Light-O-Rama Forums

DMX dongle losing connectivity...

grodq

I've been having sporadic issues with my DMX dongle. Every once in a while it will lose connectivity with the USB port and then the dmx lights go into their standard demo mode. The halloween show has been running for a week now and it has occurred three separate times. Twice during the show and once when the show was inactive (woke up the next morning to find the lights on). I'm using the DMXKing UltraDMX Micro dongle attached to 6 HolidayCoro 3 channel controllers.

The UltraDMX has an LED inside the dongle so you know when traffic is moving. When it loses connectivity the light is out. It takes a combination of pulling the USB plug and the dongle/cat5 connector to get it working again. The LOR listener shows no issues and picks right back up once the connection is made again.

It might be a side issue, but when it happens I get a couple of LOR channels that go crazy (random blinking). It appears this goes away once the DMX is fixed. I haven't really had a chance to test this theory, so I can't say the two are directly related.

I can't sit and watch the lights for the entire show (and especially when the Christmas show starts). Anyone had similar issues? What options do I have (I'll try another USB port as a first step)?

Any helpful insight is greatly appreciated.

It happened again sometime today. The RGB lights were on when I got home from work. This time I decided to close the LORlistener. It started right back up and the RGB lights were connected again.

Next time I guess I'll look at the task manager to see if the listener is still responding.

• 2 weeks later...

I would recommend running a test pattern outside of LOR using something like xLights to see if you can repo the problem. That way you can nail down if your problem is on the software or hardware side. Also, do you have details about how you have this setup wired? Are all the controllers in series or are they "Y"'ed off?

Update: Tried a new USB port, problem still happens. Looked at the task manager while it was happening, everything was still responding. I added a terminator to the end of my run, problem still happens. During Halloween I was able to to stay outside and watch what was happening. Random times during a song the DMX controllers would go into their no-signal mode and stay that way until the song sent a new DMX signal. Where they went into no-signal mode would not be during the same song or anything, it would just be random.

I have a 350 watt power supply and send each RGB light their own power using SPT1 wire. The DMX signal comes in via the first strip and I have the new holidaycoro splitter. 1 -> 2 -> 3 -> 4 -> 5 -> 6. I have the terminator on the splitter going to 6.

I talked to DMXKing and they were thinking maybe it was some power being sent back via their DMX dongle since the version I have does not have any isolation on it from that happening.

Update: Tried a new USB port, problem still happens. Looked at the task manager while it was happening, everything was still responding. I added a terminator to the end of my run, problem still happens. During Halloween I was able to to stay outside and watch what was happening. Random times during a song the DMX controllers would go into their no-signal mode and stay that way until the song sent a new DMX signal. Where they went into no-signal mode would not be during the same song or anything, it would just be random.

I have a 350 watt power supply and send each RGB light their own power using SPT1 wire. The DMX signal comes in via the first strip and I have the new holidaycoro splitter. 1 -> 2 -> 3 -> 4 -> 5 -> 6. I have the terminator on the splitter going to 6.

I talked to DMXKing and they were thinking maybe it was some power being sent back via their DMX dongle since the version I have does not have any isolation on it from that happening.

Do ALL the controllers go into their built-in sequence at the same time?

Have you tested using xLights in their test mode, say rolling through RGB+W+Off?

What do you mean by "the DMX signal comes in via the first strip"? Are you refering to the DMX controller that controls the strip?

Have you performed power consumption tests using a meter (not the fake specs that are all posted) when they are all white? If so what is the wattage for ALL controllers and strips? The reason I ask is what you are describing sounds a bit like a over-loaded power supply either re-setting or dropping the power low enough that the controllers re-set.

Have you tested this with, say, half the ccontrollers+lights hooked up? Does it do it then?

Do ALL the controllers go into their built-in sequence at the same time?

Have you tested using xLights in their test mode, say rolling through RGB+W+Off?

What do you mean by "the DMX signal comes in via the first strip"? Are you refering to the DMX controller that controls the strip?

Have you performed power consumption tests using a meter (not the fake specs that are all posted) when they are all white? If so what is the wattage for ALL controllers and strips? The reason I ask is what you are describing sounds a bit like a over-loaded power supply either re-setting or dropping the power low enough that the controllers re-set.

Have you tested this with, say, half the ccontrollers+lights hooked up? Does it do it then?

Yes, I've tested via x-lights. Seems to work just fine. As far as the power consumption, I don't have a meter, but I should be within range. I turned all the lights to white and left them on for an hour with no issues.

I haven't done any testing with half controllers or anything like that. All the lights are down now (at least for a couple days then the Xmas lights start going up). Everything works great if I just run RGB through any of the testing modes (xlights, LOR sequence, dmxking configuration utility). It's only when I run it with LOR do I have a problem and it's always somewhere different in the show. I actually caught the problem on one of my halloween videos. The RGB lights are on the 6 porch posts (between the faces). The video starts out with them flashing, then they turn off, then at around the 29 second mark the problem happens (you can see the porch posts turn a variety of colors real quick), then the sequence starts the RGB lights from right to left and the problem goes away.

http://youtu.be/xQqf21voinE

I talked to DMXking again and since I'm running one power supply they don't think it's any kind of spiking getting sent back up the signal. They did recommend separating the AC from the DC lines as much as possible. They were all laying on top of each other when I had the problem. Didn't know if there was any chance for bleed over or anything weird like that.

