Light-O-Rama Forums

its official I hate vampire plugs

djg64

Whether you use SPT-1 or SPT-2 wire, plugs or combine them, I learned it's easier to test the extension cord right after you make one before you plug in the light(s). It stinks to wait until later and search why your light(s) won't work.

ok had the wife pick up another roll of wire from one of the Hardware stores I found that the wire I had before had more insulation on it than the roll my wife picked up... I went thru the whole roll with out a single prob live and learn will check it more carefully next time I get more

Vampire plugs and SPT/lamp/zip cord is the best thing a decorator can have, period!

And a hot glue gun !!!

AND ZIP TIES!!!!!!!

This is my first year making cords with SPT-2 and I had my first couple cords that did not work. Upon further review, I noticed the plug teeth were piercing towards the center of the wire. I use a pair of pliers and "moved" it back towards the outside edge, and they worked fine. I then started testing every cord after that with no issues.

Just my opinion, but...

SPT-2 is way overkill for display purposes. Just use SPT-1. It's lighter, stores easier, and is much easier to work with regarding "vampire plugs". Plus it's probably cheaper.

Just my opinion, but...

SPT-2 is way overkill for display purposes. Just use SPT-1. It's lighter, stores easier, and is much easier to work with regarding "vampire plugs". Plus it's probably cheaper.

a wise person told me this right off (wbottomley) saved me money!

Glad to hear SPT-1 is just as good for our purposes - I've mainly been doing SPT-1 just to save money.

I tend to think that buying the plugs from the same place as the wire is extra insurance - because the seller doesn't want the hassle of extra customer service calls or return requests. So I try to buy in batches from the same vendor.

Now interesting here in these posts was the link by Mike C. http://www.johnsonsc....com/Cords.html (THANK YOU) I didn't know about the feature to keep the wires seperated in the plug!!! When I was making my cords, I thought shorting could be a problem, but I did not use that feature. Instead, I made sure the cut was good, clean, and straight, and then I pulled on the insulation a bit so that the copper sinks deeper in to the insulation. I know it could creep back, but I thought maybe with the immediate installation in to the plug, the vampire teeth would anchor the relationship of the insulation to the copper.

I suppose in time the GFCI will let me know if I am wrong..... Thank you again everyone for the feedback, images, and knowledge! And I agree wtih wbottomley - "Vampire plugs and SPT/lamp/zip cord is the best thing a decorator can have, period! " I'm definitely a fan!!!