Light-O-Rama Forums

max length of cat5

Gman7711

I tried searching and could not find am answer. What is the max length of a LOR network with cat5 cable? Max between controllers? Max total away from computer? I have the standard usb adaptor. I want to go 50' to my first controller, then 100' to the next, then 25' to the last, all on one network daisy chained together.

Guest wbottomley

I tried searching and could not find am answer. What is the max length of a LOR network with cat5 cable? Max between controllers? Max total away from computer? I have the standard usb adaptor. I want to go 50' to my first controller, then 100' to the next, then 25' to the last, all on one network daisy chained together.

First question. How many controllers do you have?

And.. here's your answer.

Edited by wbottomley

There are folks here who have 50-100+ controllers with a network much longer than that.

You'll be fine.

The bigger question I would ask here is, are you making the cable yourself and if so are you using stranded cable or solid? Cat5 or Cat 5e or 6? Also have to consider what speeds you are looking for it to connect at, I have not checked to see what speed the lor boards are rated at, if they can handle 100mbps.

Here is a standard certifiable answer:

For Solid UTP:

Fast Ethernet 100baseT 100 Meters (328 feet)

Twisted Pair Ethernet 10baseT 100 Meters (328 feet)

Recommended maximum lengths for Patch Cables made from stranded cable:

Fast Ethernet 100baseT 10 Meters (33 feet)

Twisted Pair Ethernet 10baseT 10 Meters (33 feet)

The bigger question I would ask here is, are you making the cable yourself and if so are you using stranded cable or solid? Cat5 or Cat 5e or 6? Also have to consider what speeds you are looking for it to connect at, I have not checked to see what speed the lor boards are rated at, if they can handle 100mbps.

Here is a standard certifiable answer:

For Solid UTP:

Fast Ethernet 100baseT 100 Meters (328 feet)

Twisted Pair Ethernet 10baseT 100 Meters (328 feet)

Recommended maximum lengths for Patch Cables made from stranded cable:

Fast Ethernet 100baseT 10 Meters (33 feet)

Twisted Pair Ethernet 10baseT 10 Meters (33 feet)

The LOR network does not use ethernet. It uses a much slower RS485 network which is designed for non-ideal conditions. You can go MUCH further with an LOR network than 328 feet.

Of course, if you're talking about an E1.31 network which *is* ethernet, that's totally different (but not what was asked by the OP)

Todd, it appears you have not seen me repeatedly state THIS IS NOT ETHERNET, BUT RS-485. RS-485 White papers state a max cable length of 4000' in idea conditions. But then too, with the use of a repeater you can go another 4000'. As Tim pointed out, if your using E1.31 then the 100 meters rule is in effect.

People Cat5 or5e or 6 defines the number of CONDUCTORS, the jacket thickness and what it is made up from. The twist rate of each pair and if there is any kind of separator that keeps the wires in a certain relationship to each other. Also things like impedance and inductive and capassive coupling. It does not define the protocol such as RS-485 or Ethernet (English vs Greek).

Oh and by the way. RS-485 speeds are in part limited by the fact that this is a serial signal. Not real sure what the top speed of RS-485 is but thinking I have seen 192Kbps. But I am thinking and hope someone who does know will comment. But thinking LOR is like 56Kbps. So, we are a long long ways away from 10Mbps.

Todd, it appears you have not seen me repeatedly state THIS IS NOT ETHERNET, BUT RS-485. RS-485 White papers state a max cable length of 4000' in idea conditions. But then too, with the use of a repeater you can go another 4000'. As Tim pointed out, if your using E1.31 then the 100 meters rule is in effect.

People Cat5 or5e or 6 defines the number of CONDUCTORS, the jacket thickness and what it is made up from. The twist rate of each pair and if there is any kind of separator that keeps the wires in a certain relationship to each other. Also things like impedance and inductive and capassive coupling. It does not define the protocol such as RS-485 or Ethernet (English vs Greek).

Oh and by the way. RS-485 speeds are in part limited by the fact that this is a serial signal. Not real sure what the top speed of RS-485 is but thinking I have seen 192Kbps. But I am thinking and hope someone who does know will comment. But thinking LOR is like 56Kbps. So, we are a long long ways away from 10Mbps.

Max, what was that? is LOR an ETHERNET? :P

I am sure I did read that when I was trolling a few years back but clearly slipped my thoughts. Sorry If I caused any confusion...just got networking on the brain, just got 3 new Dell PowerEdge R620 servers today. :) again sorry to the OP if I confused you, was not my intent.

No LOR is not, but it appears your servers are. ;) The Caps where more for the newbies. The use of a CatXx cable does wonders for confusing people from time to time. Nothing like setting up new servers. Lots of stuff to keep on the top of your mind and one slip up can cause problems that might run you around in circles till you come back to that one setting. Good luck with the install. :blink:

The use of a CatXx cable does wonders for confusing people from time to time.

It doen't help that I have Cat5 in the yard for: 1) LOR network 2) DMX network 3) E1.31 (Ethernet) 4) Post-DC-controller to RGB device connections.

That's 4 different things that I"m using the same type of cable for. I've been doing this for years and even I have to scratch my head about which wire is what sometimes! :)

RS-485 can certainly go faster than LOR is pushing it BUT in going faster it limits the cable length. They want a reliable, resiliant communication network.

The DMX protocol runs over RS-485 connections at 250Kb for hundreds of feet. CANbus (think Automotive/Truck OBDI) runs over RS-485 at 500Kb and 2Mb - both limited to less than 100'. I have also worked on some internal aircraft systems communicating over CANbus at 10Mb and I am told they can exceed 30Mb - but then your entire display would have to fit in an area the size of a 5' desktop.

• Like 1

If I'm not mistaken, I should be able to use Cat6 mixed in with Cat5 cables as well? I just found a good price on 100' Cat6 cable that is lower than Monoprice.com's Cat5 after shipping.