Light-O-Rama Forums

Time to step my game up - Questions to get started

keith5885

Hello my name is Keith and I am a light-o-holic.

I have done a few years with my basic 6 channel box and now I'm ready to kick it up to 16 channels this year. Although 32 would be pretty cool....

1. Here is a sample of what my old box did. This was my favorite of the 40 songs. I wish there was a song similar in the ones you can buy. (1st question is there?)

2. Here is the new design I am thinking about for this year. What do you think of the additions?

XmasSetupSmaller.jpg

3. For the sign that says Del Sur Christmas I thought I would use LED lights that can dim and use a peg board or drill holes in plywood. Any tips on that?

4. I didn't find any good LED wreaths online yet so I though I would create my own for the two wreaths up top too. Any other ideas or pre-made wreaths worth looking at?

5. I found these two items that look like they are LED. - Will they do the effect of dimming do you think? (They are shown to scale on house)

39 bucks for LED Candy Canes http://www.christmaslights.com/christmas-yard-decorations/lighted-christmas-yard-art/ledcandycane50bulbs.cfm

41 bucks for LED Ribbons http://www.christmaslights.com/christmas-yard-decorations/lighted-christmas-yard-art/ledbow50bulbs.cfm

6. I have labelled 28 channels but i think that is optimistic as I probably will only be able to afford 16. Any tips on how to make 16 out of that? I really wanted to use 8 for the columns but that may be a waste if I only have 16.

FYI - There are also 4 flood lights colored shining on house.

7. What are the top recommended VALUE LED lights that dim. Or do all LED lights dim or fade out?

8. Software - I downloaded it to try it out. Haven't given it a shot yet. Trying to see if I can do songs on my own pretty easily or not. I am pretty tech savvy and do film editing.

9. How long from when I order to when it gets delivered do you think for the residential controller package starter? Am I too late to start doing this? I have 5 weeks till I want to be live.

It's been fun reading all your forums and will continue to do so. Thanks for any comments! So impressed by your work. Hope to give it a good shot! I love how everyone has their own style.

- Keith

post-11299-0-08560500-1351831970_thumb.j

Probably too many questions... anyone got any feedback?

Trying to make the call on 16 or 32 channels. Trying to keep cost down so my fiance doesn't say anything. But 32 channels I think would look better with this setup.

Hello my name is Keith and I am a light-o-holic.

I have done a few years with my basic 6 channel box and now I'm ready to kick it up to 16 channels this year. Although 32 would be pretty cool....

1. Here is a sample of what my old box did. This was my favorite of the 40 songs. I wish there was a song similar in the ones you can buy. (1st question is there?)

It's not exactly the same, but it sounds similar to Trans-Siberian Orchestra's Wizards in Winter. If you search the various free sequence sites (do a search here), you'll undoubtedly be able to find a sequence. Lots of people have done that one.

2. Here is the new design I am thinking about for this year. What do you think of the additions?

Looks like a good plan. A little hard to tell what the 2 channels per columns are. 2 different colors?

3. For the sign that says Del Sur Christmas I thought I would use LED lights that can dim and use a peg board or drill holes in plywood. Any tips on that?

I've never done this, but others here have. Holidaycoro.com also has some coro board that you can buy that's pre-punched to make various letters with. Might want to check that out.

4. I didn't find any good LED wreaths online yet so I though I would create my own for the two wreaths up top too. Any other ideas or pre-made wreaths worth looking at?

Can't help you here.

5. I found these two items that look like they are LED. - Will they do the effect of dimming do you think? (They are shown to scale on house)

39 bucks for LED Candy Canes http://www.christmas...cane50bulbs.cfm

41 bucks for LED Ribbons http://www.christmas...dbow50bulbs.cfm

Hard to say from the descriptions. Probably best to contact them and ask.

6. I have labelled 28 channels but i think that is optimistic as I probably will only be able to afford 16. Any tips on how to make 16 out of that? I really wanted to use 8 for the columns but that may be a waste if I only have 16.

