Light-O-Rama Forums

What would cause a fast, constant shimmer on any/all channels?

Santas Helper

Hey guys,

I have a 16 channel commercial controller that when sequenced to come on at 100%, has a fast constant shimmer. I replaced the Cat5 cable and still does it. It's running thru the sequence right but when any or all channels light up, it's a fast constant shimmer. Fading up or down is fine. Just does it during full 100% on.

I'm running CDI LEDs on this controller. The controller is mounted to my metal mega tree tower with lights attached at the top of the tower. I have three other controllers hooked up in this fashion and all daisy chained and they seem fine. Did not do it last year.

And no, I don't have it sequenced to shimmer either. ;)

Does anyone have any ideas what might be causing this?

Thanks,

Tom

Okay,

After further review,

I purchased LEDs several years ago and think they are losing their snubber effect. I plugged in a different and newer set of LEDs "in series" with one strand for a test and the shimmer went away on the older LEDs.

I guess after time, or with this particular year of production, there were different snubber stuff in there and is starting to break down.

I had no problems the first few years with these but now I am.

Edited by Santas Helper

Guest wbottomley

I thought I had a communications problem as well. After connecting a set of mini lights to some of them, the problem went away. More to note... I noticed this problem existed on 16D boards and not 16PC ones.