Light-O-Rama Forums

leaping arches

JF1993

Hey everyone,

I really want to introduce four leaping arches into my show next year, but I'm still a newbie here and could use a few pointers. My question is about how many lights per string/channel are nessecary for about a 3 to 4 foot tall arch that has eight channels. I went out to Menard's and bought 16 strings of orange leds for the Halloween show (each string has 30 lights). I am planning on getting purple led lights for the other two arches, but I was wondering if 30 lights per channel is really enough for these.

Thanks,

JF1993

I have around a 3' arch I used with a 6 Channel Gemmy last year, I have a single standard 100ct incandescent string for each channel (600 in total) I'm sure there are calculators around that will help you estimate approximately how much lights you need for a desired arch. However the amount of lights needed depends on many different things, the circumference of the pipe, how tight/ dense you wind the lights, etc... etc...

First of all, I think you would be better off using an odd number of channels. I have 5 arches, 7 channels each using the sleeve method. 100 lights per sleeve, one sleeve per channel. An odd number gives you a "flow" over the top . Just my opinion.

• Like 1

Mine are eight 11" long sleeves, 100ct mini incands per sleeve, 11" long due to the bulb spacing, wrapped on 1 1/2" pvc, slid over 1/2" support pvc support pipe, 2' rebar in the ground hold the 7'-something pipe in the ground, abt 6' long, 2'-something high.

Takes abt 20 mins to wrap one sleeve. http://forums.lightorama.com/uploads/imported/279600=15507-2010-07-03%2022-57-46.972.jpg

U may want to consider ccr arches. For the price of 1 controller you can have a CCR making (2) 8' arches (no fuss no muss)....I have 4 CCRs for 8 arches in the front of my show

Yes TJ, but you still need a $200-250 controller (depending on which unit u buy). And you have only 1 color with 1 section of incans. I have limitless colors to choose from (and I use a lot less power too). For more bang for your buck use a CCR!!

They are daisy chained in just like a regular controller. CCRs come with their own controller and power supply. They are 150 channels plus 7 Macro channels. There are 50 pixels and each one can be a different color or the same color. All 50 pixels are individually controlled. Some folks have done 2 arches with 25 pixels on each arch or 4 arches with 13, 12, 13 and 12 channels. It all depends on how big you want your arches to be.

Edited by Ron Boyd

I use 5 sleeves per arch because 1 string sits perfectly on each 2 ft sleeve and 5 sleeves fits the 10' arch. I only use white LEDs on my arches.

Edited by Liberty-Laser

• 4 weeks later...

I'm new to the arches I'm going to sleeve 1 set of 50 LEDs on 15inch PVC pipe 8 sections for a 10 foot arch that im setting up. I'm using LOR's ready to go sequences that cant be tweeked and they are set for 8 channels per arch, how would I set this up for the 7 channels leave like channel 8 and 16 free or just put all 16 channels on for the 2 arches thanks

I based my arches off of Holdman's ( http://www.holdman.com/christmas/projects.asp ). 20 feet of PVC pipe ( I used two 10 footers), divided into nine sections, each section has 200 incandescent mini lights. I did run in to some issues with the controllers keeping up. The symptom was section stuck on, not all sections lighting. I after several posts on the forum and no resolution I tried taking the Easy Linker out and connected the controllers via wire. It worked no problems.

One other tip I would suggest, make up a wire harness to connect the arch with the controllers. Number the arch section male plug, mark a corresponding female plug on wire harness with the same number. Then mark the male plug on the harness with the controller channel. I have 4 arches, 36 channels, hooked up to the controllers in under 10 minutes and no incorrectly connected wires.

Lee

I think for those still building or thinking about it - you'll find the sleeve method FAR easier to assemble and repair. The problem with the older method was what-if/when the lights stop working in the middle? With sleeves, you just slide off the bad sleeve and slide a new one on, done.

If you have not bought anything yet...

CCRs are the way to go!

For a little more than the cost of the controller you get the controllers AND lights!

I wish I went that route with the ccr's. I ordered my 3rd controller last Friday and it is on the UPS truck to be delivered today. That was $282. Delivered and I just bought 16 sets of LEDs from Home Depot at $11 a box of 50 lights. For a grand total of $458. I didn't have to much time with work and kids to get into sequences so I got LOR's ready made ones for 48 channels. If I order one ccr I can use the new controller on a mega tree for next year. I wonder if I got the ccr how hard would it be to incorporate with the ready made sequences thanks

• Like 1