FYI - There are also 4 flood lights colored shining on house.

A few thoughts... Combine channels 7 and 9. Combine channels 8 & 10. Consider using only 4 channels for the columns. Or maybe 2 channels. There are lots of different options here. For example, maybe put col 1 and col 3 on the same channel (same for 2 & 4). You could save another channel by putting Del Sur Christmas all on the same channel. Maybe combine the bows. Combine 13 & 14 (from the picture, I'm not sure what the differences are). Depending upon how you want to use the floods, maybe they could all be on one circuit, or maybe two. And probably tons of other options I didn't mention. If you do the stuff I mention above, you'll save 11-14 channels, much more than you need to get down to 16.

7. What are the top recommended VALUE LED lights that dim. Or do all LED lights dim or fade out?

Not all LEDs dim. I haven't used them myself, but lots of comments here that the Martha Stewart LEDs from Home Depot don't dim. I'm sure there are others. Lots of other value LEDs that do, however. Philips (Target sells them), GE (Wal-Mart), and others. Might want to buy a box or two and test 'em yourself to be sure. A note, though... You will not likely get as much longevity out of them as you will the sealed, commercial grade stuff you'd get from companies like http://www.holiday-light-express.com/ or http://www.creativedisplays.com/, for example.

8. Software - I downloaded it to try it out. Haven't given it a shot yet. Trying to see if I can do songs on my own pretty easily or not. I am pretty tech savvy and do film editing.

Even if you're going to buy sequences or try to find some free ones, you're gonna need to know how to use the software to get things to line up with your layout. Spend time in the software. Read the user's manual. Look at the training videos (link at top of this page). Read the manual. Check the forum. Did I mention to read the manual? :) If you're pretty savvy, you'll be able to get the hang of it, but you're quickly running out of time, so start getting familiar with it right away. It's not super difficult, but it takes a lot of time.

9. How long from when I order to when it gets delivered do you think for the residential controller package starter? Am I too late to start doing this? I have 5 weeks till I want to be live.

I know they've been busy. Probably best to give them a call to find out. As for whether you're too late, that really depends upon how much time you have to dedicate to it between now and lights on. And how much of the props you might have to build, how many songs you want to sequence, extension cords you need to make/buy, sleep you need to get, paychecks you need to earn, time you plan to spend with the fiancee, etc. At this point, building props (if you need to make your sign and wreaths, for example) and sequencing the lights will likely be the two things that take you the most time. And yes - that likely includes your display setup. Some of us have been setting up for weeks and many of us have been sequencing all year. I have lots more channels than you're shooting for, but I have all my lights up already, all my controllers in the yard, all my sequencing finished, and I'm still looking at a solid 2 weekends of work before I can turn it on, just to get the extension cords made and plugged in and to get the network all connected. Not trying to scare you away. But also trying to set expectations. Lots of people try to get started on their first LOR show this time of year, get frustrated because it's not plug-and-play, and end up selling their hardware. Good for those of us looking for cheap, barely-used hardware. But not much fun for you. We'd rather you enjoyed yourself and got hooked by this addiction just like we have. :P

It's been fun reading all your forums and will continue to do so. Thanks for any comments! So impressed by your work. Hope to give it a good shot! I love how everyone has their own style.

- Keith

Trying to make the call on 16 or 32 channels. Trying to keep cost down so my fiance doesn't say anything. But 32 channels I think would look better with this setup.

Keith,

FIRST!!! you have to show the fiance who wears the lights in that relationship. Is it you???? or her????

You need to go with 32 channels to send a point. NOW!!!!!

If you don't stand your ground now, you won't have a chance later when the rings (on your fingers) come into play.

Show her you are crazy NOW. She will have to cave in IF she really loves you. If not, do the lights anyway and attract a heck of a lot more babes :D .

This is the test of time.

