Light-O-Rama Forums

First show experience

Brandon.n.h

Two nights ago my first LOR show had started. I had people slow down a bit to see what was going on, but no one has actually stopped to tune in. I understand its not thanksgiving yet and hope that afterwards people will be more interested as well as word of mouth. What was your first show like? Were your first few days/weeks slow?

Two nights ago my first LOR show had started. I had people slow down a bit to see what was going on, but no one has actually stopped to tune in. I understand its not thanksgiving yet and hope that afterwards people will be more interested as well as word of mouth. What was your first show like? Were your first few days/weeks slow?

Chaos, police every night working on traffic. Sold the show after the first year. Be careful what you wish for.

It's still early in the season so I wouldn't get upset about people not stopping. My first year was slow (which in my opinion is good... sort of eases the neighbors into it). A few will stop. Once one stops more will stop. Word of mouth will build the traffic. The nice part of slow traffic now is thakt you have no competition for viewing space when you go out to look at it!

First couple years, things were slow, and I felt a lot like you do now. Now in its 7th year, we have to bring in outside help for traffic control. Your pretty early for start up, typicaly we see most of our traffic the last 2 week ends before Christmas. Use this time to tweak your sequences, maybe start a new one, and work on next years layout. If this is your first year, it just gets bigger and better in the future. Enjoy it now, you'll be so busy with traffic that you won't get to enjoy your own show later on

The people that slow down as they drive by usually come back with a car full of kids as it gets closer to Christmas. Don't get discouraged. It'll pick up.

Yeah, same for me. This is my first year and not sure what to expect. One other home a couple of miles away does this and they've got cars backed up for a good mile or so. Since very few know about mine, I doubt this first year will be much. Next week, one week from today is my official light up. I've got a sign posted out there inviting everyone for it. Now I'll be the fool if no one shows up but oh well....I am considering handing out candy canes to the kids and possible hot chocolate or cider to the adults.

I too have a house that backs up against a busy street. I have a banner on the back side of my fence facing the street and it even has a light on it that comes on at night so people can see it. My first year I talked to a few people that stopped by and it seemed most people were from within the neighborhood that happened to see it as they drove by on the way to their own house.

Last year was my second year and we started getting more people that had heard about our place from californiachristmaslights.com as well as a listing in our local city lights display section on their website. The first two years I started the display Thanksgiving weekend and hardly got anyone stopping at all that week. However, last year, the week before Christmas, there was never less than six cars at a time out there. This year should be even better.

I am not going to bother with starting the weekend after Thanksgiving this year and will instead finish set up that weekend and test it out a few times the week after before going live December 1st.

Make sure your radio station sign is well posted so they understand to turn on the radio. The first year I did this I had neighboors asking me why my lights flashed so funny. NOW, they understand. I have one lighted radio sign and about 4 others placed so they can tune in before they acutally get here.

Had some family with a friend stop over last night, so I ran one sequence for them. People driving by stopped in the middle of the street and others went past and turned around, coming back and stopping! Cool :)

Last year was my first year. First couple of weeks it was pretty slow, one or two cars every half hour or so. Then it picks up. I live on a small street and it started to get crazy as it got closer to Christmas. Had as many as 6 cars at once. That's all my tiny street can handle.

This being my second year, I'm thinking that word has gotten out. Be careful what you wish for and whatever you do, don't advertise. Things will spiral outta control and your neighbors will turn on you. Word of mouth will bring more visitors.

My current show is an hour and a half long ran continuously. If things start to get crazy, I have multiple shows broken up into 15 minute segments.