Light-O-Rama Forums

First show experience

Brandon.n.h

My house is on a busy street, and because this is my first year I'm not really expecting a big turnout. Hopefully as the show expands people will stop by to see it though.

EvilMonkey- do you have enough lights to get listed in the Times Dispatch? If not, go to WWBT12's website after Thanksgiving and enter your info there. Like other's have said, be careful what you wish for!

I am a newbie at this. This will be my first year and my first show. I did a full test run last night and everything worked like it was supposed too. I have a ten minute break after 9 songs (sequences), but I think I will take it out of the show and just let the songs run. I only have 2 controllers this year, but plan on expanding for next year. The Queen is fine with this. She was impressed with the show, so it makes it easier on me to buy more controllers. As far as having a bunch of cars stopping, I don't care if they do or not. I enjoy building and watching the show myself. I already planning next years show.

I would like to thank everyone who helps us newbies get things working.

As far as having a bunch of cars stopping, I don't care if they do or not. I enjoy building and watching the show myself.

This! Five years into LOR now and the best times are when it's just the family and I enjoying the lights out front. Yeah I like to see others smile but when it's just us it's special.

Keep having fun! :)

I saw another show start up last night, the only other person around here for a long ways that does this. He's been doing this for several years and one thing I noticed, he had signs up for people to "Please Stay In Your Cars", which I think was a good idea. He said otherwise people would get out and try to walk around through his lights, wires, props and so on. I need to find or make some signs like those. My show starts tonight!

Edited by dgrant

Show is running now and looks nice. Lost one part of a string and one of my props quit so a little troubleshooting to do in the morning. All comments so far were really nice. Lots of cars slowing down and some stopping to listen on their radios. It got too cold to stand out there and watch so back inside trying to warm up.

If you build it they will come. I was at work 90% of the time my show was on last year, my neighbors on the other hand are retired (town house) They would sit out front for the whole show and harass passer by's into hanging out. More than 3 times a week Id get home to a retired tail gate party in front of my house. That was only 32 channels. If you build it they will come, if you promote yourself in ways that promote them to stick around more will stop. Go buy a million candy canes and thank people as they drive up, you would be surprised what a candy cane can do to the Christmas Spirit.

• The topic was locked