Light-O-Rama Forums

its official I hate vampire plugs

djg64

I also had problems with spt2 wire. I had to use a sharp knife and take out a little piece of rubber out before putting on the plugs. Problems solved.

I just used 2000ft of SPT-1 wire with vampire plugs and had ZERO failures or challenges. I became a huge fan.

But your experience concerns me. Sorry to hear you are having challenges. I wonder if SPT-2 wire and connectors are that different? It looked like the amperage ratings were the same on the web page I purchased from, so I wonder what the advantage/disadvantage of one over the other is right now.

So far, I would guess SPT-1 is easier to work with vampire plugs???

Interested in hearing from everyone - an with those valuable hints/tips/tricks too!

• Like 1

I've noticed the SPT-2 wire from HD is just a little thicker than what I bought from Christmas Light Show. I have noticed that different vendors that sell vampire plugs, some have a little less room in the slot where the wire fits. A pair of channel locks and a little extra persuasion helps. Just be careful and not mess up the insulation.

I am kind of new to using vampire plugs and sockets. And I couldnt tell you a SPT1 to SPT2 plug or socket. I do know that I can use either wire in the plugs and sockets. I have to force the SPT2 wire into the back. But here is my secret. I use what we call punkin pliers to push the wire into the back before sliding the back cover on. Any tool that you have that can push it in. My pliers allow me to sort of roll it in. This helps insure that the spikes punctures the jacket and make contact with the wire below.

as i work for one of the larger home centers let me add this we sell wire that is marked as spt 1 and 2 as it may be in wire gage sizes but the insulation is for use in gardens and landscaping it never was intended for use with vampire plugs also if you are using the cheaper vampire plugs in cold weather the rubber in the wires insulation is cold and will resist the prongs keep the wire warm when making up cords and don t cut penny's when buying plugs it will cost you in the end also the prongs in cheap plugs will bend and not make contact even in warm weather( name of employer withheld on purpose )

I've been making spt 1 (and this year I added spt 2 from wlc also) cords for the last five years, and out of about 450 cords I've only had three or four failures. In every single instance the vampire tip had gotten bent over.

YMMV, but in my experience, spt 1 seems to be pretty standard stuff, regardless of where purchased. Spt 2 varies quite a bit in insulation thickness, so you definitely want to use vampire plugs from the same source as the wire wherever possible. And Sparky's absolutely right - keep the cords warm.

• Like 1

I found a useful website on making extension cords the other day.

http://www.johnsonsc....com/Cords.html

Really helped Alot so far I've made 6 and 3 tested fine.

I bought my spt-1 cable from

http://www.christmas...-1000-feet.html

And My vamp plugs from HD.

Good luck

M

that's where we got our product from. made three purchases so far. My husband is a contractor and never heard of vampire plugs. I told him about what I learned on the forums with the wire and plugs. He was skeptical. Got SPT 1 wire and SPT1 plugs. Oh he is a HUGE fan now since he is the one that wired everything up. Didnt quite use 2000 feet. I'm sure next year we can revamp things and use less with a better plan but I had a plan all laid out and didn't want to change things up too much. Trying to learn the sequencing, how to hook everything up, amps, channels, volts, LEDs, incadencents, how many you can hook to each other, all that math.... it was just alot to soak in the first year.

I found a useful website on making extension cords the other day.

http://www.johnsonschristmascorner.com/Cords.html

Really helped Alot so far I've made 6 and 3 tested fine.

Glad the site helped you out a bit. That's what it's there for! I will say I'm surprised by the 50% failure rate though- I have. Almost 2 miles of homemade extension SPT 2 cords and have never had 1 failure.

For the OP- I think the notes and suggestions by others in the thread make a lot of sense. Check you wire gauge, where you got your supplies from and, most of all, if you're using SPT1 plugs with SPT2 wire.

Good luck!

Check you wire gauge, where you got your supplies from and, most of all, if you're using SPT1 plugs with SPT2 wire.

Or the other way around. I had a high failure rate last year when I ran out of SPT2 wire, had to resort to SPT1, but didn't have any SPT1 plugs. Was tough to get the points to pierce the smaller wire.

Or the other way around. I had a high failure rate last year when I ran out of SPT2 wire, had to resort to SPT1, but didn't have any SPT1 plugs. Was tough to get the points to pierce the smaller wire.

2 or 3 times around the wire with elec tape will take up the gap and allow the prongs to pierce properly. (SPT1 wire with SPT2 plug)

tj

Thanks everyone for the tips..I have gotten the other cords that I made to work using the tips. I got really ticked off at the cords yesterday lol almost lost me religion a few time lol

Most of the folks that I see having issues is that they are mixing SPT 1 and 2 wires and plugs. I've made plenty of my own cords and have only had a maybe a handful of plugs that I couldn't make work. A very simple adjustment in making sure that the plugs actually penetrate the wire is usually all it takes.

I don't know if where there purchased from makes a difference...(You would think they all come from the same factory in China) Anyway I purchased all mine from CDI and their wire and did over 350 connections in warm & cold Temps and I'm happy to say "0" failures

Trying to learn the sequencing, how to hook everything up, amps, channels, volts, LEDs, incadencents, how many you can hook to each other, all that math.... it was just alot to soak in the first year.

+1 I'm taking my time with it I'm in no rush. The way I see it it's to late in the year to set up a show this christmas. The good thing is I have from now to then to learn all I can.

Glad the site helped you out a bit. That's what it's there for!

Hahaha I had a feeling that site belonged to a forum member. Thanks again for the info

I suspect this is similar but I had it bookmarked, and not taking the time to compare the two.

Custom extension cords & C7/C9 Stringers

Thanks for the link I'm going to check it out.