Do it I tell ya, do it NOW!!!

• Like 2

Wow Thank you so much for the great info. Glad to see good people here and helpful. Makes me really want to join the club. Since I posted I can't stop thinking about it. Been searching, watching videos and testing out the software. I think I am going with the Basic Plus as I like some of the wizards that it comes with. I think I am going to do 32 channels but I worry that it will take even longer to sequence so that has me worried.

I think I can do a lot with 16 channels. I talked with Don from Synchronized Christmas, Inc and he was very helpful.

I know I can at least get one song by go time. There is actually a neighborhood contest that is judged on 12/7 so that is my go go live date.

Does anyone know if I can build sequences on my nice computer and then use the same license on my crappy computer and run the show off of that? I assumed so...

I'm obviously a little crazy and get excited easily but she knows that. She tries to tame me at times but let's me run wild when she knows that I really want something. This wedding is going to cost WAY more than my light show. ;)

Does anyone know if I can build sequences on my nice computer and then use the same license on my crappy computer and run the show off of that? I assumed so...

You assumed correctly. You will get 5 seats with your license, so you can install on up to 5 computers.

• Like 1

Here's what I was thinking. Not sure if it will work for you or not...

http://www.holidaycoro.com/product-p/7.htm

As for the singing trees, some folks here have used them and they're very cool. Sequencing singing elements takes a lot of time. I haven't tried it myself, but I understand that it's very tedious. Probably not something to tackle at this point unless someone gives you the sequences for the singing characters.

Yeah Aaron... I think you may be right. But if I really want to not see my friends till January here is a good 32 channel design I am looking at. See attached.

I saw those letters. Thinking I can save by buying Coro by myself and punching the holes. Not sure what would work best for punching holes in coro yet.

I was thinking not all my songs would have the tree singing that way when it did come on for a song or two it would be a treat.

Only thinking of a show of 4 songs.

Wizards of winter (always dreamed of doing that one so I thought it would be a good start)

Hot Chocolate - The Polar Express looks cool and I could pass out hot chocolate to people. (tree could sing to this.) Maybe someone can share a singing sequence to this somewhere?

Lights - Ellie Golding - Maybe... it's a cool song.

and probably another Christmas classic that may have the tree singing...

Waking up early and falling asleep thinking about this... will figure it out somehow and will have something this year to improve upon for next year!

Thanks! If anyone has any 32 channel sequences to share let me know! I was searching forum but hard to locate them so far. Will keep looking.

Question if there is fading and some of the lights are incandescent is that a problem? will they just turn off when it starts the fade?

post-11299-0-30521400-1351962998_thumb.j

Is the next step to do the visualizer before doing the sequences? Is that an optional thing? I think it's pretty cool to see how things are looking.

It seems a little tough to create but I think I can get it.

You will find that incandescents fade great.

Oh! I thought only the LED string lights could fade. Wow big news to me. Hmm now I guess i can test them and then see if I want to go for partial LEDs or not.

Is the next step to do the visualizer before doing the sequences? Is that an optional thing? I think it's pretty cool to see how things are looking.

It's an optional thing. This late in the game, though, I would stick to the old fashion animation view, which is embedded in the Sequence Editor. (View -> Animation) Sure, it's old school pixel drawing, you can't overlay the colors, etc., but it's quick, and would give you a rough idea what the end product will be.

• Like 1

I can't tell about any technical stuff...but I can assure you that when you get started sequencing.... 16 won't be enough. You'll hear music and something will flash in your head.... I started with 16 now I have 48 and this is my first year. You won't waste those channels .... something will flash I tell ya.... you'll find something I mean...just by looking at your picture, there isn't anything in the yard... you'd have enough for some little displays, trees... or a small mega tree...

As for the music... that music on the Mr. Christmas, thats called Celtic.. you can Itune it probably. Or as stated earlier Trans Siberian Orchestra. Everyone uses them though. I am but I am using songs that most people don't. (Except Sarejavo, that's my favorite) I stayed away from the ones everyone else does.