Yes, I've tested via x-lights. Seems to work just fine. As far as the power consumption, I don't have a meter, but I should be within range. I turned all the lights to white and left them on for an hour with no issues.

I'd always recommend actual testing instead of basing calculations on what are VERY incorrect specs on some of these "cheap" RGB products. It's cheap insurance and doesn't take that long. Think of it a little like tasting the sauce you're cooking before serving it to your guests.

ll the lights are down now (at least for a couple days then the Xmas lights start going up). Everything works great if I just run RGB through any of the testing modes (xlights, LOR sequence, dmxking configuration utility). It's only when I run it with LOR do I have a problem and it's always somewhere different in the show. I actually caught the problem on one of my halloween videos. The RGB lights are on the 6 porch posts (between the faces). The video starts out with them flashing, then they turn off, then at around the 29 second mark the problem happens (you can see the porch posts turn a variety of colors real quick), then the sequence starts the RGB lights from right to left and the problem goes away.

I think you have a big indicator as to the possible root cause of your issue.

I talked to DMXking again and since I'm running one power supply they don't think it's any kind of spiking getting sent back up the signal. They did recommend separating the AC from the DC lines as much as possible. They were all laying on top of each other when I had the problem. Didn't know if there was any chance for bleed over or anything weird like that.

I think the last major test would be to switch out with a Enttec to see if the DMXking unit could be a root cause of the issue, if it makes no difference - there is only one likely root cause.

I think you have a big indicator as to the possible root cause of your issue.

I know, that's what I'm leaning towards also. I guess we'll see what happens in a couple weeks when I start testing the Christmas lights.

I guess I should also invest in one of those kill-a-watt gizmos. That'll let me know my power consumption, right?

I know, that's what I'm leaning towards also. I guess we'll see what happens in a couple weeks when I start testing the Christmas lights.

I guess I should also invest in one of those kill-a-watt gizmos. That'll let me know my power consumption, right?

I think you'd find a multimeter a more useful item - the kill-a-watt is for AC only devices - the meter will work for both. For information:

http://www.holidaycoro.com/kb_results.asp?ID=18

• 1 month later...

I'm having this exact same problem myself with the same dongle. I'm not normally watching the show but usually catch it after the show ends and the floods are running through their sequence. (All lights except floods are LOR and they work perfectly) Unloading the LOR control panel and bringing up xlights controls the floods fine. I can restart LOR Control Panel and everything is fine. Then the next day I notice the floods in their sequence again. Nothing is scheduled during the night. It's becoming frustrating and I don't know where the problem is (either dongle or LOR). Have you noticed any other pattern for when it happens?

I'm having this exact same problem myself with the same dongle. I'm not normally watching the show but usually catch it after the show ends and the floods are running through their sequence. (All lights except floods are LOR and they work perfectly) Unloading the LOR control panel and bringing up xlights controls the floods fine. I can restart LOR Control Panel and everything is fine. Then the next day I notice the floods in their sequence again. Nothing is scheduled during the night. It's becoming frustrating and I don't know where the problem is (either dongle or LOR). Have you noticed any other pattern for when it happens?

Since xLights can play sequences just like the LOR scheduler, I'd recommend running the sequence for a period of time in xLights and see what occurs. If the problem continues, you have a hardware (dongle/DMX output interface, controller, wiring, PC/driver) issue if the problem goes away, you have and issue with the software.

I'd also recommend just loading up a test sequence with just RGB output and try that also, it might exclude some oddities within the sequence itself.

I've tried running the LOR sequence with no RGB (problem still occurs), with only RGB (problem still occurs), new cat 5, separating the RGB from all power sources, just a few RGB modules, problem occurs in all of them. I ended up just unplugging it all as it just upset me too much to see my show screwed up because of it.

Running the RGB via Xlights testing (not an lor sequence) or the utility from DMX King and everything works wonderfully. Only when it's running from LOR do I encounter the problem.

The only solution I could find was to send a constant change in the RGB (off, 1%, off, 1%, off, 1%, etc every 1/20 of a second) just so it would get a signal, twas a pain to incorporate that into all 32 sequences, but it resolved the problem of some of the RGB elements losing connectivity. But this solution did not prevent the other problem of the dongle losing connectivity entirely.

I have Jason (DMX King) and Bob (LOR) testing the dongles with LOR to see if there is a problem. No solution yet and the lights are coming down tomorrow so I won't be able to test anything and since I'm adding a lot more RGB to the show I'll probably try a different product for 2013.

if your intent on using LOR as your main software, after reading this post, i would try uninstalling LOR completely and re-installing, maybe try a different computer also.

• 2 weeks later...

I'm in the same predicament. I'm planning to add pixels next year so will be using another product anyway. This adapter will likely remain a test dongle for new elements before they go into my show. But it would still be good to know what was going on and if there is a fix to it. Who knows I may want to keep it and use within the show for an additional element.

• The topic was locked