Light-O-Rama Forums

Can't find controller

edepinet

I recently purchased a CTB16PC Contoller. Put it together and everything worked fine. Utilities Hardware found the controller, everything worked. Took controller outside and daisy chained the controller and couldn't find that controller. Unit # is 7 and it searches up to 15. Took controller back in the house and it worked fine. Took outside again, couldn't find the unit. I have changed CAT5 cables and everything. Now it will not work at the computer either. Any ideas what could be the problem? Thanks for any help.

If it's not working at the computer, then you may have two LOR programs open at once. For example, the Hardware Utility (HWU) the Sequence Editor (SE.) Make sure you have only one of them open at a time. Bring a known working controller into the house and connect there. That will rule out a problem at the computer.

Now take your known working controller and put it back outside. Take your problem controller and hook it up to the computer. Since you've verified the computer portion with a known working controller, this controller should now be found.

Take your problem controller outside and hook it up as the first controller in your daisy chain. Meaning after the USB485 this problem controller is next, just outside. If it doesn't work there, then you would have a cable problem. However, since I think other controllers are working (based on what you posted) I don't think that's the case.

Take the problem controller from the first position and move it to the controller you normally connect it to. If you normally connect #7 to #6, go to #6 and put the controller there. See if you can still find the controller.

If you found the controller, put it back in it's normal spot and try to find it again. If you can't find the controller then it's possible that you actually have a problem with #6 (using my example above).

Sent the topic to LOR. They had me reset the controller and it will not find controller. Tried changing CAT5, hooking up direct, and nothing works. Thanks for the reply. I think it is in the controller. Thanks again.

This may not be your solution, but I had a similiar problem. Intermittantly would not find controller. Found an usoldered resister pack(oops)(next to 8 pin dip chip, next to cat 5 connector); soldered it, and now works fine.

Is there a big temperature difference between inside your house and the outside; again, maybe bad or poor solder connection.

Advanced. I think it is the controller that it is piggytailing off is bad. The cat5 connector that you plug into on the other controller might be what is bad. Did some switching around and the controller was found. Hopefully that is the problem. Merry Christmas. Thanks for the advise.