Light-O-Rama Forums

Is it too last to ask for items on LOR II ?

Guest guest

After working on a sequence for 2 hours and deep into it, I had forgotten to hit the save button. As everyone knows what happened next. The electricity went off and I lost 2 hours of work. Can the new program throw up a reminder asking if you want to save program....say every 30 minutes. This would help great with one track minds like myself.

Been there done that!!

Better yet... Have an auto save feature like some spread sheet programs have where you can go in and set the frequency (minutes between) of the auto save.

OR... have a recovery file system as some programs have when the computer shuts off unexpectedly.

Ken

Ok, I do not know what yall know about Auto-CADD ( Auto Disk ). But Auto-CADD, as this thing where if the power is loss or the system crashes/frezzes.

It as a restore/recover thing for the work you have done.

Baseicly, i think it auto-saves the work every few minutes to a temp file for recovery, in-case of bad luck.

BadSCR,

Most MS Office apps have the same feature.

It's also handy if you make a mistake and want to roll back to the way the file was before you changed it.

I actually save my sequences in a version control system so I can retrieve them at various stages of their development. But I'm weird like that. ;)

AutoCAD by Autodesk.
It uses a temp file, it also creates a backup of the original upon opening of an existing file.

But an autosave feature in LOR would be nice. It should just save in the background to a temp file name. The save setting time would be a user configurable setting. The autosave directory could be user configurable as well.

Rusty

Adobe Audition, an audio edition program (formerly CoolEdit), has a similar feature that upon a restart of the program, after a crash or unsaved shutdown, will offer the option to restart where you left off before the program termination. This has been a lifesaver on more than one occasion of forgetting to save at regular intervals.

As was mentioned, Microsoft Word also has a recover feature that has save many hours of retyping a ‘lost’ document or file. I have never been unfortunate enough to have lost some LOR sequencing, but I know the feeling of having hours of time and creativity lost in the blink of the power grid.

• 4 weeks later...

Just my two cents here... If you are going to impliment auto-save, I hope that it is configurable, and not "always on". I like to take a sequence, and then make a lot of changes to it, just to see if I like the new look. If it looks good, then I save it. If I don't like the new look, I simply close the file and re-open it. If autosave is turned on, I lose the ability to make on the fly adjustments without having to make a backup of my original sequence.

D.T.

*Fixed type-os

You could always give it a new name; that way, it wouldn't replace your original sequence until you were happy with it.

Denny wrote:

You could always give it a new name; that way, it wouldn't replace your original sequence until you were happy with it.

Denny,

As I said, "If autosave is turned on, I lose the ability to make on the fly adjustments without having to make a backup of my original sequence." In my experience (and I have 27 years of DP/IS/IT experience), autosave causes more problems than it prevents. There are VERY few instances when you lose power (in my neighborhood, anyway) while editing anything of any consequence (and if power does fail in the middle of something that you've worked on for more than 5 minutes without saving, then shame on you). On the other hand (and this is a problem for those of us where the time stamp on a file is important) there are many times when you need to open a file for just a minute or two to reference something. Should you happen to leave that document open for long enough, autosave executes the save, and changes your timestamp information. Or, an even worse thing happens. You make changes (accidentally or on purpose) to the original document, and it autosaves. Now, your original, good document has been changed AND the timestamp info is gone. Now you're hosed if you depend on that kind of information.

Back to my point, if LOR intends to implement autosave, I hope that it can be turned off with a bit flip.

D.T.

Sorry for the rant, but I really hate when software is "smartened up" (dumbed down) to try to guess what I am thinking. I am more than capable of clicking the save button at the appropriate time to save my work.

Dave "Give me DOS or give me death" Town

Ahh so, now I understand and thanks for the explanation. Handy information to know and to be aware of.

• 6 months later...

bumping this up and wondering if there will be a configurable (on/off - 5/10/15minute) autosave feature in any fore-seeable furture releases of LOR II

I understand what you are saying about making changes on the fly and then discarding them if you don't like them, that's why the "Autosave" feature should save it to a backup file and not to the orginal file.

kzaas wrote:

I understand what you are saying about making changes on the fly and then discarding them if you don't like them, that's why the "Autosave" feature should save it to a backup file and not to the orginal file.

There will be an autosave option around mid year. It will be configurable and can be turned off completely or auto save every configurable time frame. The Autosave will be to a temp file that is destroyed when you do a real save or decide not to save when you close a file. When the Sequence Editor is started, if there is a temp file(s) it will ask you if you want to recover.

I do not like the idea of saving changes unless specifically requested to do so by the user so I think the temp (recovery) file will serve the purpose of protecting against failures while giving the user maximum flexability.