Light-O-Rama Forums

Hardware Problems - Just Damn

Guest Guest

Guest wbottomley

It's shaping up to be one of those years. I discovered one controller had a bad triac. I'd planned to work around it until a second one went tango uniform. Now I have to take it out and replace both of them. And yes! Both are on the opposite sides.

Then, one unit I couldn't find. The rotary dials will not set the ID address. My work-around for it will be setting it via the hardware utility. If the power goes out, I'll have to reset it once again. &^%$

Finally to wrap the day up, I discovered another problem - unit not responding. I go out to open it up... lo' and behold, here's the problem. Another damn unit to repair.

phoca_thumb_l_imag0555.jpg

This was not a kit. It was pre-assembled by LOR.

Time to file some tickets so the parts can be here next week.

Holy crap, first time I've ever seen that happen.

You know, as many issues I've heard people say about the unit dials, I'm glad most of my controllers have software-only setting of the unit.

I mostly have those type of controllers where the ID is set by software as well. But, I have a few older 16D's with rotary dials.

Same here, and also a CMB-16D. I don't ever change the UnitID's on them though, so I hope they stay put.

Then, one unit I couldn't find. The rotary dials will not set the ID address. My work-around for it will be setting it via the hardware utility. If the power goes out, I'll have to reset it once again. &^%$

Hopefully it's just the comm chip on this one. I had a similar issue a couple years ago and thanks the Jeff M. and Dan it was good as new in no time.

And I can't believe that transformer fell off like that! Did someone smash it on the ground maybe?

Good luck on a speedy recovery?

Edited by Jeffrey

Yeah, those dials get oxidized or something. Seems to happen reasonably frequently... Could you find the unit at any address?

Jeff... thanks for the help. It's not a comm chip issue. I swap one from another unit... same results.

Bummer... there goes quick and easy then.

Tim, Oxide will slowly push its way between wiper and contacts. Only answer is to get some form of no-ox grease into the switch body. This would make a o2 and moisture tight seal. Thankfully I have only two DC boards with the switches. All of the AC controllers are of the PC types.

Sometimes you can get the switches cleaned up just by giving them a couple spins around the dial. I’ve had to do this a couple times on new controllers fresh out of the box (including one last night).

Guest wbottomley

Good news to report. LOR will be replacing the damaged controller where the transformer fell off and sending triacs for the other unit. As far the rotary dials, I've done everything possible to make it work. No big deal... I'll give it a second look after the light show gets started.

I've done everything possible to make it work. No big deal... I'll give it a second look after the light show gets started.

Have you tried electrical contact cleaner? It comes in a spray can and has a straw similar to WD-40, you can just soak the part (with the power off), and it will evaporate within a minute or so. I've rescued some really flaky switches and such with the stuff.

LPS is one brand...

Guest Don Gillespie

Good news to report. LOR will be replacing the damaged controller where the transformer fell off and sending triacs for the other unit. As far the rotary dials, I've done everything possible to make it work. No big deal... I'll give it a second look after the light show gets started.

Glad you will be up and running William and how about that service time pretty cotton picking quick if you ask me.

Guest wbottomley

Glad you will be up and running William and how about that service time pretty cotton picking quick if you ask me.

You got that right. All I wanted to do is get a replacement transformer. But now, they are sending a complete card. Customer service at it's best.

Guest wbottomley

And it gets better....

The unit with bad triacs, nope. They are good. Here's the support ticket I submitted tonight. This board has a mind of its own.

This is in reference to the other ticket about the controller and triacs. The triacs are suppose to be for my board #25.

After further testing tonight, they are fine and respond to commands. So here's the problem. I have three channels that come on at random but will respond fully to commands. To me, it sounds like a communication issue. I removed the data cables, reset, reconnected the power and still the same problem. I made sure all standalone sequences have been eliminated, firmware reloaded twice, still the problem persists. I swapped out comm chips and even microchips, still the same problem.

The problem channels are 4, 5, 14. When I disconnected power to the left side of the board, channels 4 & 5 remained on. I check for any type of bug or something on the back of the board and could not see anything making connection.

So... this sucker is haunted, period!

Guest wbottomley

Almost.

Wait a minute. I believe so. :lol:

After filing a ticket, I get the Chuck Smith run around.

You can always send the controller to us to analyze... or order another. Getting a something to you by Friday could be tough.

You might try swapping the controller with another in your system. If it's number 25, swap it with unit 01 and see if the problem moves.

Apparently, that was not the case on Monday because I'm getting it tomorrow.

I asked Dan for some help.

Edited by wbottomley