Light-O-Rama Forums

Wish List - Non Standard (greater than 512) Universe sizes

JonB256

I have shifted to DMX exclusively. Last year was my first (with the first versions of S3)

This year, I am using some Pixel based hardware from DIYLightAnimation. (aka, SmartStrings).

You talk to Smart Strings in a modified version of DMX called Pixelnet.

A DMX Universe has 512 channels.

A Pixelnet Universe has 8 times that, or 4096 channels.

There are two ways to output Pixelnet. Both are working just fine in LOR S3 right now. (but I can't use channels above 512)

One is a USB Dongle. It is a single Pixelnet universe.

The other is E1.31 with four Pixelnet universes. That's just over 16,000 channels from one little box.

Yes, I know it is non-standard. (not all the gain is from higher frequency output - Pixelnet doesn't waste time with long "break" periods between packets in the RS485 data stream)

But, that's a LOT of channels from one little box when your RGB pixel count gets really high.

Now, my wish-list / problem.

When I add a DMX universe, it only lists 512 channels. Nothing higher.

I'd like (this is the Wish Part) to have the option of 4096 channels.

or, if anyone has found a workaround that I'm missing, let me know.

thanks. JonB

7 year LOR user; not anxious to switch. :)

Because just typing out my thoughts above made me think of workarounds, I had to try something.

I created an Animation Sequence. I added a DMX Device and had it create 512 channels. Then saved the file.

The file is fairly simple XML code. I went to the bottom of the entries and created new lines for Channels 513 thru 520 but copy/paste/edit.

I also adjusted the savedIndex entries at the bottom for the new entries to match.

When I open the file in the Sequence Editor, it looks perfect! The channel numbers show 513 thru 520 as I'd hoped.

I can program in them, save, exit, re-open, and they don't get corrupted.

Now, I need to configure a device to be "channels 513 thru 520" and see if they output. I fully expect it to work. I'll be back.

So, there is potentially a workaround, but it will need a LOT of manual data entry or create a Macro to do the dirty work.

A few days of reading, testing, playing, reading, and here is what I know now.

RJ's PixelNet spec (whether it is proprietary or not) is actually a moot point because of the way he designed the input. It still conforms to blocks of 512 pixels for maximum compatibility with DMX output software (that supports E1.31). Meaning - it would work with virtually anything that can output E1.31.

What I failed to see, even though there was documentation and posts that made it clear when you read it closely, is that RJ's E1.31 output device, running PixelNet, actually listens to the first 32 Multicast addresses. (I originally said "uses the first 32" but as with any DMX type protocol, nothing actually gets "used" just "listened to")

In my current LOR S3 Network Preferences, I have Universes 1, 2, 3, and 4 reserved to talk to the above device.

I have a DMX Dongle configured to be Universe 5.

The reason things were working without conflict is that I don't have anything running PixelNet in the Universe 5 range, so I had no conflicts.

But - for Christmas, I will redo my Network Preferences to take up the first 32 E1.31 Multicast universes, THEN put my DMX dongle as #33.

I won't use that many channels. That's over 16,000 !!!

but it will prevent overlapping commands.

JonB