/ board or 30 amps per controller. (with 2 feeder lines)

Whereas the Hobbyist version gives me 8amps/channel and 15 or 20 amps/board or 30/40 amps per controller (with 2 feeder lines standard lines or 20 amp lines)

I understand the difference in the amperage for the feeder lines. What I wonder is why this is not mentioned for the Showtime product. Is this product limited to 30amps regardless of the feeder lines?

I don't use the showtime products but I wonder if the amperage limits have something to do with the feeder lines or the enclosures. Maybe they are only rated at 30???

A standard 15amp plug is what most people have in their home. If Dan were to ship the controller with the 20amp plugs, he would have a nightmare to deal with, as most (again, most) people wouldn't have the correct outlet to plug into.

From what I recall, Dan has said this is/was the main factor in going with the 15amp on the Showtime.

From the LORWiki:
http://www.lorwiki.com/en/index.php/Hardware#CTB-16D

In order to obtain a full 40amps from this controller you need to do the following:

1. Install 12 gauge power cords
  2. Upgrade to ceramic, 20amp, fast acting fuses.

That's good to know. I have the 20 amp breakers for my Christmas lights, so if I find that I need the extra amperage, then I can make the recommended modifications and be good to go. I'll probably not really need to worry next year, If everything goes well this year I'll add on a bunch of channels and never get near those limits.

I believe Dan also said that you must use the 20 amp plug too, the one that has the blades like this (|-)

Grainger has a 20 amp cord with the standard plug. The cord is a monster to deal with. And as stated above, you need the 20 Amp service outlet and the fuse to compliment the cord.

Don wrote:

A standard 15amp plug is what most people have in their home. If Dan were to ship the controller with the 20amp plugs, he would have a nightmare to deal with, as most (again, most) people wouldn't have the correct outlet to plug into.

From what I recall, Dan has said this is/was the main factor in going with the 15amp on the Showtime.

From the LORWiki:
http://www.lorwiki.com/en/index.php/Hardware#CTB-16D

In order to obtain a full 40amps from this controller you need to do the following:

1. Install 12 gauge power cords
  2. Upgrade to ceramic, 20amp, fast acting fuses.

The new series of ShowTime boxes are different... Inside they have a cover plate with insulated fuse holders and and an on/off switch.

I do not recommend that you attempt to upgrade these units to 40 amps. It requires removeing the cover plate and swaping out a number of wires....

Dan

I could see that as a problem. That's okay, because as I am learning more about these things, I am realizing that I don't necessarily need to max out each LOR box. In fact, at I add more LOR boxes, I can essentially spread out the load and each subsequent box can handle less not more. But in turn my effects will become increasingly impressive.