I agree with Aaron on #9. He is a wise one. He has helped me out manya times. Thats the one thing I got to say. The folks on here are sooo cool and willing to share their information, even design ideas. sometimes even song sequecning. I used the same box you did for 2 years and though I love the celtic music, got sick of it over and over. I wanted to download my own songs. Songs I loved. looked into it, bingo! but it really does become an addiction. I was lucky that I got 2 barely used boxes cheap in like July when someone moved plus the one I bought. I've been sequencing since June. Started putting up my display 2 weeks ago. Kids wouldnt come to the house for trick or treat cuz they thought we didn't celebrate halloween cuz of the Christmas decorations. But every weekend has been filled with buying lights (probably got $2000 into it all this year easy) I still have incandescents and yes they do everything beautifully and they are more cost effective. I did buy LEDs for my roof only because of the amps I was needing to pull. slowly we are buying LEDs and will wait until sales or even for next year. My husband works in the workshop during the week on what we needed. He's the prop manager (I elected myself executive producer) He did all the wiring. We have probably over 200 hours in the sequencing and prop building. But last night a car came and stopped during our test. They had stopped the night before too...but this time they had kids in it. I got the seal of approval from a 4 year old 7 year old and 9 year old so those hours now feel like seconds.

And.... you aren't a lightaholic, you have CLAP (Christmas light addiction problem)... but don't worry, we don't judge here.... we all have it. And don't worry, your

looking at the video you made,,,,,looks like you have a good idea of how you want the lights to react to the music. I think you will be fine with 32 channels,I think 32 will be easier to program than 16. Start out doing wizards in winter it's easier to do because it don't have vocals

• Like 1

Thank you everyone. The support is very encouraging. I also got more encouragement from the fiance and her friends.

Now I am trying to get into the details of sequencing and reading all the other tips on how to do it well. I did find a wizards of winter 32 channel from this nice guy: http://www.pennlights.com/Sequences/

Although if I am going to do the singing tree for 8 channels I am pretty much doing 24 channels for wizards of winter. Which is fine but I am a bit of a perfectionist in just taking his sequence and hoping it looks up to my expectations with my setup. (But time factor may make me compromise)

This bitrate thing is puzzeling me a little. I thought I understood it. Either this guys is a little off sync with the song or something I did is messing it up. I am starting it right on time but buy the time it finishes and throughout the song it seems off the beat. I use goldwave and save it as 128000 BitRate. Any ideas? I'll keep researching too.

Starting to think I will just see what this guy did and try my own from scratch no matter how bad it is. It will be a learning experience. Another quick stupid question I haven figured out or seen the answer to: Can you play the sequence at anytime in the timeline or does it always have to start at the beginning?

2012-11-04_0815.png

Oh and haha yes I guess I have the CLAP or early forms of it!

Edited by keith5885

Ok I figured out more of my questions like how to play at a certain point. I also spent 30 min to create a quick visual to see how it looks. It wasn't that hard. See below.

Still trying to play with the song being a little off after it starts correctly.

Thanks James, I agree. Working on that one right now.

2012-11-04_1545.png

The spacebar will start/stop play. Click anywhere in the grid, tap spacebar, it will start from there. If you click and drag on the time scale along the top, it will highlight that section of song. Again use the spacebar, it will play only that section. You can sequence without moving the highlighted area untill you click inside the time scale again.

• Like 1

The spacebar will start/stop play. Click anywhere in the grid, tap spacebar, it will start from there. If you click and drag on the time scale along the top, it will highlight that section of song. Again use the spacebar, it will play only that section. You can sequence without moving the highlighted area untill you click inside the time scale again.

Wow thank you! I guess I should have watched all the videos but I am doing pretty good so far and that tip is helpful! Once I get my first song done I will share the visualization with you guys.

THIS IS FUN!!!!