Light-O-Rama Forums

DMX Fog machine stops the show

PerryH

Last year I ran a fog machine controlled by DMX via iDMX1000. Everything was fine. This year things started out OK but now, after it heats up and does it's first squirt, the show shuts down. To clarify a little, the first couple of songs do not require smoke and things run OK. It is only after the DMX is used to signal fog that the show shuts down. Any ideas on what might be going on? Maybe a short in a cable or the circuit board in the fogger? I have to reboot the computer to get the show running again and the fogger will shut down the show every time. I will hate to have to monitor the fogger and use the remote all the time.

Does the sequence stop at the same point every time? Just out of curiosity, have you run the show with the fogger unplugged? Does the show stop with the device unplugged? Just seems odd to me that a discrete DMX device is able to shut down a show on a PC. To my knowledge, LOR isn't listening to RDM comunications from DMX devices so equipped, and so there would be no way to get any communications back to the LOR PC.

Just my two cents.

D.T.

Edited by DownTown

Show just started. Cue fog, I hear it start spewing, a couple of seconds later, lights out - but music still playing. Also, I hear the pods (magnets) in the USB cable "clicking". Computer will not shut down on its own with Windows Start / Shutdown. Looks like all of LOR software is not allowing computer to shut down. I hold power button down to reboot. While computer is rebooting I cut off & unplug fogger (power & DMX) show runs fine now.

Show just started. Cue fog, I hear it start spewing, a couple of seconds later, lights out - but music still playing. Also, I hear the pods (magnets) in the USB cable "clicking". Computer will not shut down on its own with Windows Start / Shutdown. Looks like all of LOR software is not allowing computer to shut down. I hold power button down to reboot. While computer is rebooting I cut off & unplug fogger (power & DMX) show runs fine now.

I ran my dmx fog machines through an open dmx dongle and they are working like a charm through LOR.

If you have a manual, see if the fogger uses the DMX cable for signalling or something besides just DMX input.

A picture of the fogger and its input area might help. Round cables ends? Did you make your own cables?

(If you have a manual, see if the fogger uses the DMX cable for signaling or something besides just DMX input.) The cable is used just for DMX signaling. It has a separate board and antennae for the remote.

(A picture of the fogger and its input area might help. Round cables ends?) Yes, your basic 3 pin DMX configuration and cabling, in and out.

(Did you make your own cables?) No, a short cable came with the fogger and all other cables work fine. I am also running 2 RGB Par lights in the system and they have no ill effects on the system.

• The topic was locked