Light-O-Rama Forums

test run-hee hee

paralegalnc

did a test tonight of the show...we got everything in the right channels... had to tweak a couple things...got to finish dressing a tree...but all in all it was cool. We actually had a car STOP! we told them it was just a test but had them turn the radio to the channel we picked...it works... it was a car full of adults and they were like "ohhh look at that...ohhh look over there... did you see that...look at the star" couldn't help but smile. They said it was beautiful and would be back to see it completed! I'd call that a success! :D

• Like 2

it was cool.... one lady stopped earlier while we were hanging lights and said she can't wait. She said she loves our yard every year. Last two years we had the Mr. Christmas. we told her what we were doing and she said not to tell her...she wanted to be surprised. We told her how many lights we had this year and she said "no wonder you're starting early".... I'm just glad that everyone doesn't think we're crazy....LOL.

• Like 3

I just started putting mine up yesterday. Spent all day on the megatree only to get the 2nd layer wrong so this morning, out there I was taking that layer back off and doing it again! Got the megatree done along with its topper and the strobes on it. Also put up the arches and the one CCR that I'm doing an arch on as well. Just powered up all the controllers and sure enough, the computer sees them all. Its still daytime here so I'll test out these items later on this evening. Tired for today. Will continue the rest tomorrow. I've got three weeks till first light up. Kids in the neighborhood are checking it out and people are slowing down to see what I'm working on.

we didn't do spirals or anything... just did wedges in multi..built it out back...then moved it when we were ready for it. But good luck. I just waved at people when we started. We have had 4 people stop and say they can't wait until it goes on....

did a second test run tonight after fixing a few things prop wise. Got a couple things to fix still... OCD kicking in.... but the newspaper is coming on Monday.... so.....

but the newspaper is coming on Monday.... so.....

uh oh.. you've got a plan for real traffic management?? :ph34r: I've had neighbors say they want to call the tv and radio stations to tell them abt our display, but I politely decline saying I value my neighbors too much to put them thru that. You've heard the stories Kevin (Cracker) went thru with his display.. You probably wont have 2000 cars a night, but you could. Word of mouth advertising is the best.. maybe notices to local friends on FB..

I wish you luck on this, and hope you dont get overrun with visitors!! :)

who is Kevin (cracker)? We live on a nice thru road... and there are two doctors offices two doors up so I am going to see if we can use that for show parking. I don't think they'd care after 5pm... but I want to have signs pointing there so I think it would be polite to ask :) This is a charity fundraiser light show...so yeah I want as many cars as possible!

Kevin Judd, did the original ropelight talking faces.. KIA commercial by LMFAO in front of his house..

The thru road wont likely be thru with people stopped on the street to watch.. hope it works out..

Kevin Judd, did the original ropelight talking faces.. KIA commercial by LMFAO in front of his house..

The thru road wont likely be thru with people stopped on the street to watch.. hope it works out..

I guess I don't get it.... he had alot of people? someone mess with his display.? what...?

OMG what a shame! I watched it. That was cool as hell! Thats the exact reason why I won't live where there is an HOA. passed up many houses because of it. Let's hope it doesn't happen, it is for charity.

I'm only halfway done setting up so far and tired already. Most of the front yard is done so a couple more bushes to do then onto the roof and eves.

I'm now about %70 done setting up. I was outside last night with the laptop, testing infividual circuits and lots of people were slowing downing just to see that alone. One family stopped, so I lit up the megatree for them...the kids were oohing and wowing. Well, today is add another net string to a bush, then its onto the roof. The front yard now has 25 christmas trees and all but two are controlled. Yes, candy canes, deers, snowman and more are out there as well. Little over two weeks till first light-up!

Its alive!!! I ran several sequences here tonight and looks nice to me :) Still have three props to put lights on and connect but otherwise, its ready to run. Took a week to put it all up and the best part, no circuit breakers popped! Running 96 channels this first year and no clue how many lights but its a lot. The best item is the megatree, 16 channels spiraled one direction and 16 more channels spiraled the opposite direction...looked beautiful.

Well, adding to my learning experience here so other newbies will learn as well from my mistakes....lessons learned as such. When I mounted the controllers, I neglected to pay close enough attention to the addresses of which controllers went where on three of the six controllers. Anyway, the three were in swapped around locations. I saw something wrong on one of the tunes that I tested last night as the lights didn't respond as they should have. Today I discovered the addressing issue of my own doing. Rather than move the controllers physically, I elected to just change the addresses and all tested normally just now. I'll test the actual sequence for effects tonight when its dark enough to see it run.

I start mine this weekend, two mega tree's, four "mega-mini's", firesticks, and an assortment of other items. looking forward and dreading all at once.