Light-O-Rama Forums

pc boards

Guest guest

should the female connectors be insulated or non insulated what do you think and what size should the female connectors be and where can you get them cheap thank you Blair

I used 1/4" fully insulated Buchanan connectors that I picked up at Home Depot. A package of 100 was about $3.50. I also bought a crimper to go along with it that was an additional $8.00 or so.

You can see the connectors here:

http://www.idealindustries.com/wt/CrimpTerminalsSplices.nsf

Click on the female disconnects and scroll down to the bottom to see the fully insulated ones. The tab size you need is 1/4" (.025") and then you select the connector by the size of the wire you are using. In my case, it was the 16-14 AWG (wire gage range). They were the light blue ones.

I had a bunch of 6 foot outdoor extension cords that I used. I cut off the male ends, stripped off the insulation, stripped the wires and crimped on the connectors. It was easier than I thought it would be. I had the 16 I needed done in about 20 minutes.

I also bought and used insulated ring terminals for the grounds since I was using 3-conductor cord.

Derrickb thank you for the information Blair

Just came back from Home Depot here in Sydney( Canada) THE cost for 4 connectors is$ 2.00 the cost of a crimper is $ 33.00

derrickb wrote:

I used 1/4" fully insulated Buchanan connectors that I picked up at Home Depot. A package of 100 was about $3.50. I also bought a crimper to go along with it that was an additional $8.00 or so.

You can see the connectors here:

http://www.idealindustries.com/wt/CrimpTerminalsSplices.nsf

Click on the female disconnects and scroll down to the bottom to see the fully insulated ones. The tab size you need is 1/4" (.025") and then you select the connector by the size of the wire you are using. In my case, it was the 16-14 AWG (wire gage range). They were the light blue ones.

I had a bunch of 6 foot outdoor extension cords that I used. I cut off the male ends, stripped off the insulation, stripped the wires and crimped on the connectors. It was easier than I thought it would be. I had the 16 I needed done in about 20 minutes.

I also bought and used insulated ring terminals for the grounds since I was using 3-conductor cord.

A pack of 100 for $3.50...that seems like a good deal. I hope that is a universal price at all the Home Depots. I will check it out today.

When you purchase the connectors from LOR directly (meaning the outlet male and female strands) the ends are not insulated. I don't know if that will help you out with the price at all Blair, but I don't think they have to be. Could be wrong though.

Greg