Light-O-Rama Forums

Can a Network Repeater work with the Easy Light Linker?

colonel

I have a daisy chain of controllers about 1000' from pc to the last controller. I can get to all within 600' but the last ones do not connect. All have Linkers. In the last connected controller I put a lor network repeater with a Linker plugged into it. I am still not getting signal to the far controllers. Will it do it or do I neet to string cable?

I have a daisy chain of controllers about 1000' from pc to the last controller. I can get to all within 600' but the last ones do not connect. All have Linkers. In the last connected controller I put a lor network repeater with a Linker plugged into it. I am still not getting signal to the far controllers. Will it do it or do I neet to string cable?

Boy colonel, I am confused by your discription of your network. Is your network wired or as you say "All have Linkers." So which is it? Wired with Cat5 cable or do you have a linker on each controller? The repeater would be best used on a wired network. I dont think putting a repeater between the controller and a linker will do you any good.

If you are using the RF linkers. Then make sure you can actually see the antennas from both locations. No bushes or walls can block the signals.

Yes confusing. I have groups of controllers spread over 13 acres. Each group is connected with Linkers. Everyone is connected within a 600' radius. I have a group at 1000' that I want to connect. I have a group with a Linker and a network repeater within 500' of the far group but am unable to get a connection with linkers. I will try moving them closer in the morning but just wanted to check if it is even possible to relay to 1000' with linkers.

Ok so it is mixed. You have a group over here and a group over there and another group further away. Each group has a linker at the first controller. Now one of the groups is further out and you are having troubles with the communications to that group. Again the repeater is to be used on a really long wired network. lets say that a wired network has a total of 4000' of cable. Yet seems that none of the controllers past 3000' are responding. In that case I would put a repeater on the last controller before the 3000' mark. Might even go back to the controller before that even.

Now in the case of your linkers. For some reason the signal is to weak to the last linker out at the controller. The repeater is only going to amplify the RS-485 signal on the wire. It will not do anything for a weak RF signal. I really do not know what range the linkers are suppose to do. But making sure that you have a line of sight between the one out at the remote controller and the one close to the computer or mini director.

What does the manual say that the max range is, under idea conditions?

I believe the answer to my question is no. And the network repeater only works with cabling. With a clear path to the last good linker hooked to a repeater, I started moving the controller closer. I got to about 300' and started getting an intermittent signal. I get 600' or so with all the other linkers so I believe I was connecting to the linker hooked to the PC. Anyway it would increase our extension cord lengths that close (we are already close to 5 miles). We've used cat5 and some rj-11in the past years and have spools of it on hand due to the deer tromping it and big foot tripping over it and ripping it apart.<g I gave it a try anyway.

How high up is your sending ELL. I have had great results when my sending ELL is up high and my receiving is down low with little cat5. And also what ch do you have your ELL's on?

You can do a dual wireless link setup on 2 different channels. You have your master ELL on your computer going out to your islands. On the island closest to the far (dead) one you have an ELL on the computer's ELL channel, then at the end of that wired line of controllers your put a second ELL on a different channel as a wireless repeater (do not put it on a channel adjacent to the master ELL one - put a few blanks in between). At the far island you set the ELL to the channel on the "wireless repeater" channel. It now will get a stronger signal as the transmit ELL is much closer. But you will need an extra ELL to do the hop.

How high up is your sending ELL. I have had great results when my sending ELL is up high and my receiving is down low with little cat5. And also what ch do you have your ELL's on?

The PC Linker terrain-wise sits about 20' higher than the rest. On the far linker, we had it as high as 10' with no connection. The Ell is probably at its defaults or hasn't been changed in a few years. It is chn 16 57000, and 15dBm. Anyway, I gave up and ran some cat5 to it.

Mine are on 00. And I send from 4 feet above my roof. I can get about 600 feet.

How much cat 5 do you have dangling? I cut and crimp mine down to the bare min.

I

Edited by columbus27

Mine are on 00. And I send from 4 feet above my roof. I can get about 600 feet.

How much cat 5 do you have dangling? I cut and crimp mine down to the bare min.

I

I too get at about 600'. One foot more and I loose it, back one foot and I get it. I've just used the green cat cable that comes with the Ell, maybe 10'?

You can do a dual wireless link setup on 2 different channels. You have your master ELL on your computer going out to your islands. On the island closest to the far (dead) one you have an ELL on the computer's ELL channel, then at the end of that wired line of controllers your put a second ELL on a different channel as a wireless repeater (do not put it on a channel adjacent to the master ELL one - put a few blanks in between). At the far island you set the ELL to the channel on the "wireless repeater" channel. It now will get a stronger signal as the transmit ELL is much closer. But you will need an extra ELL to do the hop.

Great information. This is what I was looking for. I'll order another Ell and if I have time try it. Got the cat cable run already. Thanks!

Seed page 11 of the ELL manual for this configuration.